Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Americans Stake Claims in a Baja Land Rush
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 01:11 PM
Right on Capt. MIke!!

Its nice to know that someone's out there that can think rationally and take all things into consideration. Money and work are not what create disfunctional families, disfunctional people do. Rates of divorce and family problems are just as prevalent in households like the one Ski Baja was kind enough to present to us, as they are in households like many of us are used to. I was not "gung ho" on the idea of 5,000 new homes going into Nopolo, but when I put rational thought to it and considered the future of the town and its people, I realized that it would be very good.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 01:42 PM
Homes and Living in Loreto

Since you were comparing yourself to the locals, I was wondering if you actually lived like one. Rather than one of the mansions at Nopolo.
And since these people have survived all those years and retained their humanity through all the hardships, maybe they can survive the onslaught of the American mentality and capitalism as well.
What will these local people do with their new found riches? Buy better homes? Ford Explorers? Nose Jobs?
They seemed pretty happy to me before they were taught how badly they need material things and nonsense.
And Mike, I ran crews building Laguna Niguel from the beginning. We chased the deer right out of there to build pink stucco homes in planned communities.
I made lot's of money but will never forgive myself for being a part of that. I hate to see the same thing happen in Baja, which the white people are promoting so vehemently in a land that is not theirs.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 01:49 PM
Promoting Tourism

Pam, would a lot more people in your area mean a lot more business for you ? And will any of the Mexicans that work for you or those tourists make anywhere near the money that you do from tourism or building homes for the "new families"?
It's nice that yall are so concerned about improving what's really nunya.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 02:01 PM
Currently tourism is the only industry in Loreto

Yes, a lot more people would mean more business for me, as I stated in my first post. But what I was trying to get across before I was shot down by personal attacks, was that the people of Loreto do want this project. And as I have observed and considered after living here for several years, the town needs it. Now you're sitting in Rosarito Beach a place that has several mechanisims which feed its local economy, and you've admitted that you have been part of development in So Cal, but now that you have already made your wealth from what you have done, you see the need to deprive others of doing the same. So do you need to see an image of my house now? Do you need to hear that I have lived like the locals in colonia Zaragoza and didn't like it so I have saved, and worked to improve my life. I have used my skills as an opportunity to advance myself as I can. And you find fault with this? The employees that I have in place and those that will be added as I expand will earn more as I earn more. Will they earn the same as I do? No they will not unless they venture out on their own and find their own success. Anyone who has their own business can understand this.

Anyway I hope Loreto Bay kicks butt and proves all the negtive opinions wrong.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja

It's nice that yall are so concerned about improving what's really nunya.

Are you saying its none of my business? If you read my posts, it is all of my business. I have my entire family here, husband, four stepsons, two young children.....the future of the town we live in is none of MY business??

Mr. Rodarito Beach, this is really none of YOUR business.:moon:
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 02:34 PM
Blonds Boobs and SUVs

I happen to kown such a person. She teaches first grade at an (AT Risk School) in Las Vegas where most of the kids are from Latin American countries. She's the first one at school, about 6:00am and I've never seen her home before 5:00pm. She buys most of the classroom supplies out of her own pocket and she loves her kidds. I've watched students she taught 3 and 4 years ago come up and tell her they love her in Spanish and english. The only problems she has ( and these are tought ones ) She has blond hair. She has a boob job. And she drives an SUV. Come to think of it, When she's out fishing with me on the Sonora Wind she kinda looks like Pam. ;D How bad can that be. How much is a nose job anyway?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 02:47 PM

J. R. you are getting away out of line!! Did somewone cut you off?You need a pill to slow your thoughts down
J. R. I will tell you that I know a great many people in Loreto and have a lot of contacts.
Everyone that has communication and no money would like to see jobs come in.Just like you when you were a working man.
There are several people who would like to se it stay the same.
I was in my on little heaven until a couple of monyed people came inand build 2 multi. millon dollar houses on each side of me and then wanted to close off the beach to the Mexicans.They were not sucessfull!!

I hope that if they can they will get a few new houses built and help the town grow as happened in the 70"s. As bad as it was to see the new people come in it was a pleasure to see the standard of living increase. I know of some people who were able to pay their $16.00 ayear for Health Care.

