Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja for X-mas + New Years
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 11:13 PM
Baja for X-mas + New Years

Who has plans for some travel during this time?....Where are you going?....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2003 at 11:55 PM

Yes, the plan is (and plans can change) to go 'annoy' some whales (I never have) then to Camp Gecko to bring in the New Year with my fellow Amigos, who are also now Nomads! My daughter is riding with Marla, to help with her two little ones and to reduce the crowding in my truck, as my kids are growing (too fast)! I have been at Bahia de los Angeles the past two New Years and enjoyed it greatly there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 06:46 AM
I should be in Mulege then.

have the past several........... chilly nights out by the firepit in front of the trailer, slow BBQing whatever comes out of the freezer or grilling pez fresca off the day's boat (i pray for yellow tail!), sipping Keoke cafe's with whipped creme topping and plenty of rum and brandy.........stop by if you like!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 09:28 AM

Was thinking of the Sisters(surfing) and BOLA thing myself...went there last year and it was great....wanted to spend more time this year....
Barriles

rolleyes.gif posted on 10-26-2003 at 12:34 PM
East Cape soon

I am going down too, to East Cape mid December til early January.

My hope is that the water has evaporated and the bugs are gone...Dengue does not become me.

Does anyone have ideas on how to track the progress of the dengue problem with some reliability (not government information!)

Or do you know how to get some better information regarding Los Barriles and the after hurricane effects? Thanks

Barriles
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 01:13 PM

Bringing the wife and the little ones down to Mulege/Bahia Conception. Hope to visit some Missions after receiving such a fine education on this board by David K and others...get lucky and see some whales, dolphins, sea turtles since my kids are raiding the local libraries on the subjects...have a beer with Capt. Mike...and be lucky enough to get out on a panga and hook into a YELLOWTAIL ;D

Just purchased, Roadside Geology and Biology of Baja California. My thinking here is that when the kids run out of videos and all reception to the outside world is just a memory, we can just look out the window and study the landscape!

And if that doesn't work, I may have to resort to tranquilizers and a good pair of earplugs. :lol:

We plan on arriving in Mulege by the 22 and return to Rosarito for New Years and back in San Diego Ano Nuevo Diaz--or something like that.

I, too, hope the bugs be gone. JR's reports have been pretty chilling. A few deaths in India and China from Dengue and it is big news around the world. Over a hundred die in this recent outbreak in Baja, hospitals run out of beds for the sick and I have seen one lousy article printed in a small Bay Area newspaper about Union City cancelling a trip to their sister city of Santa Rosalia because of a recent outbreak of Dengue.

Keep us informed amigos so that we can take the necessary precautions!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 01:31 PM

Thanks family guy, you have the opportunity to see many mission sites, depending on available time.

Adobe ruins near or next to Hwy. 1 include Descanso, San Miguel, Santo Tomas, San Vicente, El Rosario. A couple miles off the highway are Santo Domingo and San Fernando.

Stone missions you can drive right to, near Hwy. 1 are San Ignacio, Mulege, ruins of the San Juan Bautista Londo visita and California's first mission at Loreto.

Photos and GPS at http://davidksbaja.com/bajamissions

[Edited on 10-26-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 02:58 PM

Thank YOU David K..

for you wonderful first hand information on the Missions of Baja. I have all of your posts printed with directions. Some of the more remote sites will have to wait for another visit. I also went through a couple reams of paper printing the academicanarchist papers but found the reading worth the effort and recommend to all the amigos to read in small doses.

The difficulty the Jesuits found in establishing and maintaining the Baja Missions speaks volumes on the obstacles of civilizing this wonderful but inhospitable peninsula. 200 years later, developers are betting billions of dollars that they can succeed where others have failed. Much discussion is also given to the dislocation of the families--the forced separation of young girls from their parents, and the spread of disease that drove the indigenous population to near biological and cultural extinction.

And to think that I used to whizz by these historic monuments with hardly a glance occupied by visions of beer, tacos, and big fish.

Now at least I'll stop and take a look before I continue on in my quest for beer, tacos, and el pescado grande. ;)

It's too bad that the Mission at Comondu was destroyed to build a school the old pictures you have posted looked quite impressive. And according to the anarchist, records indicate that it was one of the largest of the Missions. But then again, you could hardly fault the locals for using it to build a school.

Apparently part of this great Mission was preserved as a church currently used by locals.

Quote:

One section of the original mission complex has been converted into a small church for the use of the town.

