Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Huge seas in the SOC!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-28-2005 at 05:14 PM
Huge seas in the SOC!

Three female kayakers were reported missing yesterday somewhere around Isla Colorado, off Loreto. My son-in -law was aboard a 65 ft.boat and in the area when the news came over the radio.Apparently,the three women were attemting to paddle from Coronado to Carmen when the SOC decided to become very angry, a mean Northerly blowing.The women had a radio(or more than one) and the signal was received by the port authorities and all else.This is just a report from second hand, via a phone call today by my son-in -law.They (Ty and his partner) rescued two of the women and transfered them to another 100ft. vessle that happened to be in the area and were helping to find the women.The third woman was in contact via radio with them for awhile, then they lost contact, searching all night for her.Apparently, she was in the water for at least 12 hours and had hypothermia and wouldn't come out from under her overturned kayak to wave or yell so they could find her!! Sadly, they recovered her body this morning in between the two islands and transfered her to the other boat with the other two kayakers on board. Tragic to say the least and a serious wake up call to the mighty forces that appear, suddenly, in the SOC. I'm sure there will be official news of this soon. They reported their 65ft. boat being tossed around in the very rough seas and nearly overturned a few times. Prayers for the family of the drowned woman .....

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 11:05 AM
Very sad, indeed,

and good thoughts to Ty and Co. for assisting in the rescue, Sally.

I have to believe the women needed to do a better job of checking weather forcasts before they attempted this. This blow was not unexpected.

Still, very sad......
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 11:46 AM

What a wake up call! Sometimes we think as long as we have life jackets on were safe.:no:

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2005 at 02:56 PM

I was in Gonzaga Bay last week and a group showed up via Puertocitos in a 25 ft whaler on Wednesday scheduled to return on Saturday. They were still there yesterday when I left stranded due to high seas caused by the heavy wind. They had me contact thier families to let them know they were ok. Even the shrimp boats high tailed it for the shelter of the bay when the water got snotty.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 08:33 AM

Hook, I agree with you about the lack of weather research on the womens' part, should have been done.And yes if Ty and Co.weren't out there it is more than possible that all three would have perished.The woman that died apparenty suffocated inside her overturned kayak, so yeah, Bajame, lifejackets will not always save us!!Also one thing to note, not a single vessle from the port authorities or any other came out to help search. Guess they didn't want to chance it?:fire:

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a group that is pushed for time or to make a specific goal in a given amount of time to end up with a disaster on their hands. This is the cause of many accidents because it leads to making bad decisions. Was this the case in this instance? I know people arrive on vacation in Baja with only a week or 5 days, and they have their hearts set on doing a particular activity, only to find that there is a norte, but they push on anyway to avoid disapointment.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 12:03 PM
good lesson to be learned here...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a group that is pushed for time or to make a specific goal in a given amount of time to end up with a disaster on their hands. This is the cause of many accidents because it leads to making bad decisions. Was this the case in this instance? I know people arrive on vacation in Baja with only a week or 5 days, and they have their hearts set on doing a particular activity, only to find that there is a norte, but they push on anyway to avoid disapointment.
take it easy...besides youre in Baja,and the weather changes quick...we never know what tomorrow will bring:smug:

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Hook, I agree with you about the lack of weather research on the womens' part, should have been done.

If you're in the boonies for days at a time away from civilization, is there any way to check the local weather there?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Quote:
Hook, I agree with you about the lack of weather research on the womens' part, should have been done.

If you're in the boonies for days at a time away from civilization, is there any way to check the local weather there?

Sure, there is. In Loreto there are internet cafes. Even if you are already out on the water, there are residents who monitor VHF radios all day and you could ask them to provide you with a weather report, based on their checking the internet. Other boaters, as well.

Or, if you posess SSB radio, you can monitor one of the daily cruiser net broadcasts.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2005 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Hook, I agree with you about the lack of weather research on the womens' part, should have been done.And yes if Ty and Co.weren't out there it is more than possible that all three would have perished.The woman that died apparenty suffocated inside her overturned kayak, so yeah, Bajame, lifejackets will not always save us!!Also one thing to note, not a single vessle from the port authorities or any other came out to help search. Guess they didn't want to chance it?:fire:

I met the two surviving women, and they had great things to say about Ty and company, the rescue and how well they were taken care of. The presence of those boats and their crews was truly extreme good fortune for them. Good job!

There is a rescue/patrol vessel, on a trailer near the darsina, but nothing in the water that would have been appropriate for the conditions. When it gets that rough, there is no rescue capability here.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 08:59 AM

Don Alley, I'll pass on the kind words to Ty and CO.I think you meant "near the marina"?Yeah, if a 65ft. boat is getting tossed around like a toothpick, I guess the authorities wouldn't dare to take an even smaller vessel out in the rough seas. And Hook is correct about plenty of weather and sea condition info in and around Loreto.Many folks never even turn their radios off.I don't have any more info about the incident but just thinking, maybe they were camped on Coronado and tried to beat the rough sea to Carmen?? (not knowing how quickly it can change there"poof!")!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.