Author: Subject: XM or Sirious radio
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-17-2005 at 10:34 PM

Hook,
so what is your sport???
MLB???
Now that is cram packed with excitement.....NOT!!!
(and I am a baseball fan)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2005 at 11:04 PM
Still waiting for an answer!!

Howcome.....
that everyone who puts the knock on NASCAR is then unwilling to admit to their own favorite sport?
Inevitable as grass growing on the lawn,
someone puts the rap on NASCAR....
"so what is your favorite sport" we ask,
and silence reigns.
Hmmmmmmm
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 09:21 AM

Well, since you only asked Hook, it would be impolite to butt in, and no-one on this forum would do that :lol:

If it was intended to be an open question, then I'll respond. I don't really care for NASCAR on the radio, I prefer TV for races and golf. For radio I like football and baseball.

Basketball and Hockey in any form is a total waste of time. In one everyone scores all the time and the last one to score wins, in the other no-one ever scores and the whole thing is settled at the end by a one-on-one shootout. (that ought to generate some traffic) :o

However, my reason for getting Sirius is music and news while fishing and traveling.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 10:48 AM
Radio Sports

When I was young and a rabid Baseball fan, I would listen to the Dodgers every chance I got. Now I can't think of Anything more boring than listening to ANY sport on radio. Although I watch some sport other than MLB on TV once in awhile, I can take it or leave it. I don't understand the enthusiasm.

I enjoyed NASCAR racing years back when I could catch The Winston Cup at Riverside Raceway. It's interesting on a road course, although I found myself infuriated to watch a race that finished on a Yellow Flag. Oval track Stock Car racing never interested me.

As I said once before, 85 % of the time I have XM on, its' tuned to the Big Band (30s-40s) music, 10 % on a Classical station and 5 % on Fox News. When I'm out of earshot, my wife tunes to the Country channels.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 11:48 AM

No sports or news - music--

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 01:17 PM

Yo tampoco, Lou
Musica
Musica
Musica

Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-19-2005 at 11:03 PM
You CAN be a kid again

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Now I can't think of Anything more boring than listening to ANY sport on radio.

If you could get past listening part then you could hear. ;D

To me, nothing beats baseball on radio. It's the perfect time machine. And it's not the commentators voice, it's the silence in between.

(Hint: The older the radio the better.)

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2005 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
(Hint: The older the radio the better.)

How old does it have to be?

Only The Shadow Knows.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 11:30 AM
Being a Kid Again

I think a lot of the difference is how one looks at the players, then and now. When I was younger, I looked up with great admiration and enthusiasm towards the players. I cared how well the Dodgers did. Today, there is little to admire in most of the current crop of spoiled, multimillionaire brats in MLB.

The most enjoyable Baseball games I've gone to in recent years have been Class A Minor league games where most of the time there isn't a single player I'm familiar with. It's a lot of fun to simply enjoy the game of Baseball without caring who comes out on top. Two years ago, I was at a High Desert Mavericks game and, after cheering on various plays, the guy behind me asked "Just who are you rooting for, anyway". My reply was "neither, I'm just enjoying good Baseball". That said, you should probably remain true to the song and root, root, root for the Hometeam, even if it means switching back and forth weekly or daily.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2005 at 10:34 PM
Hemingway once said....

"There are only three sports: Mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing. All the rest are just games."
Well, I have participated fully in two, and enjoyed watching the other.
Guess by his definition there is only one sport suitable for radio broadcast...
I rest my case.
(It will be great to spend 10 days at San Ignacio and Catavina in March and not wonder who is leading the Cup race, though)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 10:37 AM
The attraction of baseball on radio.......

...indeed, most any sport (even NASCAR if that's your thing), is that it makes great background to your other activities. I am not sitting around in my living room, listening raptly to every pitch. I am usually puttering around on this or that domestically instigated project. Baseball's gradually building structure (pitch by pitch, batter by batter, inning by inning) just really appeals to me for this type of background. It's fairly easy to step away for an inning or two and be right back in it.

I especially love all the strategic details of baseball and the interval between pitches that allows you to strategize along with the managers. Lefty vs. righty, hit-and-run, squeeze play, steal, bunting the runner along, etc. Most other sports are too fast paced to allow the listener to be "managing" right along with the field managers. I love all the statistical minutia of baseball.

I also love the length of the season that just keeps entertaining you week after week, night after night.

Well, there's my defense of baseball on the radio, Bajarunner. Let's hear what appeals to you about NASCAR. Maybe I will become a convert. It's not like I don't have an appreciation of motorsports racing; my first real jobs were at the old Orange County International Raceway on the track maintenance crew and in the concession stands. Saw plenty of drag racing as well as grand prix motorcyle racing and some MX stuff, too.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.