Author: Subject: PUERTECITOS vs. PUERTOCITOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

sad.gif posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:09 PM
PUERTECITOS vs. PUERTOCITOS

BAJA SPELL CHECKER, where are you?

(from an earlier post on Nomad)

In his/her absence I offer a list of frequently mis-spelled place names (with a common mis-spelled version). Please add to this list with your discoveries, all in good fun!

TIJUANA (Tiajuana)

LA RUMOROSA (La Rumarosa, Rumerosa)

MEXICALI (Mexacali, Mexicalli)

LOS ALGODONES (Los Agondones, etc.)

ROSARITO (Rosarita)

ENSENADA (Ensinada)

SANTO TOMAS (Santo Thomas)

SAN VICENTE (San Vincente)

COLONET (Colnett, Colonett)

SAN FELIPE (San Felipi, Fellipi, etc.)

SAN QUINTIN (San Quentin)

PUERTECITOS (Puertocitos)

ALFONSINA'S (Alphonsina's)

SANTA ROSALILLITA (Santa Rosaliita, etc.)

SAN FRANCISQUITO (San Franciscito, etc.)

GUERRERO NEGRO (Guerro Negro)

MULEGE (Muleje)

LORETO (Loretto)

LOS BARRILES (Los Barilles)

LA RIBERA (La Rivera)

Add your favorite!:light::rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-9-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcgyver
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:34 PM

David, It is Los Agodones not just Agodones, OSO and I have had this arguement for years! Check out the official big new huge yellow highway markers heading east from Mexicalli and north from San Felipe.
Even the new delgados office at KM 34 misspeled Puertecitos on their new sign, by the time I got there with my camera it was changed.:lol:

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by mcgyver]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:43 PM

it's Border...not boarder

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 07:52 PM

Thats a good one Zac (border)!

Max... send in the photo of that/those signs!!! That would be funny... I saw the sign north of San Felipe and the one I saw was correct.

Look in your Baja Almanac... the town is Algodones (which is cotton or cotton plants/ fields, perhaps)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:06 PM

Teacher: "Johnny, why are you late for school?"
Johnny: "Because I had to fix my own damn breakfast."
Teacher: " I will not tolerate profanity in my classroom, one hour detention."

Later- Teacher: "Johnny, can you tell us where is the Canadian border?

Johnny: " In bed with my mom, that's why I had to fix my own damn breakfast."

I'm sorry Max, but you are SO wrong. There is no such word or name as "Agodones". Algodones means "cotton fields" and that is the name of the town. If there are signs saying "Agodones", they are misspelled.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:20 PM
Bear, the name is Los Algodones

Don't get on Max too much, his spelling is worse than mine !!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 11:49 PM
Kinda 'corny', but...

...I've seen it several times on RV boards, and such:

BAJA (Baha)

I call this the BASIC Baja 'Blunder' !

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 12:16 AM

Yes, Baha for Baja... Some Nomads have it that way even! Perhaps it is they way they hear it!??

Any other place in the English speaking world would say Bah- jaw for Baja!

In Australia, a neighbor taked about a place he had a photo of showing a California waterfall... He called it 'Yose (silent e) Mite (silent e)' and I had to explain it was Yosemite (yo-sem-it-ee)!!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:53 AM

That's the way Ray Cannon spelled it, and before his book all you heard was 'Gulf of California'.

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 10:16 AM

I never claimed I could spell! As I said: " When I got back with my camera it was repainted" You can see it on the San Felipe"Net"webpage.
The Mexican highway deparment has long had the highway signs wiith " Los Algodones" now they are bright yellow, I will try to remember to take a picture but not only I can not spell I can not remember that I can not spell or take a picture, besides that I have dyeilexia (SP). Add that to Heart Failure , Arthritis, COPD, 75% hearing loss, Eyrethedemia (skin cancer), going blind, rum soaked liver and poor judgement , bankrupt and I am doing as well as possible!
And you also have to consider that the sun comes in my window over that big lake that we can not agree on its name every morning so I am " Baja Sun Struck too":biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thats a good one Zac (border)!

