Author: Subject: Hang like a celebrity in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:43 PM
Hang like a celebrity in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0545,tk,69737,24.html

by Grace Bastidas
November 7th, 2005

What do Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow, and John Wayne have in common? (John Wayne never dated Brad Pitt, so that's not it.) Answer: They've all vacationed in Cabo San Lucas?located on the southernmost tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, where the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cort?s meet. Though the Duke found it an ideal fishing spot during the 1940s, celebrities nowadays escape to the dessert oasis in search of a little rest and relaxation in the form of pristine beaches, delectable Mexican cuisine, and pampering at one of the area's many resorts.

Fashioning ourselves celebrities of sorts?at least in our minds?and further compelled by the chilly weather, a few girlfriends and I recently indulged in a long weekend at Marquis Los Cabos, a resort that promises to "rejuvenate your body, sooth your mind, and feed your soul," according to their website. At $440 a night, we certainly hoped they keep up their end of the bargain?we weren't disappointed.

Although we loved eating octopus ceviche while lounging by one of the many pools and getting deep-tissue massages at the full-service spa, it was the little things that won us over. Rooms have ocean views, hydromassage tubs, and Bulgari toiletries (a good sign since you can tell a hotel's attention to detail and service by their bath products). Plus, each morning we awakened to a complimentary breakfast and a New York Times synopses placed in a little cubby-hole?you can't go wrong with fresh coffee, warm rolls, and a gentler version of the news. Also, turndown service is accompanied by strawberry cake or some other delicious treat.

Of course, you can't go to Cabo and not leave your hotel, especially if you want to party like a rock star. So we headed to the most obvious of places: Sammy Hager's cantina, Cabo Wabo. The multi-level bar is decked out in momentos from Hager's Van Halen days, panties dangling from the ceiling, and Mexican kitsch. From the looks of it, this is where Midwestern parents (sporting t-shirts that read "Yes, I do want a beer and that's my final answer.") go on spring break like sojourns. They especially went wild when former Guns & Roses drummer Matt Sorum, now with Velvet Revolver, hit the skins with the house band for a rendition of AC/DC's "You shook me all night long."

After watching moms dirty-dancing while downing coronas, we scurried back to the safety of Marquis Los Cabos, where we could pretend to hide from the paparazzi?and Cabo Wabo. Whew!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:26 PM

Thank Goodness for Cabo...a zoo to house the insecure and ineffectual.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:30 PM

Please call it Cabo San Lucas
I dont like being lumped in with the insecure and ineffectual:mad:

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:46 PM

exc?seme por favor, senorita...Cabo San Lucas.;D
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:10 PM
I don't think the girls get out often...

Does anyone on this board ever go to Cabo anymore for a getaway or vacation? This hotel has a funny entrance...
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:14 PM
One more thing...

When I was at this resort, the thing that struck me as kinda strange at the main pool, was that all lounge chairs faced the big building instead of the ocean.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:30 PM

There are many different places in Cabo. Mija lives there, among the locals and I found that there are many positives to l iving in an area, raising a new family,such as Cabo, as opposed to ,say,Loreto,where the population of Americans is pretty much in the retirement stage,and not neccesarily permanent residents. I know how you ( many of Nomads) poo-poo Cabo, but there really are some great people, good shopping(food and neccesities) and gorgeous,white beaches, good weather,and clean, warm water.Stay out of the tourist area if you don't like it, there is a heck of a lot more than "there"!! Just my 2 cents...Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:38 PM

Ok Juan
Fess up...what were you doing at the Marquis hotel?

Last year they had a special package deal.....One day of golf with Jack Nicklaus, a private concert with Santana, a whale watching trip in a lear jet(dont ask me how that was supposed to work) and of course their most expensive suite(which all have private pools) and the asking price was a mere $3,200,000

Sally, I too have changed my mind about San Lucas because we are there so much now to check on accounts. Still hate the downtown tourist area though. Last Thursday there were 3 cruise ships anchored up....town looked like someone had let down the floodgates at the ugly american dam.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:57 PM

What? Only ugly Americans? No ugly Europeans?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.