BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "In search of Captain Zero" any other book recommendations?
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 09:25 AM
"In search of Captain Zero" any other book recommendations?

Can any-one recommend a good book about stories from Baja, Mexico, or Central America?

I'm willing to trade idea's. Check out this book

" In search of Captain Zero"

It's a great surfing and travel book. The guy travels from Montauk, through baja, to the main land and down to central america in search of his friend. Many travel misadventures and surfing stories along the way. It's not all Baja but it's a great read.

Short Summary;

In 1966, Allan Weisbecker "made a Manhattan run from the landlocked suburbs" to take in a siren-song movie called The Endless Summer, a documentary that depicted the carefree life of two beach bums who roamed the world in quest of the perfect wave. Weisbecker was hooked, and he became a hardcore wave rider, a fixture on the Long Island surf scene. With a friend, Christopher, he also undertook illegal ways to finance his passion, transporting drugs from exotic countries, a business only briefly interrupted when Christopher went off to Vietnam. There he took fire and came home scarred; something in him changed, and one day he simply vanished.
Weisbecker's book, a sort of gonzo detective story blended with travelogue and peppered with hang-10 jargon, does many things, all of them very well indeed. It offers up a vision of innocent times brought to ruin by war and drugs; it recounts his search for his lost friend, whose life had gone from bad to worse far away from home; and it affords a look inside the strange culture of surfing, whose masters "understood, in a visceral and soulful and inexpressible way, the machinations of the sea, and, by subtle inference, the universe at large."
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 11:38 AM

His other book, "Cosmic Banditos" is also good.
I still like "King of the Moon" for a great Baja story.
"Almost an Island" is another favorite of our customers.
"Mexico" by Mitchner is my all time favorite for history of Mexico and actually got me interested in bull fighting.
Many Baja books are available from my web site.
Happy Reading...there is plenty to choose from

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 12:01 PM
I would definitely suggest...

anything by Graham Mackintosh...i've read 2 of his books and could not put either one down,his first book "Into a desert place" is a true account of his walk around the entire Baja peninsula,its a must read for any Baja enthusiast...his books definitely inspire one to get out there and do some exploring

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.