Max... send in the photo of that/those signs!!! That would be funny... I saw the sign north of San Felipe and the one I saw was correct.

Look in your Baja Almanac... the town is Algodones (which is cotton or cotton plants/ fields, perhaps)

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:01 PM

Google.com.mx has many references to Mar de Cortez and Mar de Cort?s. Most of the former are related to hotels and English boards and most of the latter are geographical sites.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
In Australia, a neighbor taked about a place he had a photo of showing a California waterfall... He called it 'Yose (silent e) Mite (silent e)' and I had to explain it was Yosemite (yo-sem-it-ee)!!

In the little "downtown" area of Yosemite, there is a historical building that was one of the first mercantile stores in the region. I forget the founder's name but he was obviously Jewish.

He named the store "Yo Semite".

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 03:37 PM

La Ribera (La Rivera)
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 04:09 PM
all in all...

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
besides that I have dyeilexia (SP). Add that to Heart Failure , Arthritis, COPD, 75% hearing loss, Eyrethedemia (skin cancer), going blind, rum soaked liver and poor judgement , bankrupt and I am doing as well as possible!
And you also have to consider that the sun comes in my window over that big lake that we can not agree on its name every morning so I am " Baja Sun Struck too":biggrin:

you aint doin' to bad if you get some Baja sunshine every mornin...lucky guy:O:spingrin:

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by eetdrt88]

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 07:28 PM

The official website for LOS Algodones is at:
http://www.losalgodones.com/

Same spelling on Mexicali municipal official site (end of page):
http://www.mexicaliturismo.com/english/visit_togo00.html

It's well signposted with that name all over the area, although the road on the US side is "Algodones Road".

[Edited on 12-9-2005 by Riom]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
That's the way Ray Cannon spelled it, and before his book all you heard was 'Gulf of California'.

As long as we're assigning guilt, wasn't "The Log from the Sea of Cortez" out before that?

Anybody have pre-Steinbeck references to the phrase?

--Larry

Oh yes, of course... Cannon's book was published in '66 and Steinback's in '41... But, it was Cannon's book that really made the Cortez name for this gulf popular. People respected Cannon's great work in making this wonderful book... All Baja fans should have a copy...

For political reasons, the Cortez (Cortes) name may swallow better since 'Gulf of California' sounds like this gulf belongs to California (USA)...

The truth is, 'California' was the peninsula's name BEFORE there was a USA. When the word 'Baja' was added to 'California', the gulf probably should have also received a name change!

Here's the inside page of mine, autographed by the author...

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:08 AM

Hey David thats great! A autographed copy!
I have 2 that are NOT autographed, I am going to put 1 and a bunch of other Baja books on ebay after the holidays.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:20 AM

Mar de Cort?z
Golfo de California y
Mar Bermejo
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
Hey David thats great! A autographed copy!
I have 2 that are NOT autographed, I am going to put 1 and a bunch of other Baja books on ebay after the holidays.

Yes, as you can see it was autographed to me... I have my dad to thank for that... He and I went to the boat show in L.A. or Long Beach in 1967 and he asked Ray to autograph it to me (I was 9 years old at the time)... My dad was a great and generous man and I have him to thank for my addiction to Baja! Oh, and not to leave my mom out... she loved Baja very much as well!

Here we are in La Paz, a few months before the meeting with Cannon... at the end of our Jeep trip the length of Baja in 1966... The new ferry to Mazatlan we took to get home on pavement. Longer, but quicker than going back over 'The Road' to Tijuana!

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 07:41 PM

I've read somewhere in a Spanish history--Venegas, I think-- that "Mar Bermejo de Cortes" was originally named after the Red Sea and had Mr. Conquistadore's name added to distinguish it from the original. The two bodies of water have a lot in common when it comes to orientation, and this would have been pretty obvious to Europeans who manned sailing ships. This explanation seems more reasonable to me than the one that bases the name on the water being red.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.