Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In Memory of JR
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 05:06 PM
In Memory of JR

Let's all play like we are sitting around a campfire out in the desert somewhere in Baja with the sound of bamboo rustling in the background and we are here to tell tales of our friend JR:

I will go first
I was in Los Barriles last year at Tio Pablo's department rstocking books. When I came out there was this pickup truck with a bamboo rack. Well I knew immediately who was in the bar and wandered over and introduced myself. What a charmer! We spoke briefly and I was on my merry way.
After reading about his other bamboo projects, I contacted him to build a mosquito net for my bed. He said that he hoped he could get it done over the winter months.
This is not much of a tale but I am sure that others of you have some wonderful stories to tell. Now is the time to share them.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 06:18 PM
Great subject, Bajajudy

I never met the great, infamous (in Baja bulletin boards, anyway), JR, but from the first, whenever I saw his handle, I always logged into his posts.

Alternately fascinated and appalled by his edginess and willingness to take on all comers, he never deviated from his basic and logical observations and summations of the "state of Gringo in Mexico", and, despite being bitterly attacked by the "Emperors who wear no clothes", did not fall of the edge into mean spiritedness or bitterness.

I was hooked.

He took the war to the battlements; monetary entitlement and cultural snobbery versus solid, established ethnocultural ways of living.

He looked at us through his kaleidoscope of being bicultural, and, in his musings, he let some of his thoughts that he felt bereft of his ethnic heritage and was trying to reclaim it come through; giving us a unique and very naked peek into the great divide between the border and Baja sur cultures.

I will miss his wit, wisdom and insight.

Good night and sweet dreams, good spirit.

[Edited on 12-13-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 06:38 PM
JR

Spent some time with JR in San Bartolo last year. He shared his dreams and plans for the bamboo projects and an old house he was fixing up for ? Bought him lunch in Los Barriles and then he was on his way to get on the internet and ruffle some more feathers. Had the impression that he really enjoyed this role. Good heart for Baja folks, hoped to see him again this year.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 06:45 PM
A Tribute

As you and will always remember that " thorn" in the arse, JR, remember a couple things.
What he gave you is/was a conscience even tho he wasn't always on target or on cue, but especially to those of you who knew him more intimately. He did reveal much but not all.
I wasn't fortunate enough and it may have been an awkward relationship but the JR I got to know vicariously totally affected my view and attitude online.
He may not have always brought the best out of me but, by damn, I believed his sincerity. He may have been a mentor of sorts. Particularily when he would engage me and exchange points, many times finding myself agreeing with him only to lose confidence from others.
I guess it was/is a price I'm was willing to pay. I found him intriguing to say the least as I do others also but none as profoundly as JR. What I saw in JR was his unending passion, love and defense of Baja and it's people. I admire this. Mexico is certainly at a loss in my opinion.
This kind of man stimulates others through his strong feelings, actions and words designed to do just that. Not only a thinker but a doer.
This is what defines the person. What you see is what you get; lock, stock and barrel whether you like it or not.

To those unforgiving few......... I think it's time.

I just learned something very good just now, thanks JR.
:cool:
See yer arse later:saint: Corky
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

sad.gif posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:06 PM
Thanks for that Sharks

My personality has never had much time for people who seem to gratuitously yank other folk's chains. Perhaps I am more like him than is easy to admit; I just haven't the gonads to say what's in my gut, and stand up and take the heat. He could do that...with zeal. I don't like having people pi$$ed at me. Maybe JR taught me that that is dishonest.

I find myself unexplainably emotional about the loss of someone I did not get to meet. Hard as I tried, he DID have an effect on me. So, I forgive you if you can forgive me JR.
Go forth and give 'em HELL.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:19 PM

JR stopped by my place in La Ribera and we shared a couple beers. I saw the eyes, the smile, the demeanor of a prophet -- I got the feeling that he made every person he got close to a conspirator in the war - "us against them". Gypsyjan hit it right when she alluded to the "border people vs southern Baja folks." It made little sense to me because to me he was a greenhorn newcomber here who lived way up north in Rosarito. IT IS VERY HARD TO BE CHARITABLE IN MEXICO. I know smart people around here who find ways to help needy Mexicans, Mexican families. They might not approve of JRs methods but they would have hailed his giving heart, his zeal, his love for the place and all its people -- I know I do.
There are a lot of misguided missionaries around these parts and I don't like any of em. I sure took a liking to JR.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:27 PM
i just got home and read this news...

and I am feeling somewhat strange....the weird thing is that I never met JR or anyone from this board for that matter although i'm hoping to meet up with quite a few of you for Bajalou's New Years eve gathering...but I am definitely feeling a loss over a person that i've never met...some of what JR said here seemed quite confrontational at times but I have to say his posts almost always held my interest and his eye for great pictures was sometimes unbelievable...i will definitely miss his character and his wit

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 07:59 PM

A good man he was, full of life and giving! Rip JR, I will miss you...

