Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good tent camping in San Luis Gonzaga
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:10 AM
Good tent camping in San Luis Gonzaga

Whats a camping location near (or on) the beach at the Gonzaga Bay to camp with shower facilities and a decent restaurant? Our friends are sleeping on the ground out in the open, my wife and I in our tent, and my friend Chris in the back of his Ford Explorer on a special mat. Thanks for the info!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:14 AM

Campo Beluga is the campground, just south of Rancho Grande (also has palapas for camping), which is just south of Alfonsina's... which has the restaurant. Beluga might have food now... It was in the plans.

Papa Fernandez' has the restaurant with the John Wayne photo... camping is over the hill from Papa's (ask for the chain to be dropped so you can see the beach) on a nice spot (Punta Willard).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:31 AM

Hey Ken, when you pass through El Rosario, check and see if we are there (Baja Cactus Motel, silver Tacoma) when you do. I want to hear how you enjoyed Santa Maria. We will be there Friday and Saturday nights... possibly do a 4WD trip on Saturday.

Do try to spend some time at Santa Maria, and not just rush in and out. Take the road past the mission and hike up the bulldozed roadbed to see the petroglyphs and canyon view...

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:34 AM

David K,

We'll be sure to stop on by and give you a holler. We'll let you know how many BFG & XTerrain tires got blown out along the way. :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 08:38 AM

OK!!!
Enjoy the Widowmaker!

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 09:44 AM

David is right, Beluga is the place, a little more private, not sure if they have the food all the time but its not far to the resturant.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 10:05 AM

At the canyon rim where the petroglyphs are, begins a trail that is nicely marked with ducks (I added twice as many) which leads to the river and pools below.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 10:12 AM
here is a picture of the mini market...

they were putting in at Beluga when we there last spring,not sure about a restaraunt but the little store did have some good items and local fishermen would come in on their pangas occasionally to get things at the little store

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 02:18 PM
Beluga...

To get to Beluga, continue on the main road past the Rancho Grande store for another mile or so - there are (were this past May at least) signs pointing the way.

Ken, from Coco's Corner are you taking the more direct route to highway 1 or detouring south and taking the Calamajue Wash route? I guess time would be your enemy with the Calamajue road, though it is pretty scenic.

John M.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John MKen, from Coco's Corner are you taking the more direct route to highway 1 or detouring south and taking the Calamajue Wash route? I guess time would be your enemy with the Calamajue road, though it is pretty scenic.

John M.

John,

Time is short, so we will take the more direct route that will take us to Mision Santa Maria. We plan to travel early in the A.M. from Gonzaga Bay and hope to do plenty of 'wheeling and sightseeing while we are out there. I just bought some shackles and a snatch block in case I need them. The new winch, BFG tires, and lights are a rarin' to go! I'll have two Chihuahuas and the wife on board, and we're pretty excited. We'll take plenty of pictures. :bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 07:44 PM

Does this help?

Beluga is reached by traveling just south of Rancho Grande, 1.2 miles... or use the short cut 4/10 mi. from Rancho Grande store...

Ken, when the Pemex is closed, go to Rancho Grande store and ask for gasolina. Also, Alfonso sells gasoline across from the Catavina La Pinta Hotel (he buys from Baja Cactus). So, check that out before turning in to Santa Ynez for the Santa Maria run.

See you in El Rosario, Saturday PM!

[Edited on 11-22-2005 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

See you in El Rosario, Saturday PM!

David,

We're leaving out of the Catavina area at around 12 noon to get some lunch in El Rosario and gasoline there too. We're heading north to Ensenada before it gets too late there, and will not be in El Rosario Saturday night unless one of the vehicles is damaged. So, unless a worst-case scenario hits us, we won't be around Saturday evening. I'll post my impressons of the trip and let you know how it all went. Maybe you can join us on the Pole Line Run in December. There will be lots of great people with nice vehicles going. We're all friendly and you're welcome to join us.

-Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 11:16 PM

I said PM... Noon Saturday is 12 pm amigo!

I said the place (being so hard to get to), should be enjoyed for more than a quick overnighter... Slow down and enjoy Baja!

Anyway... You should be through El Rosario between noon and 11:59 PM on Saturday, and that is what I meant by PM... My bet is 2 PM and that is if you don't go to see the petroglyphs, palm oasis, or stop at the dozen plus great photo opp places along that road!

Hope you at least see if we are in town (Baja Cactus or in front of one of the other restaurants besides Espinoza's)... and maybe we can join you for a beer or meal.

[Edited on 11-22-2005 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2005 at 08:15 AM

David,

With Suzanne having Lupus now, being out in the desert for 5+ days is unfortunately out of the question. If we keep the trips short, she is usually able to recover quickly and can return to work without any joint pain or flu-like symptoms. I hope to buy us a tent trailer and get it outfitted for Baja in the next year or two. Then, winter trips will be much easier on her health. :yes: I can't make any promises that we will be able to stop for long, but if we see your truck, we'll give you a quick shout.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.