BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bus from Cabo airport to La Paz?
skiandsea

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 09:14 PM
Bus from Cabo airport to La Paz?

Hi,
Can someone give me information regarding taking the bus from the Cabo airport to La Paz. How often does the bus run? How long is the trip (2 hours?). Where do you catch the bus - is it better to walk out to the highway at the airport and catch it there (does it stop there?) or take the shuttle to Cabo San Jose and catch it from there?
Where does the bus stop in La Paz? is it possible to get dropped off at the Sorianna store in La Paz versus downtown?

Thank you,
Claudia
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 10:22 AM

the only way to get on the cheap buses from the cabo airport is to walk out to the main road. There is a stop a few hundred yards towards san jose as I recall.

Is your spanish ok? you want to tell the driver that you want to go to the autobus terminal and catch an express to la Paz. I forget where the terminal is in San Jose but there is one at the junction of the bypass and Highway 19 to todos santos.

Your best bet is to get to the terminal in San Jose since it is shorter to take the express from there to La Paz via los Barilles than to go via Cabo>Todos Santos>La Paz.

the other thing to do is strike up a conversation with someone waiting to get picked up by a friend and then ask if they would not mind giving you a ride to the bus terminal in San Jose or better yet Los Barrilles if they are headed that way.

On rural roads out side of town you can pretty much flag down any local bus to pick you up if he has a comfortable shoulder to stop.

Hope this helps

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
CurlyGirl

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 12:47 PM

I recently passed what looked to be two bus terminals, side by side, on Doblado in downtown San Jose. They're just off of Highway 1, on the downtown side.

When you return, can you please post your comments on this. I may be taking the bus from the airport to Los Barriles on my next trip and it would help to hear your thoughts.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 01:48 PM

If you do a search, I think that you will find much information on this subject.
It is about a 1/2 mile walk to the highway to catch the bus. I suppose you could catch a bus going to San Jose and then catch another to La Paz. I would walk to the road and get on the first bus to La Paz. It may not be an express but at least you will be going in the right direction. To catch a bus to San Jose, you will want to catch a bus going toward your right walking from the airport after you are on the main road. The opposite for La Paz.
I have actually never done this.
A cab ride to the bus station will be very expensive but a shuttle will only be about $15. I know that only $15 sounds like a lot but the cab would be $35.
Suerte

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 06:36 AM

why not just fly in to la paz??

hey bus, are you around the cape?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:01 AM

I'll be down there for a few weeks over the holidays. driving down from San Diego on the 16th. sup?

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
CurlyGirl

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:37 AM
Correction!

Sorry...the bus terminals I saw were on Gonzalez, not Doblado. Duh.
Gonzalez is the one that is a straight shot, connecting Mijares and the four-lane--it's between town and Fonatur.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 05:39 PM

In gringo terms, it is called the bump street because of all the topes. The terminals are very close to the carretera(4 lane). Start with Aguila(the big blue bird...more girngo terms!) as they have more trips scheduled.
I also am interested in how this plays out so please report back.

skiandsea

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:26 PM

Thank you all for your reply. I did internet searches without much luck so this info is helpful.

My spanish is not good so I think I'll take the shuttle to the bus terminal in Cabo san Jose and then the express bus to La Paz. Wish I knew how often they ran? Every hour?
Seems like a bit of back tracking, but that might get me to La Paz faster than the local buses. Also I can get which ever one runs more often -- ie via Todos Santos or direct to La Paz.

I'll let you know the results,
Claudia
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:43 PM

http://www.toursinmexico.com/loscabos/tour/airporttranfers/a...
bajastaylor

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:01 PM

The direct bus departs San Jose every two hours on the even hours. It is a blue and white bus that is larger than the green or blue and orange local busses. I usually tip the Hertz driver a couple of bucks to get a ride out to the main highway. He will not take you if you have more than a carry-on bag. The Northbound bus stop is near the Hertz office. Be on the watch for the bus which will pass the airport at 15 to 20 minutes past the even hours. You will have to wave him down as he really does not expect to pick up riders there. If he passes you by, cross over the road and take the local bus into San Jose (costs about a buck). This bus will also stop in Miraflores, Santiago, Buena Vista or Los Barriles if you ask the driver.
skiandsea

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:28 PM

Thank you bajastaylor!

Quick question, How long is the direct bus trip to La Paz? If I miss the direct bus, do the other bus lines leave on the odd hours ?

I'll have too much luggage - but the hertz driver is a great tip!
Claudia
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 05:49 AM

hey Bus - we're leaving thurs for a month in baja, mainly hanging around our casa in mulege prepping for const. of the new Mulege int'l control tower, but have side trips planned including a car trip doing the cape loop out of la paz with a rental once we land there.
thought i'd stop in during our loop, i'll look and ask around for you in Elias Calles.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.