BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Travel in 31' TT - Safe, Sane, Practical??
JEFE

[*] posted on 10-16-2005 at 09:29 PM
Travel in 31' TT - Safe, Sane, Practical??

Newbie here. Would like to introduce myself. I am getting into Baja travel once again. Traveled to tip a couple of times solo (camper on truck and was single at the time - alot braver/easier when you're single-LOL!). Loved boondocking at various beaches along my travels (Coyote, Nopolo, etc.).

Now looking to pull the trigger on a 2002 31' Prowler TT with slide and was wondering if those who travel with a TT think this rig is too long and will bring about problems with RV parks/beaches. Plan is to stay in RV Parks and do some boondocking when possible (availability of water/waste dumping will prevent more of this).

I plan on taking family down to La Paz next year and need the larger size TT for myself, wife and 2 kids and also because we plan on camping in the US (Sierras, Lake Tahoe, River, beaches, etc.).

Any input is appreciated!
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2005 at 10:08 PM

Sounds like a blast. You should be able to side trip anywhere you want from your base. Just pull over when you can to let all the folks stuck behind you pass. Have way too much fun.

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-17-2005 at 02:44 AM

I did it in 2000 in a 26' TT all the way to Cabo and back to San Felipe. We had a great time and didn't have any trouble finding an RV park with space available in any of the towns. Todos Santos was my favorite with Santispac Beach, south of Mulege, being a close second. La Paz had a couple of great places too.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:24 PM

what is a TT? and how long is the slide? is that the kind for kids?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 09:38 PM

The length of the trailer shouldn't be a problem unless you try to drive through Mulege to the lighthouse with it.

It really depends where you want to go.
The ground clearance may be the issue. Getting into places like El Requeson is a bit tough without scraping the bottom but others nearby are no problem as the entry roads are more level.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 09:57 PM
Bruce!

You are a very funny man, thank you! He means a Travel Trailer with a slide-out section that turns into an expanded room or another room.Sounds like a mighty fine way to do Baja, but definatly no off-roading with that length (unless you have it prepared for such). I have spent a good part of my life living in T. T.s' and all in Baja, with kids. :tumble:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 11:46 PM

Come on, Bruce knew exactly what was being said, he's a savy business man. He's just trying to ring up other point to stay on pace with DK!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 10:35 AM
Bruce MAY have been kidding-----

but I can tell you that I had no idea what a "TT" was, and I did not know what "slide"meant, either. Some of us are RV illiterate. (challenged??)
JEFE

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 09:58 PM

thanks for the responses

When we go, i will research RV parks in close proximity to place I enjoy -- BOLA, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz
awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 05:06 PM

Jefe, Have you taken your trip with your 31 ft TT w/slide? If so, would like to know how it worked out.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 06:28 PM

depending on your tow rig you should be able to go anywhere any big moterhome goes and with a 4wheel drive maybe a lot more
have a goon one jerry

jerry and judi
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 08:35 PM

I bought a 27' t.t. some years ago to bring down to Baja for beach camping. (no slide outs) First thing I did was take it to a dealer in my town & asked them to respond to the axle size, and check the brakes. We ended up replacing the two axles with heavier axles, & heavier springs. Coming out of Rattlesnake one season, broke spring as I pulled onto the highway 1 Rescued by the Green Angels. They got me off the highway by wiring up the spring. Then I drove to town leaving the t.t. at the Puerto Escondido junction to grab one of the new springs I had brought down on my original trip. Thank you again Green Angels. And NO CHARGE!!!!
And new brake shoes for the used heavy duty axles was good security after decending the Santa Rosalia grade. Brakes were smoking bytime we got to the bottom. I also was able to get several more inches on height with all this change. Depending upon your tow rig, you'll have a great time. Keeping in mind with that much length, it will require very exact attention to the road at all time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.