Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parque Nacional Observatory trip
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:20 PM
Parque Nacional Observatory trip

Just got back from a real quick trip down to the Parque Nacional. This was my first time to the park and I really didn't know what to expect, especially since a storm just passed through. But, I was itching to get to Baja and check out my new truck before my extended trip in December.

The drive down was uneventful for the most part except for one mishap. Before leaving San Diego, I went to withdraw some money from the atm at my credit union. It was a new card and for some reason the atm froze after I entered the card. I decided that I would fill up a spare gas can and all should be okay. I still had 500 pesos from my last trip.

The drive was beautiful with clear skies and bright sunshine. I felt like a king crusing down in my new Tacoma Access Cab. The extra power was great passing cars on the grades. For the most part, though, I took my time and enjoyed the morning.

I won't go into too much detail as I know David K recently posted a great detailed report. But, there is a lot of work on the road. There is new pavement to the Meling Ranch and on stretches past as well. The workers were just laying cement on the water crossing. Also, they are preparing the road past the Meling ranch for paving as well. The paved road finally gives way to dirt about 7 miles before the park. The road has some areas that are pretty rutted out due to recent rains...definately take a high-clearance vehicle.

I arrived at the park about 1:00pm. A group of motorcyclists were being turned away as the park doesn't allow motorcycles...so be forewarned. I registered with the ranger and paid a 20 peso fee (10 pesos per person per day).

I checked out many camp sites and finally situated myself under some large pines. I set up camp, gathered wood, and was off on a hike. (On my hike, the rangers's dog joined me. She would stay with me until I left today...it was great having company.) I could not believe how beautiful the park was...and most importantly, I was the only one there.

There were some patches of snow on the ground but the weather was in the low 70s during the day. At night, it dropped down to the low 30s. There was plenty wood nearby and I had a great fire. This morning, I went for a long run and felt the effects of the high altitude.

I crossed at TJ about 3:30 this afternoon after a 30 minute wait. I definately will return when I have more time to explore. The ranger said that they give tours of the Observatory from 10-2 or something along those times.

Zac

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:26 PM

good job zac- glad to hear only one "mishap". and seeing how the temps were only in the low 30's, i guess it was only a "1 dog night" .

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2005 at 06:38 PM

Awesome place. Hope the road does not change the feeling of solitude, although it will allow many more people to experience the area. You MUST see the view from the observatory. Did you see any condors flying around? We will be heading back up there this spring.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 01:07 PM
thanks bajaboy

Tell me, were you camping in the meadow areas that are fringed with the conifers (evergreens)? Did you observe any signs of cattle grazing (the USUAL signs that force you to watch where you step) or see any herds.

I camped there many years ago and the herds were a bit of a problem. Rather territorial. And they are not quiet and detract from the smell of pines.

It was beautiful but the cows were a downer.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 01:13 PM

Hook-

I took a look at those campgrounds...they were nice but had water in the meadow and road. I knew that I was going to run and didn't want to have to get wet. I camped on the road going to the left from the main road. I didn't see any signs of cattle, either.

Zac

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 03:49 PM

Here is the entrance to the park

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 03:53 PM

As you enter the park you can camp to the right or left...I chose left, of course. Zac

[Edited on 10-25-2005 by Bajaboy]

[Edited on 10-25-2005 by Bajaboy]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 04:22 PM

One more picture

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 05:41 PM

Nice trip, nice report, and nice truck Zac (good choice on the color)!

I highly recommend you pick up Graham's third book 'Nearer My DOG To Thee, a summer in Baja's sky island', as you will really discover what Graham did ... and his research is great... also which mushrooms to eat (LOL) and which to avoid!

http://www.grahammackintosh.com

[Edited on 10-26-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 05:27 AM

nice report
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 03:04 PM

Yes, yes.

A very good report. I shall to go there.

Thank you

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.