Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Reinventing the Taco
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:07 AM
A great dessert Burrito

A flour tort with a couple squares of a hersery bar, fold it like a chimi and deep fry or pan fry very quickly then sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yummy!!!!!!!!! Can also be placed on the grill like a quesadilla. k:tumble::bounce::spingrin:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Monia
Junior Nomad

Mood: Peacefully Remaining

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:30 AM

Jesse,

Good luck to you! I recommended your restaurant to some family members who wanted a new place to try, they will be there next week. I make great tacos with fresh shrimp, any sauce goes, garlic/butter, chipotle, crema fresca and some lettuce/cabbage for garnish, you can call them "Monica's tacos"!!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:35 AM

To Bajalero's potato taco add raisins and schreded casrrots like my wife's aunt did with her tamales.

Comitans Hawaiian Taco add spam as they do to everything.

my wife's mother used to make flour tortillas with cottage cheese--they were to kill for. Never heard anyone else doing this.

Hook, now you got me thinking about food.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:37 AM

Jesse, if you really want to impress people, at least the dinner crowd, set up a small comal on a raised platform in the dining area. Hire a lady wearing indigenous dress to sit there on a petate making tortillas by hand. There is nothing that can compare with a fresh, hot tortilla right off the comal. Just for show, you could have her occassionally grind some corn on a metate. Of course your hoped for volume would require supplementing the masa from the kitchen, but the visual and olfactory effect would be killer.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 10:50 AM

Take crab meat and combine it with cooked carrots, celery, onions and mango. mould it into small cakes and refrigerate. Take balls and roll in egg yellow and then in coconut. Deep fry until golden brown. Place several in a tortilla with shredded lettece and drizzle a mustard, balsamic vinegar sauce over it.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 10:59 AM

Bajaden

Sounds like a great taco, but I think they should be dipped in the white of the egg to hold together and brown.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 11:14 AM

I re-invent the taco almost daily. The recipie starts out; ""open the refrigerator door, see what's inside and make a taco out of it."

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Bajaden

Sounds like a great taco, but I think they should be dipped in the white of the egg to hold together and brown.

It will work with just the yellow. However, your right about the white. I just like the way it browns up with the yellow. Hell just use the whole egg.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 02:55 PM

take a whole wheat tort and spread it with cream cheese and spread your favorite jam, roll it up and fry till golden brown sprinkle with powder sugar. Yum! Vegi tacos, spicy fried zuc"s and black beans, cheese, tom let. onion, avacado's. Topped with carrot and cabbage salsa. Gotta go and get a taco fix!

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 09:49 AM

Jesse, I recommend Tacos Japon?s. This was the Okinawan effort to satisfy the Jarheads' craving for Mexican fare in the mid 1950's. The problem was lack of corn, white or yellow. So they made their masa from rice. Quite tasteless, very crispy when fried, but that was all we had. For the adventurous there was Tacos Unagi, (eel), Tacos Tako, (octopus, how extraordinarily appropiate) Tacos Kujira, (whale), Tacos Ebi, (shrimp), Tacos Sakana, (fish), Tacos Gy?niku, (beef) and Tacos Sea Urchin. The one taco everyone was afraid to try was Tacos Fugu, (blowfish) This was a delicacy that was fatal if the fugu was not properly prepared.

Your clientele will probably be limited to grizzled, old, retired Marines from the Naval Service Retirement Home and some Japanese tourists with cameras dangling from their necks. Good luck with the new menus and rice tortillas. RRC
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 05:44 PM
Oso/Jesse

They do that in Old Town San Diego and the people wait in line on the sidewalk to buy tortilla's (flour) for 50cents a piece. They are very good but the show and smell is what does the selling.

ElNido's in Rosarito does the same thing but they cook them on a tin sheet over a oak fire and when I go in for breakfast I may not really be hungry but after watching the lady and smelling the aroma's I am starved when the Nopales and eggs finally get to the table.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:00 PM

Bernie

Tortilla's 50cents a piece, that sounds very expensive?

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:14 PM
Comitan

You got it--but even my wife pays the price because of the show and the aroma. Six bucks a dozen and she will not share them with anyone. I guess they are really good--they smell great--perhaps if she drops one I can tell you how they taste.

I guess I should tell you she only weighs 112 pounds.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:24 PM

Bernie

You better come back to Baja, how can you afford it. Hope your not eating them, I call them heart plugs. I only eat corn tortilla's and Masa or not when I go down by a kilo from the tortillaria for 8 pesos bring them home hot I get soooo hungary.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:36 PM
Comiten

Corn are my favorites also--but my doctor says no to to any such thing and a bunch of other good stuff also.
I would to come back but there is my heart doctor again--A real party pooper.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 06:54 PM

Bernie

I'm very sure there is no bad fat in corn tortilla's its the flour ones that are bad. by the way I'm a thousand miles from my heart doc. in La Jolla, so far so good. four ways 9 years ago.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 08:58 PM
Hose A

WE had a lady in camp, Lois, who sipped Tequila for over 50 years and the doctors told her to quit when she was 86. I closed her eyes about 6 months later. What do they really know????

Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 06:38 AM

They make another meat in Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconson area, I forget the name of it, but its ground up beef and pork, I bet that would make a good taco too.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2005 at 06:40 AM

They make another meat in Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconson area, I forget the name of it, but its ground up beef and pork, I bet that would make a good taco too.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.