Now Pam I think that you have done a great job in a difficult setting. You are well respected,disliked by a few, feared by a few and loved by many more.Keep up the good workI know that you respect my opinion about the Homes even through you might not agree. I saw what happened to the Valle San Juan when the water was gone.If they can sole the water problem that will be great.

PAM;Do not let J. R. words get to you lately they have been just like "NOsey" or Nancy Drew.He somewhere has a good heart.His mind is really screwwed up as he dwells on the negative. I have met him personally and think that some day he may wake up and realize that there is a better way of looking at things. Any way I will go to the Baptist next Sunday and have several Prayers for him and him alone.
Pam: Is Nopolo full? if not why ?I still have one lot out north that is for Sale.
Skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 05:00 PM
Well !

Perhaps a little out of line Skeet but I wasn't intending there to be personal attacks. I asked questions that apparently offended. Nancy Drew? I don't think so. These are my own opinions.
I am dead against the building of 5000 homes in what once was a very tranquil, special place with an incredible view of the mountains. Animals live there.
I have watched this happen in many places including "Rodarito" and one of the main reasons why most of us love Mexico changed. The people. They became greedy. And it is bound to happen wherever this type building goes on. In a humanly sense, this is not good. Perhaps a select few will benefit but when all is said and done, the locals will be in the same position they were in but everything will cost more. That is what happens. Every time. They won't be buying anything different because their increase in wages or lack thereof won't even keep up with the cost of living. As always.
I am sure you are fair with your employees Pam or you wouldn't have them but in order for them to keep up with the increase in the cost of living that
occurs in "developments", I don't see it as an improvement.
And if you guys don't know what I am referring to when I am talking about the inevitable changes in character of the locals that will happen with these changes, then you were probably just here for the money to begin with.
And speaking of character, Loreto has a new river ? Interesting, these marketing techniques the foreigners are using to help those poor, honest Mexicans learn a better way of life. Rightyo people !
Perhaps the lack of the advertised river might be acceptable but the Dengue I'm sure won't be.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 07:45 PM

J. R, Once again you are off and running!!You know the very same thing is happening here in the Good ole USA. The people are moving out of San Jose to Los Banos causing and increase in all things and squesing the poorer folks out.
I have and idea that if Pam has to leave Loreto for the sake of money that she will not Belly-Ache and be a Cry=Baby about the whole thing she seems to be the kind that can make a success of any failure and go to other things.

Excellent picture of a very good Rattler. Made my mouth water, haven"t had a good juicy snake since I left Loreto.
skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 08:28 PM
Snakes

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 08:32 PM
Snakes

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 06:48 AM
it will probably not grow to 5000 homes

even after 20 or 30 years, and they have to consider a desalinization plant - at what cost? market will drive it. we can be for or against development in mex, baja or wherever....the thing is to let MARKET forces command activity. I can understand JR's feelings and respect his right to think how his heart believes. But it's ok to feel an opposite position. In my baja travels to a lot of small villages with the Flyin' Sams i hear the same things Pam laments - the people want but do not have jobs and growth, they want to advance beyond the stereotype of the "quaint little fishing , or whatever village",. people sitting on their verandas with nothing more to look forwarfd to but a repeat of the last "groundhog day"!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 09:44 AM

An excellent compromise would be to build half of the proposed Nopolo project in Loreto, which would truly benefit the current citizens of Loreto by the new growth. Nopolo-town is too dense, does not offer what Loreto does, will attract a transient population, is as artificial as a planned community can be and therefore will attract a crowd that wants to be segregated. No tortilleria on the corner, no fish taco stands, no open fruit market, no docks with pangas, no fresh catch at the end of the day. Nopolo will benefit Loreto in the short term during the building stage. Nopolo will ruin the bay forever, will likely discourage or prevent "outsiders" from even using the bay, and thus, be taking something away from Loreto. Yes, the market should dictate development, and that is why Loreto hasn't changed much. So what exists to suggest that Nopolo will be successful.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 01:46 PM

Here's the article online:

http://www.trivalleyherald.com/Stories/0,1413,86~10669~17247...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 01:47 PM

...and again:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1026baja26.html
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-28-2003 at 01:51 PM

...and:

http://tinyurl.com/sqvm
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.