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Herb2

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 08:26 PM

A Nomad for whom I have tremendous respect once gave me some of the most wise advice that I have ever received. He told me that he did not place so much stock in what people wrote but was more concerned with face to face meetings with people so that you could actually look into their eyes and see what makes them smile. That, he told me, would tell you what is REALLY important to a person and would speak volumes about that individual's character. He made an assessment of JR back then based on this model that, in my mind, was 100% accurate. In fact, he so eloquently put into words what I had already learned about JR. His quote in a post once directed at JR:

"SOME ARE ALWAYS ASKING YOU TO LIGHTEN UP! But let me say that I believe that men and women of passion are somehow unable to'lighten up'. They just care too much and see far too much.
Stay as you are my friend!"

He had obviously looked into JR's eyes and seen what made him smile. Bottom line is that I have never met a more caring and compassionate "human" (to coin his favorite term). He was so passionate and straightforward in his feelings and beliefs, however, that there was no room in his mindset for being PC to spare anyone's feelings. At the same time, though, this was the beauty of Mr. Palmer. He was true WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) because he did not mince words even if he was not choosing the kindest of them. We all know, however, that actions speak louder than words. And the overwhelming majority of his actions conveyed more kindness to those who knew him than most of us could ever imagine.

I met JR after the devastating hurricane season of 2003. I emailed him as a complete stranger, not even a registered Nomad at the time. Merely a long time lurker from there and Amigos before. I asked him for suggestions on where I could go and what I could do to help. He directed me to some small mountain villages and communities where I have since made friends who are like family to me now. I thanked him for his help in providing me with such a rewarding experience and he subsequently invited me to stop by and visit. I did so bearing, naturally, even more donations for his next trip down south. We hit it off instantly. We shared many common passions and had a strikingly similar outlook on life in general.

We travelled together shortly thereafter and what a blast that was. He was an incredibly skilled (and crazy) off-road driver. We explored remote nooks and crannys of the peninsula, shared a wild "confluence point" hiking adventure, and met and spent time with many more wonderful people along the way just by being "human". We have stayed in touch ever since and I visited him on a regular basis. He became a dear friend and was truly loved by myself and my family.

It has been said, at times, that he was self-promoting. Ha! Nothing could be further from the truth. A self-promoting person would have been far more concerned about his public image. He had a story, a message, and a vision that he was determined to share with the world. He wanted to challenge people to look at things differently and he didn't give a damn what people thought about him as an individual as long as the message was heard. He saw himself as merely the messenger. And, as we all know, a devoted one.

There were some who proclaimed pity for the man because he must have been miserable and lonely. Not so. Those who have had the pleasure of meeting her, know that his soul-mate Carol is one of life's truly special people. They shared a wonderful kind of love with each other that most people never find. She tolelrated him, tamed him, encouraged him, nurtured him, reigned him in and at times, just shook her head and let him run wild. He, in turn knew what he had and cherished her as only he could. She was right there by his side to the very end. He could not have been more loved. And he deserved it. They were beautiful to watch together.

When I went to San Bartolo to visit him just before summer this year, I ended up having to bring him and his dogs back north as his health really began to take a turn for the worse. I watched how he handled the onset of his impending physical demise with a grace that I could not even begin to imagine. Always smiling when I saw him and leaning forward to embrace me with little more than his shoulders as his arms were increasingly unable to move.

In the last message I received from him, he asked about making a "couple more trips down south while I still can." Well it didn't happen before your death, my friend, but you still can. Because I will cary you with me in warm memories everywhere I go. Down south, up north and anywhere else on the planet. Thank you!!!

Ken

Soy P-nche Gringo y Que!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 08:32 PM

At first I thought it was some horrible joke!! JR was the one Baja Nomad that transformed me from "lurker" to poster!! Some of the things he said just infuriated me and then he would go and post something quite sensitive. His pictures were amazing!
This board has definitely lost a major presence.

