Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flacos' First Flight
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 06:02 PM
Flacos' First Flight

Because of filming a wedding in the hills, Flaco and I didn't have time to make our usual drive down so we flew AeroCalifornia from Tijuana to La Paz this time.

Flaco had not flown before so after seeing the recent issues concerning landing wheels sticking, etc., I didn't see Glorias (his wife) concerns about taking some "Pampers" along as a safety precaution as being too far out of line.

Flaco was aware of our means of transportation well in advance of our departure date and was really excited about his first trip in a jet despite the natural apprehension after watching all the news.

So, the big day comes, we are dropped off at the airport without having enough time for a tequila or calmer downer so to speak, so we check our baggage and board the plane. Easy.

The flight attendant was a little out of line (I thought) when she was apologizing for the age and condition of the plane considering there were more than 120 people aboard but this being Mexico, they tell it like it is.

But she says, "despite the used appearance of the plane, the Captain has a lot of experience so we are in good hands". By now, I am laughing out loud! And poor Flaco is questioning my ability to pick departure dates and whether this is AeroCals only plane.

I am in hysterics much to Flacos dismay and apparently the only one to find humor in this situation. That's just me and don't worry Flaco, we will be OK. Here, try and take some pictures.

We are now picking up speed for the take-off and truthfully I expected the plane to rattle apart prior to lift off. I have never experienced anything like it and in fact, I was sitting right behind the emergency door over the wing and the end of the metal trim below the overhead storage compartments popped loose sending the screw flying across the aisle. The trim piece then began to peel itself off the wall, screw by screw.

By the time it reached the 4th screw, we were airborne and flying smoothly although I had to put one of the screws back in the end of the trim so it wouldn't poke someones eye out.

If anyone flies Aero CAl, I recommend carrying a small screw gun for in flight repairs.

We are now flying smoothly and our sodas and cookie have been delivered. Everyones prayers have been answered so I decide to take some pics. and teach Flaco about using the camera.

After looking out the window at the wing, I am laughing so hard I find that the "Pampers" will always be a part of my onboard luggage in the future. Too friggen funny!

[Edited on 11/24/2005 by jrbaja]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 06:06 PM

What is that JR? Glue holding the engine to the wing??:lol::lol::lol:

Great story... post the rest of it soon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 06:06 PM
another view`

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-23-2005 at 06:09 PM
PL 5200

Same stuff we used on the Titanic! I didn't mention that to anyone besides Flaco.:lol:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 07:02 PM

JR...great tale. I always carry the courtesy ounce vodka bottles in my backpack in case of mishaps, near misses or whatever. Hope all is well in Bambooville!

Happy Thanksgiving to all....

[Edited on 11-24-2005 by Cincodemayo]

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 07:07 PM

Quote:

PL 5200

is that the knock off of "liquid nails"?:?:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 07:21 PM
PL 5200

I think was a 3-m product that was known as the strongest adhesive caulking available in 1997 when we were trying to use it to glue down decking on the decks for the movie.
Unfortunately, because of moisture in the air, it didn't work.
Results, We had to deck much of it twice!
JR's Titanic unknown facts and history.:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 07:42 PM
First time jitters!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
The poor bastard:lol: Flaco probably thinks great things about commercial air flight in Mexico. Did you tellem that you were in "one of the beeter ones" tambien?:lol::lol: sorry I missed you this trip... had a bit of a conundrum in Mulege which changed my overall plans. A story in the works. Happy Turkey Day!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 10:45 PM

Good story, JR. I would write more but my Pamper is wet.:lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-23-2005 at 11:40 PM
JR---what a great story, and well told-------

I am still laughing-------------at the story, and at Neal's remarks. Lol :lol::lol::lol:
bajadave1
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 06:04 AM
RTV

I would bet on RTV. A silicon sealant used in aviation, but normally for a higher temp function ( internal ), than on a flight control or panel. Could be the only sealant they had available. :lol::lol::lol:
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 06:05 AM

3 M makes 5200 adhesive caulking in normal cure and in fast cure.
Marine and boating applications, but also found in the construction industry.
Rated for wet applications like thru-hull fittings.
Not cheap, but worth the cost.
Last time I flew on Aero California, the flight was delayed because of a flat tire on the left side. I could see it all from my window seat, peering down.
The Captain was there on the tarmac, jacking the wheel up, and then he actually used the wrench and took off the lug bolts and he and one of the man stewards actually changed this tire!!!!
A 30 minute delay. The Captain then entered the c-ckpit, cleaned his hands, fired up the engines, and we took off.

I was impressed, but somewhat disturbed, because I had always thought that airline Pilots and especially the Captain were all "above" that level of work,,,. Saludos,,,,mc
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 07:07 AM

Terrific story
How have you been?

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchuck
The Captain was there on the tarmac, jacking the wheel up, and then he actually used the wrench and took off the lug bolts and he and one of the man stewards actually changed this tire!!!!

where do they keep the spare on those things?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2005 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchuck
I was impressed, but somewhat disturbed

That says it all. Great story JR. Good to see you back.
Bob H:yes:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.