Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going South
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 05:30 PM
Going South

*I posted this same msg. on baja.net...sorry if it's redundant to some of you...

Hi folks...my honey and I are heading down to Todos Santos(via Bahia Concepcion, La Ribera, etc...), for a month begining the first part of Nov. for our belated honeymoon. We did this trip 2 years ago...so are not complete newbies...but if there are things we should be aware of...please let us know.

We have been doing our homework, checking this board and others for the most up to date info. We understand that roads may be messed up, but doable as long as we take it slow. We had wanted to try some off the beaten path trips, but may want to stay on the "main roads" because of Marty damage...any input? We are driving a "new" (to us) 1987 Toyota van 4x4, and will be camping out exclusively.

Also, am a bit concerned about Dengue...we can lather up with repelant, but what about our pooches? I hope this isn't a dumb question, but these things tend to keep me up at night as the trip gets closer.

Will my birth certificate be enough (as it was in 2001) to get me through when I show the tourist card?

Sorry to be such a pest...any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 07:13 PM

eat at Barrajas as much as possible :D
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:11 PM

I bet you have been taking notes... anyway: Welcome to the 'friendly' Baja forums of Baja Nomad!

Sounds like you are doing your homework. A month trip will be perfect!The 4WD Toyota van should get you everywhere, okay.. be sure it is completly checked out, mechanically speaking... belts and hoses all replaced (including timing belt). Have a good spare and a good tire repair plug kit.

Birth Certificate is still fine...

Here's my list of must sees and eats, as you travel south (depending on yourinterests)... Some can be seen on the return trip north:

San Pedro Martir Park (Baja's forested 'sky island') and the Observatory (view point).

Gypsy's Wet Buzzard Bar at Cielito Lindo (breakfast burritos).

Las Pintas Fossil Grotto and Petroglyph site.

El Marmol & El Volcan Onyx mine and springs.

Catavina boulder fields & pictographs.

Rancho Santa Ynez (Ines) for lunch.

Bahia de los Angeles (many reasons) and Camp Gecko for camping. Las Hamacas for dinner.

Mision San Borja, 20 miles south of the L.A. Bay highway. The 20 mile dirt road back to Highway 1 at Rosarito, is great for a short cut south.

Carmelita's Tamales at the Villa Jesus Maria Pemex.

Malarrimo Restaurant at Guerrero Negro.

San Ignacio (for many reasons), Ricardo's Int'l. Rice and Beans for food, mango margaritas, and rooms. Or, the Ignacio Springs Bed and Breakfast...

Mulege (Baja's Hawaii) and Bahia Concepcion (El Requeson for camping).

Bahia Agua Verde... a magic place and the San Cosme hot springs along the way.

Punta Conejo beach.

Others can give you to dos around La Paz to Cabo... I wanna go!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 10:45 PM
Going south

Depending on how far you want to get off the beaten path, there are places that are extremely hard to get to and some that you just can't get to. . The road to Agua Verde/ San Cosme is really rough and takes a lot longer than usual. Having actually just been down there, I would recommend not planning on Agua Verde or Comundu or any of the other than main dirt roads. Unless you are ready for a lot of rattling and jarring which is definately going to happen at this time and probably for quite a while.
The pooches are not susceptible to Dengue but it should be cleared up by Nov. if it doesn't rain much.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 01:18 PM

Hola! Thanks for your replies. Dave, we have been working on getting the van in tip top shape and plan on bringing extra belts et..., and enough tools to do our own repairs on the road...but if we needed parts that we didn't bring...what are the chances that we could get parts for our '87 Toy van??

We have been to a couple of the places you mentioned...Cielito Lindo for the MMMMargaritas! But we didn't get the burritos at the Buzzard Bar. Catavina was spectacular, we would love to spend more time there. BOLA was beautiful, we even stayed at Geko! The wind was up, so we didn't stay as long as we would have liked...and did not go in the water. Is the snorkling/diving good there? We don't have a boat, so everthing will be from the shore unless we charter.
Bahia Concepcion was our favorite for camping. We had been looking at Bahia Agua Verde, but after reading the post from Baja Again, I'm beginning to re-think that one. As far as La Paz & Cabo...those aren't really our style...though some of the places I've been reading about near La Paz sound interesting. We did stop in Cabo long enough to grab a Margarita at Sammy's place, and then got the heck out of town.

I will do more research on the other places mentioned. Thanks so much for your kind replies!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 09:54 PM

Please go to my web site and click on my (several) Baja trip photo pages, to have a look at some sites. It sounds like you have the same tastes, as I... My travel companion and I spent less than an hour in Cabo and we were outta there! See http://davidksbaja.com/baja15

The day's highlight was when we spent the afternoon and dinner with Jimmy Smith! The next day he took us to the oldest mine in Baja then up to the Sierra Laguna to see giant guerivo trees.

[Edited on 10-23-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-22-2003 at 03:01 PM

David K: Exactly how do you get to Las Pintas Fossil Grotto and Petroglyph site? (Please don't use a GPS coordinate.)
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-22-2003 at 06:33 PM

OK.. no GPS waypoints:
Hwy.1 south from El Rosario to (just past) the Km. 80 post (14 miles away).

Take graded road to right... a second branch is ahead at the curve, if you miss the first. Go 18 miles on graded road (continues to Punta San Carlos) and turn left on unimproved dirt road... If you miss it, you will come to ranch and the Arroyo San Fernando crossing (turn around).

Set odometer to 0...

Pass a couple ranchos ('Malvar' in Almanac) with lots of junk cars, then at mile 3.0, 'S' down into Arroyo San Fernando, continue east... through closed gate (Mi. 3.5)...

At 5.3 mi. from the San Carlos graded road, turn left into side arroyo. At 6.5 mi., turn right up and out of little arroyo. At mile 7.3 come to the bottom of Las Pintas and have fun! A trail to the top is on the right.. tunnels and crawlways are ahead.

See photos at http://davidksbaja.com/davidlorenzo and also after the BBBB pictures at http://davidksbaja.com/van1 Maybe the waterfall will be flowing if it rained... As seen on page 132 of The Baja Adventure Book, 3rd edition.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 08:48 AM

Thanks so much - I look forward to the adventure!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.