I didn't see a picture of this on your site, just what looked like ruins from the original site and some smaller dwellings. Is there anything left intact of the original mission complex? :?:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2003 at 07:28 PM
San Jose de Comondu

Yes Family Guy, the one part of the original mission complex left intact and converted into a church is displayed in my mission site http://davidksbaja.com/bajamissions . It is the second photo on the page for San Jose de Comondu. The first photo are the ruins at Comondu Viejo, 20 miles away. Both photos were taken by Jack Swords. The historic photos were taken by Arthur North and provided by Dr. Jackson (academicanarchist). And yes, San Jose de Comondu was the LARGEST mission complex in California! Jimmy Smith has a different version of why the mission was torn down... Seems a general needed building material for his villa! Gotta love these stories (true or yarns)!

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2003 at 06:06 AM
Nice Idea

Due to the storms we are leaving on the first of Dec. with a pick up load of clothes and school supplies to get to the people that need them and then we will spend the holidays where ever we end up. We plan to be traveling Baja S. until the end of feb. It would be fun to connect with Nomad people. Let me know where you will be and when.
Brenda Goodson
Junior Nomad

Mood: working....

[*] posted on 10-30-2003 at 06:58 PM
DENGUE

Text
HI TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KNOW INFO ABOUT THE MUNICIPAL OF MULEGE:
I LIVE IN SANTA ROSALIA AND YES DENGUE WAS A PROBLEM FOR B.C.S. WE WILL NEVER KNOW HOW MANY CASES ETC.
I HOSTED THE DINNER FOR THE MANHATTAN BEACH SISTER CITY TO SANTA ROSALIA AND THE GROUP OF THE MUNICIPAL OF MULEGE DURING THE FIESTAS OF SANTA ROSALIA DAYS AND THERE WAS NO MENTION OF THE PROBLEM OF UNION CITY. WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME. GREAT FOOD AND GREAT CONVERSATION. THANKS BRENDA

Brenda

Visit Hotel Las Casitas in Santa Rosalia BCS

http://www.santarosaliacasitas.com
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 11-3-2003 at 10:52 AM

I'm going to Camp Gecko to ring in the New Year. Happily, all 3 of my kids are going to. Oldest goes to college in Illinois, middle is attending college in Mammoth, and youngest (16) is going on 25 in high school...they are wondering if there will be any others in their age range.

Trying to convince them to skip a U.S. Christmas, and go south sooner. Is it hard to find rooms during xmas vacation?

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

thumbup.gif posted on 11-3-2003 at 08:44 PM

From Dec 18 to 20th drive to La Paz From Rosarito, staying in Santa Rosalia
From the 20th to the 29th La Paz.
29 & 30 Mulege
31 and Jan 1 Laguna San Ignacio
Jan 2 & 3 Guerrero Negro
Jan 4-6 return to U.S. the slow way
.:bounce::bounce::bounce:
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 12:48 PM
Christmass Camping

I have a large group 11 to 14 families going to Pete?s ?San Felipe We will be in an out at different times .12-20-03 to 1-4-04
Mostly dirt bikes some atv?s we will do day trips May be a overnighter to Mike?s or Gonzaga or Ensenada. Some serious bike rides some with the kids and girls
More company is welcome
photos on my web site Arvadacycle.com
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2003 at 01:21 PM

Here's my plans:

Leaving SD on 12/20 for Playa San Rafael. Stay there for 2 days. Boogie down to Muluge for one night..stay at Orchard. Then head to Agua Verde for Christmas. Stay there for about 4 days. Then heading south to Cabo. Picking up Mom at the airport then off to celebrate New Years with friends at Pancho's Restaurant. Drive home in 2 days back to San Diego.

Zac
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 11-7-2003 at 11:43 AM
Holidays in Baja

Starting from Oregon we'll collect 2 more in the San Juaquin (?) valley and another traveler in LA who comes from Germany. THen off to 10 days in Mazatlan and then over for 10 days in La Paz. Before we fly home we'll have about 6 days to wander, maybe as far as Mulege. Maybe to Santiago ( Mike H. Made it sound worth exploring). We'll be on the road (& in the air) from December 12 to Jan. 8. Can hardly wait!! We have a few days with no reservations yet. QUESTION: will we have much trouble getting inexpensive rooms for 2-3 days in either La Paz or Loreto at that time? THanks a bunch and have a happy!! Annie T.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.