Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hurricane Trip Day 3 part 2
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 05:18 PM
Hurricane Trip Day 3 part 2

Hurricane Trip Day Three Part 2

Headed into the Mission area and dropped off more supplies. 8 boxes of shoes and clothes, 2 cases of canned foods and a bunch of balls bats and gloves for the future San Luis Gonzaga All Stars. Jose had heard of the Dengue in Ciudad Constitucion and along the coast but because there wasn?t any cases there, he declined the repellants as he felt they would be in more need in other areas. Humans!
I had been trying to decide how and where to distribute these goods and I decided to go by size of population. I wanted to make sure that all the areas I was visiting would benefit so I gave the most of it to the San Luis area where Jose distributed it to everyone. Unfortunately, I gave him both boxes of baseballs by mistake and didn?t realize it until later. I asked him about getting one of the boxes back but it had already been distributed with a couple balls going to each family. Oh well, the next areas will just get bats.
What a difference with the van unloaded. More power and ready for adventure. Already set up for a trip to some fossil beds tomorrow and a freshwater lake on Tuesday. Excellent.
I am enjoying the sunset, listening to the animal sounds when I see a man and a boy on the other side of the pond picking something. ( Yerba del Manso). I ask if it?s for food and he replies ?no, es para medicina?. They come over to my side and he has me smell it. Very mild but pleasant aroma. Andres, (the Man) tells me it is for many things including blood circulation and stomack ailments. He then has his son go get some of the dirt from where it was planted and plants one in a cup for me. He then asks if I have any medicine for fever. Unfortunately, I don?t carry much in the way of medicine ( I even forgot the dogs rattlesnake anti-venom this trip). Andres says he is picking this medicine because he has had fever, hot and cold flashes and aching bones. No Dengue around here ! Ha. I told him he would probably start feeling better in about 3 days as he had already had it for 4 days. And still hiking around picking plants. They are very healthy people in those hills.
I have been wondering why everyone knows everyone despite the remoteness and difficulty of travel in these mountains. Jose knows Gury in Ciudad Constitucion who knows Chayo in Los Reyes. These places are miles of bad roads apart. I think because their relatives were all on the same ships and there weren?t that many families then. And then there?s the Indigenous blood. And those guys really got around. Some people say Pericue and some say Guaycura. For any future travelers to this area I have linked them together to avoid the conflict. I now call them Allasameshoes. You will see why when you visit the different areas.
The dogs are peaceful tonight. They have been swimming in Agua Dulce, their favorite. Way less bugs here despite being camped next to the pond. I am listening to crickets, a duck, the tinkle of hand forged bells around free range goats and Frankenburro. This guys bray is a cross between the scream of Sasquatch and Frankenstein.
I guess because I don?t see a mob of villagers with torches and pitchforks, it is safe to go to bed. Buenos noches
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 05:24 PM
photos

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 05:27 PM
photos

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 05:30 PM
Photos

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.