BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using VHF Radio in Baja.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:14 PM
More San Felipe area freqs

Police CH9
South Campos/Puertocitos CH21
Taxi CH6
2 meter ham sets are common for race channels and since no lisence is required to buy one lots of them are used for inter Campo comms, surest way to get into trouble with the Mexican goverment is to use a Mexican repeater without the required 2 meter ham lisence.
I have the Ham lisences and the highest Marine lisence but would not admit it in Mexico if it came up.
The Mexican hams will report you fast although I have never heard of the sniffer wagon like they have in the states.
I have a older friend who spent 2 years in a US prison for CB radio abuse,sounds silly now with the unlimited use they now have.
I also carry the GRMS portables when in the back country but lots of them are not approved for Mexico and the checkpoints sure get uptbight when they find them.

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
..., surest way to get into trouble with the Mexican goverment is to use a Mexican repeater without the required 2 meter ham lisence.

Sorry to go off topic a litte, is there a list of these repeaters anywhere? I've looked in the past but never found much.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 02:27 AM

"San Carlos on the mainland uses 72."

Uses it for what?

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by JZ]
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 08:06 AM

Loreto/Puerto Escondido does have an everyday at 8 a.m. net. They are reminded on 16 to switch to 22. Lasts mostly for maybe ten minutes, though have listened up to 30 minutes. It covers leaving & entering boats. Weather. Tides. Trips to town. Local information. Swap & trades. Mostly for the benefit of the boaters. I've not seen any abuse in over l4 years that I've been going down. I have a hand held that I use when necessary. And a base unit, at home needing installed.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 04:13 PM

Hey Phil

Thought you be on your way by now. What's the hold-up??:O:O:o:o
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 05:01 PM

For the list of repeaters I think you have to join the Mexican club that sponsors them to get the list but you can try at the SCGT office in Mexicalli, that is who you have to go to to get a Mexican Ham endorsement on your US lisence, much time consuming paper work and expensive and only for one year. During the SCORE races they seem to ignore ham radios but I was caught at El Alamo last year during a helicopter search for I assume drug runners in an airplane. Who but I come driving by at 5AM gabbing away on my prominently cab mounted 2 meter rig with a big high mounted ant! The officer in charge took all my info, truck lisence,ham lisence,serial #s, drivers lisence etc. He made it quite clear that I should unplug everything and depart the area which I did at high speed meeting a road block at the Hiway and road to El Alamo who also gave me the third degree so I removed it from the truck and don't bring it to Mexico anymore. I thought I would hear something from the FCC in the states but nothing!
I didn't even know the MexIcan army had helicopters!!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 05:17 PM

Actually, I was just asking you to be more specific of what use you were talking about. 72 is used in San Carlos much like it is in the US. 68 and 72 are common channels for local discussion.

I've seen it reported that in San Carlos there is a recap of the ham weather on 72 at around 8:45AM, and it is announced first on VHF ch 16. I haven't listened for it yet.

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by JZ]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 05:35 PM

JZ
Where is the trip report????:P:P

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.