Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bird watching Baja style
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 05:46 PM
Bird watching Baja style

It'll soon be bird watching season in Baja! Baja & Gulf of California birding has a few new forums for those birders out there:

http://www.bajabirding.org/phpbb/index.php

Also,

What is your favorite Baja bird:

http://www.bajabirding.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=190

gringorio
www.BajaBirding.org
:bounce:

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 06:01 PM

Our favorite is the Cactus Wren, They come into our house like they own it, they clean up the crumbs on the floor or wherever they can find them. They eat our dogs food, drink her water, she chases them out they come right back in. watching them for us is fun.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 07:53 PM

The other morning I was on my walk, and heard a sound like chimes close by. Rounding the corner I saw a large Raven with the bottom half of a broken beer bottle in its mouth, tapping it on the sidewalk to make his music!It was actually quite lovely!I was bummed when he saw me and took flight, but then I had a chance to find out how he was making that music!Very intelligent bird, if you ask me!!!I have to say that the figate might be my favorite Baja Bird tho, for many reasons.Love watching them soaring over the SOC at extreme heights, and seeming to never come down to Earth! And such stong , secure nests they build for their younguns!!Yep, they are my favorites.:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2005 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio
It'll soon be bird watching season in Baja! Baja & Gulf of California birding has a few new forums for those birders out there:

http://www.bajabirding.org/phpbb/index.php

Also,

What is your favorite Baja bird:

http://www.bajabirding.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=190

gringorio
www.BajaBirding.org
:bounce:

That's a cool site, we need to get more folks posting there. :cool:
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 07:16 PM

For those of the lucky ones down in Baja for the winter, how's the birding been? Any interesting winter residents hanging out?

Right now Colorado is offering up the usual number of raptors hanging around the ag fields, but there seems to be more bald eagles than usual. That's pretty cool...

gringorio :bounce:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 08:15 PM

We are seeing an awful lot of cara caras. I doubt if the season has anything to do with it. Most probably, loss of habitat. One morning we saw 16 sitting on the dunes facing west. I was afraid to check the other side to see what had their attention
Many cardinals in my yard. One pair particularly likes my mesquite tree for aftenoon delight.

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:25 PM

hi Baja Judy

thanks for the report... sounds interesting. where are you in Baja? what kind of habitat loss? i'll have to educate myself and look up cara cara life history traits since i know nothing about them.

the birding here has been pretty dismal since the winds have been blowing so hard everyday. last week we had gusts approaching 70mph and since then gusts approaching 30 or more mph. the birds tend to lay low in those conditions. :(

gringorio

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:14 PM
Black Throated Magpie Jays

There are four of these birds that live at Campo La Jolla. They are beautiful birds that resemble Blue Jays, but with very long blue tails.
They would wake us up in the mornings squawking over the dog food left out on the patio. We thought that bringing the dog's bowls in at night would solve that problem, but it only made it worse. They seemed to be loudly scolding us the next morning instead.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:44 PM
photo?

hi Paulina,

This is a bit late, but do you have any photos of these birds? We have magpie's here in Colorado, I wonder if they are the same birds. With spring coming the avian life must be getting restless down there...

gringorio :bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
There are four of these birds that live at Campo La Jolla. They are beautiful birds that resemble Blue Jays, but with very long blue tails.
They would wake us up in the mornings squawking over the dog food left out on the patio. We thought that bringing the dog's bowls in at night would solve that problem, but it only made it worse. They seemed to be loudly scolding us the next morning instead.

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 09:05 PM
Magpie Jay

Listed in my Central American bird book but not in my North American.

A photo would be nice to see, can you post one for us?

I found this on the web. Is it your bird?

http://www.hilonesome.com/mexico%20Gallery%20Magpie.html
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 11:39 PM
I thought it might be a Grackel. They can be really noisy.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.