Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: poor service
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 11:33 AM
poor service

I?ll try to make this long story short(er).

I have a Yamaha 3000 isb generator that initially met my power needs in baja. After a few trips it would overload in no time. As it was still under warranty I took it to Bay City Electric in Lakeside to have it load tested and they said it was fine. Having load tested it myself I already knew that and told them so, that the problem was when loads cycled it was no longer able to handle demand. They insisted it was fixed so I took it to baja and, of course, it didn?t work. This was after I had done a full service on it to eliminate any maintenance issues. I took it back to Bay City and told them it didn?t function correctly and they re-tested and said everything was fine. In the mean time I had contacted the Yamaha tech personnel by using Bay City?s dealer # and told them what I thought the issue was. You can not talk to those guys unless you have a dealer # and they kind of flipped out when I told them I was just Joe Shmoe. Their customer service people really flipped out. They sent me a paper that had the trouble codes on it and confirmed what I thought. I showed these to Bay City because they did not want to call the tech guys themselves and they still were unable to comprehend the issue. They charged me $80 to get my generator back and I took it straight to Fun Bike Center. I went thru the whole thing again and they told me to come get it, that it was fixed. I fired it up right there and the trouble codes were still showing. I told them it was not fixed. The mechanic came out to speak to me and I showed him the codes. He was very apologetic and promised to fix it. I suggested that he take the converter out and throw it as far as he could and slap a new one in. Apparently he did this because when I came back the converter was new and the code lights were green like they were supposed to be. I called Bay City Electric and informed the shop manager that, indeed, my problem was a warranty issue and he stated he would refund my money. It took me almost 2 months and many un-returned phone calls on my part to get it back and that was only after I disputed the VISA charge thru my bank. The manager there, Tim Roberts, is not customer oriented at all, in fact he would not return my calls unless I had the Yamaha customer reps call him first. I would classify him as being pretty much a (insert favorite derogatory adjective here).
I hope to god that when I take it down south again I am done w/the problems. I am really hoping that I should not have bought a Honda 3000. Of course, they both spec out on paper identically and the mechanics I have spoken to state the Yamaha is built better. We

Union thug.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 07:38 PM

should have bought a honda franko but then again i have a long e xtension cord for you.:bounce::coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2005 at 09:15 PM

Good answer Steve!

Did you see the photos of Mike's place in my trip report? It is just a ways past Paulina's... Gecko seemed perfect last Saturday... and when Bedman and Emma said hi to us in El Rosario on Friday, they reported it was a perfect week at Gecko... they hated to leave...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 06:19 AM

yea i saw them, good shots. should be down for the 1000 with a few buddys south of san felipe next month. hopefully the fishing will be good at santa isabela with a few sea bass busting lines.:coolup:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 08:27 AM

4Baja,
Here?s a fun lesson for you to study in the meantime. We?re going to be down around that same area for the race. Maybe we can all ?hook up?. Ja Ja Ja. Fishing reference you know.

The Totoaba has an overall dusky silver appearance, and is characterized by its elongated body, sharp snout with large oblique mouth, and a projecting lower jaw, and especially its slightly convex tail. The Totoaba's gill covers have smooth edges and it has no barbells on its chin. The fins are darker than the body, and its dorsal fin is deeply notched.

The Totoaba might be confused with a series of other croakers, including the White Seabass, (ridge along the length of its belly, slightly concave caudal fin).

The formerly very abundant Totoaba is now a rare, endangered, and protected species that is near extinction due to over fishing. It is usually found only in the northern one-third of the Sea of Cortez.

The White Seabass is characterized by its elongated body, large mouth, and a ridge along the length of its belly. It is metallic blue to copper on its back, with dark specs on its sides, and silver on its belly. The White Seabass has a long dorsal fin base. The caudal fin is slightly concave. It has small rough scales and a black blotch on the inner base of its pectoral fins. The White Seabass might be confused with a series of other Croakers including the Totoaba, (sharp snout, projecting lower jaw, large mouth, pointed caudal fin, silver and dark fins, no ridge under belly).

Saludos!
Paulina y Dern <*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 08:31 AM

Can you tell the difference in the following two photos? It's tricky...

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 08:32 AM

Hint: This one's meat does not taste like lobster...

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 02:38 PM

FrankO,

I'm sorry for jumping off on the off topic stream. I couldn't help but grab the moment..

Back to your generator situation, we have three Honda generators, a 350, 1800, and 4500. No matter how much we abuse them, they keep on running. Couldn't be happier with them.

Hopefully after all you went through you will be satisfied. Good for you for sticking to it. Yamaha is a good brand, maybe you just got a lemon?

P. y D.
<*)))><

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 03:48 PM

Thanks Pompano,
It'll be quite awhile before I consider any generator purchase. I am currently spending ALL of my extra money on, hmmmmmm let's see, building, solar, diapers, beer and another house here in Point Loma. I seriously need to hit the lotto.
I am sure I got the lemon generator...... this seems to happen often to me.

Union thug.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2005 at 06:54 PM

franko lets go fishing!:coolup:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2005 at 06:56 PM

franko.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2005 at 09:30 PM

No problem, brother. Time for us to get the Lizard wet in a few weeks. And I promise I won't hook another iron into the front of your shorts.:O

Union thug.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2005 at 07:22 AM

I thought this thread was about poor service, not little jabs.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2005 at 07:57 AM

soulpatch, consider the source. got your call last night, will call you later.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.