BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: The Last days of the "old" East Cape....
No, I think resorts, golf courses, scores of new homes will only enhance the atmosphere of the East Cape beaches. More people is better. -- 0 (0%)
--- 1 (2.78%)
Yes, these are the final days. Soon it will be wall to wall gringos from San Jose to Los Barriles. Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can. --- 20 (55.56%)
--- 1 (2.78%)
The place was spent years ago..." I remember when you had to fly in and the fishing was off the charts!".... the good old days came and went along time ago. --- 14 (38.89%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Last days of the "old" East Cape....
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 05:43 AM
The Last days of the "old" East Cape....

Development is taking it's toll on the East Cape...Los Barriles is more gringo than Mexican...the beaches are closed to ATV's... the old "tin boat" crowd at La Capilla are gone and soon the place will be leveled for yet another golf course and resort. Rumor has it there will more of the same at La ribera...And the development at light house estates spreads from Punta colorada to the light house, threatening to ruin one of the most amazing spots on the planet forever.

Are these the last of the good old days?
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 05:55 AM

Times, they are a changin.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 07:35 AM

Golf courses sure use a lot of water! Do that many people play it? Is this for when there is no more fish in the sea?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 07:54 AM

So,???? what are you or anybody else on this Nomad forum going to do about it???????????
The answer is nothing!!!!

This is the business of the local Mexicans who own the lands, and their Governments to do with it, as their needs demand.

The foreigners here living or visiting, have no voice or any actions in the "politic" of this Republic.

If the local Mexican owners sell in order to receive dollars(pesos), which benefit their families, or for that matter squander their wealth, it is nobody's business but their own.

Seems like the Americans, as a whole, just have too much time on their hands, and want to get into other's businesses.

If you don't like it, then go somewhere else, maybe Hawaii, it's in your own country!

Saludos,,,,,mc
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 08:24 AM

Well I guess we've been told!!! But you have to admit he's right, Its about time we stop critisizing what the Mexicans are doing to thier country. The developement is going to happen whether we like it or not. Just heard yesterday La Paz new development huge amusement park, water slide, hotels encompassing hundreds of acres.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 08:56 AM

But we Americans are such good authorities on such subject matter as turning pristine landscape into something less pristine accessable to a smaller demographic of the population. I express concern more than criticism.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 08:57 AM

It makes me feel as if I'm a newly reformed crank addict watching my dear friend take his first line.
MH_Stevens
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 09:17 AM

All one can do is sigh and make sure you benefit too. When you find and area developing you are lucky for that knowledge as you can buy-in now. I hate progress more than anyone but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Cheers,

Mike Stevens
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 09:27 AM
Other market factors may affect this.....

The condition of the world economy may have a say in if or how quickly this area might continue to develop. America's burgeoning debt is eventually going to affect the entire world. Probably not a calamity but a definite tightening. Driving there will be more expensive and so will flying there.

It's also rather short-sighted to say that foreigners have no say in it and should butt out; last time I checked these developments were not being marketed to Mexicans. So, we, in the collective target market, will have a say. It will be a question of how much disposible income we might have to invest in homes that will be a second home for probably 80% (at least) of the potential buyers. Personally, I think we are entering a period of DECLINING disposible income; we just exited a period of INCREASING disposible income.

Maybe the biggest drawbacks I see to personally wanting a place in the East Cape is the continued decline of the resources, particularly the fishing. Illegal netting continues unchecked and counts continue their slow decline. Naturally, there's no hard figures on this from Mexico (and how much would you trust them if there were?). But it's a general perception from viewing independent reports over the years. Yeah, there will be the occasional flurry of big tuna that managed to avoid the nets for a time. Or an unusual period where billfish and dorado are congregated. But the fishing has declined from only 8 years ago. What conservation measures are in the offing that will stem this? None that I have heard. Even if ALL commercial fishing were banned tomorrow in Mexico City, enforcement (or lack, thereof) always rears it's head. There really is none.

And don't underestimate the attraction of fishing. Yeah, I may be mostly a fisherman. But I suspect that's the attraction for many.

But maybe the biggest challenge to resources is what David K referred to; water. From what I've read, the aquifers that exist deep in the peninsula are not able to be replenished from their original sources. They are finite. Maybe desal plants could make up for this but they are expensive and Mexico doesn't have a great reputation at putting in this kind of infrastructure until long after it's needed.

