Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Ventana del Mar/ El Dorado Ranch
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-22-2003 at 05:39 PM
La Ventana del Mar/ El Dorado Ranch

O.K. folks, this ain't my first county fair.
I have been a real estate developer for 28 years and a Baja traveler off and on for over 30 years.
But, I have not been to San Felipe in a very long time.
One of my highly respected home builder associates wants me to go with him to see this fabulous new development just out of San Felipe.
I went to the web-site and I see a "resale" lot offered at $185,000.
Is this for real??? (Did I miss a decimal pt.?)
Harvesting sod for the 'award winning golf course?'
So where does the water come from? Maybe pipe down the extra runoff from Seattle???
Come on 'amigos' give me the straight answer, not the sales office brochure.

Baja Vida!!

(by the way, the website pictures look a lot like sandy washes and ethereal generic sunsets...)
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 09:15 AM
Eldorado Golf Course

Ya! Come see it!! Lol Lol!! The resale lot likly has a home already on it maybe? I have not seen any lots yet listed for more than $90,000? But guess anything could be?? Lots of development going on here! Yup growin thier own grass! Thery say it's about ready as soon as the ground is ready? They are piping in water from the wells north of town. Layin thier own pipeline they tell us!
Big Project but it's Happening Now! Guess we'll see how well it works? They are planning to play golf by Feb. 2004 so they say now!!!
Probably only the ones that live over there will be able to afford to play on it
tho?? Someone's gotta pay for this ya know??
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2003 at 02:37 PM
San Felipe resorts

Meme, thanks for your report.
I am the eternal skeptic on some issues, land development in Baja being very high on the list. Since 1971 I have been driving down the 'cuota' from TJ, looking at the lost dreams and lost fortunes that have been expended there. Maybe one or two jewels, all the rest is trash. And that is along the cool coast.
San Felipe is great in the Winter, but how about a Summer in the sand, sans agua.
I must be missing something, but SF never looked to me like the next Palm Springs.... Oh well, what do I know, its only money, honey.

Baja Vida!!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 10:45 AM

From San Juanico south, nearly every time we pull over along either coast to enjoy the view for more than five minutes, a real-estate salesman--most often a guy in a rancher's hat driving a pickup--pulls up and offers a good deal on a view lot.

The whole friggin' south seems to be up for grabs! (Well, maybe not Guerrero Negro.)

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 07:14 AM
Bajarunner, check out this one. I'd like

your opinion as someone with real estate experience, also my bag.

www.puntasuenos.com

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 09:47 AM

A couple of years ago I went to a seminar about El Dorado Ranch. In the developed areas they wanted $25,000 for the lot and you had to build your house to meet their specs which at the time cost a minimum of $75,000 and up. I think a better deal can be had at one of the many
campgrounds like Petes Camp. A strong word of advice on Mexican investments. Never invest more than your willing to loose and walk away from.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 07:06 PM
Punta Suenos

Capt. Mike. I went to the website, they surely have a wonderful piece of property, the only question in my mind is how many folks can afford those prices, at that remote location, and where does the water come from.
The website is not very professional, lots of misspelled words (try 'extrodinary' in the heading) and the usual "generic" Baja fotos of sunsets, cactus, beaches,etc.
Since my first drive down the Tijuana cuota in 1971 I have marvelled at the number of "start and stop" projects. There are so few that seem to make it on the first, the second or even the third try.
But, if you read today's NYTimes article, which was picked up by our local Modesto Bee, the rush is on.
My prediction is that five years from now this will have a couple nice homes, several typical Baja shells and a general state of despair. Hope not, but that is surely the trend.
One good tipoff on this whole thing.... no major national US builders are rushing to take advantage of these situations.
When you see K & B, Pulte, Lennar, Lyon, etc. moving in with major projects then you know that this is for real. And they will not have the backing of their money people, nor their own feasibility people, if the water and the other issues are not resolved.
Final note, the government is being real helpful at the moment, but once upon a time I had a "dollar account" at Banamex because we were assured that this would forever be respected and never subject to peso devaluation.
Guess what??? Ever see $5000 go to $50 in a moment and later to $5??? It is truly an awesome (and heartbreaking) sight to see.
Like I have always said in the development business..... "Want to make a small fortune in this area??? Start with a large fortune!"

Baja Vida!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 08:56 PM
Punta Suenos, another thought

I just took another look at the website.
The documentation refers to this as "ejido land"
That would make me doubly cautious.
I have had just enough experience with the ejido situation to know that it is:
1. In a constant state of change.
2. Subject to the whims of the local leadership.
As if the other factors were not of great concern this just tosses gas on the campfire.

Baja Vida!!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 02:50 PM
thx! bajarunner, i value your insight

i know the owner and developer as he's lived part time/season in mulege for 10 years, a retired grading and underground contractor from norcal, around santa rosa i think, he's young though so did some good biz moves i guess. I like a lot of what he has, have driven and walked most of the site. But you are soooo right, be patient and watch it slowly happen before plunking down the cash! Renting a space at Serenidad sure has a calming effect!
hope you will stop by for a drink sometime, let me know when your travels take you through.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 05:55 PM
visit with Mike

Likewise, next time you are in Norcal (Oakdale) give a shout. Zap me on U2U and I will give you info, we live just 2 miles from the Oakdale Airport.
My daughter is a pilot for Skywest (United Express) and she flew Lear 35B's out of here for a year.
We do a lot of single family lot subdivisions and that is just enough excitement for me these days.
Where are you located most of the time?
Loreto area?? Some of our Baja Boys were there just last week for a few days and had a great time.
My flying days ended about 15 years ago, got my IFR and quit- who knows why. Maybe I got to know too much.

Baja Vida!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.