Ken Just read your post. Thank you for sharing!!

[Edited on 2005-12-13 by Marie-Rose]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:34 PM

Herb2, that was a beautiful tribute.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:45 PM

Wow, this is a huge loss... I am in tears. God bless you JR!
Bob H
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 11:45 AM

wow! i am in shock....that seemed to come out of nowhere....my sympathies for his family and loved ones... vaya con dios JR.....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 05:21 PM

It certaintly does seem to come out of nowhere. He was very brave to keep it from this board. I feel bad for giving him such a hard time!
DDurrell

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 12:50 AM

Bajajudy.... Don't know you. Don't think I've met you unless you are the guys that moved into La Barca that used to have the "Main Event " in El Monte. Bruce told me about this site and I'm flabergasted. Lots more to come. JR was more of a brother to me than a cousin.
I loved the way you started this..... lets just sit back and talk about JR.
Thats the way he did things.
Thank you .
Dave
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:32 AM

REMEMBERING J.R.

ANOTHER BAJA AMIGO HAS PASSED AWAY
THE NEWS HAS MADE THIS A VERY SAD DAY

HELPING OTHER PEOPLE WAS HIS MAIN GOAL
UP AND DOWN HIWAY 1 HIS TRUCK WOULD ROLL

DRIVING UP IN THE MOUNTAINS OR ALONG THE SHORE
ALLWAYS COLLECTING DONATIONS TO GIVE TO THE POOR

HE PULLED INTO MY CAMP ONE SATURDAY NIGHT
WE DRANK TEQUILIA AND B.S.ed WELL INTO THE NIGHT

SO WHEN I DRIVE DOWN BAJA AND SEE SOME BAMBOO
YOU KNOW J.R. I?LL BE THINKING OF YOU
BAJAGROUPER` 05

I hear the whales song
DDurrell

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 09:32 PM

In 1967 I was 16 and had just gotten my driver?s license. I had only been to Mexico once before. My brother Dennis, JR and I planned a week- long trip during Easter break from school. Back then all you needed was notarized permission from your parents to cross the border if you were under 18. Don?t know what the situation is now.) So Friday afternoon, armed with surfboards, sleeping bags, a tent and an ice chest we were off and the adventure began. We ended up spending 25 cents a day to camp on the bluff between K38 and K 39 (now it?s a high rise). We surfed there and explored the coast as far as we could, searching for ? The Wave?. We had a blast. Tuesday was my girlfriend?s birthday and I had a hot date that night back in Azusa. I left JR and my brother at the campsite and promised to be back the next afternoon. Well?. Somehow I didn?t get back down there till Friday. No JR, No Dennis, No surfboards, just the tent and my sleeping bag. Crap! What had I done? Left two 14-year-old kids in a foreign country with nothing but the clothes on their back. There was no one around to ask any questions so I just decided to wait. Around sunset, an old beat up truck pulls out onto the Bluff with Dennis and JR in the back screaming their lungs out at me. I?ve never been called so many names in my life. Leave it to JR. He?d made friends with some of the local Mexican surfers and they took care of the two till I got back. There was an old out house on the bluff. I was inside taking care of business. JR some how managed to block the door so it wouldn?t open. He then dropped in about a brick of firecrackers. Besides the burns on my legs, I don?t think I could hear a thing for about a week. It took me over 10 years to pay him back for that one, but that?s another story.

Over the years we made quite a few trips to Baja together, but that first one still sticks in my mind.
JR was made for Baja. Or maybe Baja was made for JR. And Jay found one special woman in Carol. Carol my hat is off to you. You and Jay had a unique relationship that is hard to find.
I never got the chance to see the bamboo farm or many of the other projects that he had in the works. Hopefully someday I will.

JR was a character, a charmer, a true nomad and an antagonist who could pee you off to the max.
He was also mi primo
And I miss him.

Dave
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 12:14 PM

I talked to JR on the phone after he left me an e-mail that was pretty shocking! :wow: He got me mixed up with another nomad that he was peeed off with. He really felt bad when he realized what he did and it was funny hearing him change his tune, I have to amitt I made him squirm for awhile, I have been called alot through the years but that beat everything! :O I couldn't stay upset with him and just had a good laugh over it.

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.