The march towards development will probably only be slowed, ultimately. There will be enough rich people with disposible income or enough ignorant people who will extend themselves beyond reason to keep the earthmovers moving.

But, personally, I am not interested in living in an area that is moving the quickest to becoming EXACTLY what I am trying to get away from; urban sprawl. It is also a heated real estate market that could easily be subject to some significant corrections.

My vote was for this being the last of the tolerable period.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 09:59 AM

Last of the Good Ol Days were somewhere around "75" for me, when they paved the road down. I was furious and did not return to Lower California until the end of the "80's".

Well, I finally got over it and figured out that I am a gringa too, by golly. So, I jumped into the middle of it and embrace the development along with all those that work and benefit from it and support their familes in this new era. No lookin back, just roll with the flow.

By the way; if you want to the old Baja, just go where there is no road, via boat or mule, there are lots of beaches where no one sets foot, it is all still there for those of you who don't want the development, you just have to get off the beaten path to find it, just like before.

[Edited on 10-27-2005 by Eli]
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchuck
So,???? what are you or anybody else on this Nomad forum going to do about it???????????
The answer is nothing!!!!

This is the business of the local Mexicans who own the lands, and their Governments to do with it, as their needs demand.

The foreigners here living or visiting, have no voice or any actions in the "politic" of this Republic.

If the local Mexican owners sell in order to receive dollars(pesos), which benefit their families, or for that matter squander their wealth, it is nobody's business but their own.

Seems like the Americans, as a whole, just have too much time on their hands, and want to get into other's businesses.

If you don't like it, then go somewhere else, maybe Hawaii, it's in your own country!

Saludos,,,,,mc

I probably do have too much time on my hands, but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned about the ruination of a beautiful place. Your right. I really can't personally do very much about it. It is up to the mexican goverment and the people to do something about it.

We do however influence that to some extent with our money. Tricky subject. Do we deprive some of the poor people here of a living by not investing in their country? Or do we continue to pour money into the economy and fuel the fire of growth.

I don't have the answers, so I guess I'll just look for a dirt road. Maybe I'll run into Eli.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 07:34 PM
the OLD days!

Yea, Sally, aka Eli, you and I have had differences, but you are spot on with your post!
I don't like the change much either, even though I still feed and clothe my family by construction work here. Kinda a catch 22 damn thing for us! We want the Norte Americanos, to buy property so that we can get the contract to build a nice house for them, but after a while, ya got ta wonder, Damn this aint what we came here for!!
But as you said, there is still a whole lotta turf out there that is off the maps, just get off your burro if ya can, and if your young enough, go look around! Baja Sur is still there, just not in the mainstream of the beach areas!! There is still a lot of places for the youthful set, go and find it!!!
Personally, when it gets to wierd, I"m going to the ranch to retire!
For the rest of ya, go inland, look around, cool stuff!
And for some that want beach homes, and one row or two back, give us contractor types an call!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 05:33 AM

MRCHUCK you are right on my man!, i have been saying this all along when all the other negative growth pundits would whine about all the development in baja.

Developments...they happen in the world....since frickin cave man times....its called civilization,

and Eli - good for you and your positive attitude!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 07:27 AM

Being in my 70's I have a lot of stories that start with ''I remember when". Many about Baja, but also about the Pacific Coast. Times change, but I still get that great feeling inside when I look down on LA Bay & the islands or looking towards the lighthouse from Punta Colorado. I remember.....
MH_Stevens
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 12:40 PM

I have a Time-Life book "The American Wilderness-Baja California" published in 1972. It would blow you sentimentalists away!

Cheers,

Mike Stevens
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 02:22 PM
Second posting of this but it fits

The Second Corridor

Every now and then we talk to local real estate agents for the entertainment value.
Over the weekend we spoke with one about what was happening here in San Jose. Not only is the Puerto Los Cabos Marina going in at La Playa but the Chilleno Bay Marina and the Santa Maria Marina will soon follow.
He informed us that from El Presidente to Shipwrecks is now called the second corridor. Between La Playa and Buzzards will be bumper to bumper beach front homes and condos. From Buzzards to Punta Gorda will be the POLO club with golf courses and of course the truly Mexican sport of polo?!?!?!? Oh and another marina
On the other side of Punta Gorda will the a Mayan Resort with a Km of beach front that runs back 5 kms
Past that, the group that owns Pueblo Bonito also have plans for a huge resort.

This was merely an informational post not an opinion of anything. I "heard" this from a real estate agent who's in the front lines of development.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.