Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: So. Cal. fires
El Jefe
Super Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 10-27-2003 at 09:26 PM
fires

Yes, the fires are still a major problem. My professional opinion is that they will moderate tomorrow Tuesday, and be much less of an issue on Wednesday with most people back in their homes by then. Crews will be doing overhaul and mop-up for several days. This is the worst we have seen in San Diego county in my 27 years on the job. Winds had turned to sea breeze today in Vista where I work so things are already starting to shift. Down slope winds will be a problem tonight, however. I've got people on the fires that have not rested in 48 hours and that makes me worry that they will get injured. Lets hope no more people are lost or hurt on these fires. It looks like there was a big one in the Tecate/Guadalupe Valley too. Take care all, Tom
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 09:38 PM

Tom, It goes without saying , but I'll say it anyways, THANKS TO YOU AND ALL YOUR 'BROTHERS IN ARMS'

What a tough job you guys have had.

Stay safe!!!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 10:51 PM

My prayers go out to all of those affected by the fires, my casa is always open for any one that needs it.

Unfortunatelly Playas is right on the path of the smoke from the San Diego fires, so we have been choking from the smoke and the rain of ashes for two days now.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 03:28 PM

Big bummer.

We just found out that friends in Alpine lost everything last night. 27 years worth of stuff. They are safe however.

Also other friends in Flinn Springs lost thier house. They collect Harley's had 7, both new & vintage were able to save 3.

So Cal is not out of the woods yet. Big flareups in the San Berdoo mountains and the wind in SD is supposed to start blowing on shore (east) this may not stop until it gets to Anza-Borrego desert and beyond.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2003 at 07:50 PM
Update on Our Fire

I posted a report of our experience with the fire (quite an ordeal) on the Nomad Off-Subject Forum yesterday. Here is a link to the photo's from last Saturday. Damage confined to horse corrals, calf pens, smoke and water-well plumbing.

http://www.draven007.com/index.php?msg=mod&path=fire/mike/

and

http://www.draven007.com/index.php?msg=mod&path=fire/sean/

All of these were taken from our property on Saturday afternoon and evening.

Thanks for all the "warmth" we feel radiating from our friends. Very happy to hear Neal and Marian are back at home. I can only wonder how Kneal will review the photos of WIW's with no electricity???
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

thumbup.gif posted on 10-30-2003 at 07:53 PM

El Jefe was close in his call!
We left our place ijn Santee on Sunday evening when it looked as if someone was playing horseshores with fire and we were the stake! Told the neighbors that we would wander back to our place in Baja and one of them pointed out that we didn't have a place in Baja. Sad, walked into the house to tell Lu Ann that we better beat feet when she told me that Keri at Pyramid Resort had called and offered to put us up if needed, AMIGOS DE BAJA PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE--folks I really believe that!!! WE left the fires and returned to our friends in Baja.
I have always been against driving in Baja at night --and got a bunch of stuff about that--Anyway the coastline south of Rosarito was beautiful, like the queen's necklace up around Santa Monica.
Wow, Lu Ann, Sabrina( our cat) and little old me made it and found comfort along the beautiful Pacific with Keri and Mike.
Stayed four days ( I came back to scout the damage and found our home still standing--bunch of ash all over everything!
If you ever get the chance to stay with Keri and Mike at the Pyramid Resort realize that they are true Baja People and that they will help whever they can.
THANKS KERI AND MIKE!!
While we were there we found that they were also hosts to a Mexican Couple one of whom was suffering for Pancratic(spell) Cancer. Keri would never ask for help for this couple BUT I would. Send a couple of bucks to help this wonderful guy!
SO DAMN GLAD TO BE HOME!
Fantastic, to sleep in our own bed tonight!!!

[Edited on 10-31-2003 by Baja Bernie]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.