Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hola Nomads
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 02:05 PM
Hola Nomads

I may be a newbie to this forum, but my wife and I have been driving to, and camping in Baja since 1992. Our first trip was at Christmas, we drove 3 days from Salt Lake City, stayed at Playa Santaspac for 5 days, and drove 3 days back. Since then we've been going almost every year, exploring backroads, kayaking, mountain biking, and fishing.
When my job was off-shored in 2001, my loving wife allowed me to go to Baja for the winter with some friends who were retired. She flew down in March for her two week spring break from teaching school in Salt Lake. Since then I have aquired a 14-foot aluminum boat and have been driving down every year in mid-January to fish on the East Cape. I move north towards Loreto as it gets too hot, and she flies into Loreto to join me.
This year however, I will stay with her in Salt Lake. We will probably do a resort trip somewhere in Mexico in March, although we both know it is not the same as doing it on your own. Several years ago we went to Puerto Vallarta in January and we still found we needed our Baja fix, so we drove down to Loreto in March.
Meanwhile, my boat is covered with snow in the backyard and the camper is on blocks under the carport. I just dug out my cross-country skis and snowshoes. On good days in the winter, kayaking on the Great Salt Lake can be pretty nice, especially because you have it all to yourself. It's almost impossible to get off by yourself in the mountains here anymore, there are people everwhere.
I think the last year I missed going to Baja was 1997. This year, I will be getting my Baja fix vicariously through this forum.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 03:09 PM

Bajarich-
I wish you had shared your tales with us sooner. I feel awful that your boat is in the snow. Had I read this earlier, I would have offered to take your boat with me on my upcoming trip. I would have promised to take good care of her by catching lots of fish, checking out some islands, and maybe a little diving. Sorry I couldn't help out this time...

Welcome to the Nomads.

Zac

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2005 at 04:23 PM
Bajarich

Welcome aboard. Write us some stories about your experiences in Baja.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.