BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vagabundos Insurance ??
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 05:04 PM
Vagabundos Insurance ??

I just checked quotes from both Vagabundos and Lewis/Lewis. Vagabundos is about 10% less even with the membership and they can also send my fishing licenses.

Anyone had any experience with them for insurance ??
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 05:31 PM

Who do they use for insurance?

Discover Baja uses GE and Lewis & Lewis uses Qualitas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Who do they use for insurance?

Discover Baja uses GE and Lewis & Lewis uses Qualitas.

from their website:
Authorized Agent for AdaVis Insurance.

Zac

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:51 PM

I'm a Lewis & Lewis customer but I used the Vags, last year and they beat Lewis & Lewis then also. I'll use them again this year, and also for my FMT, Fishing license, and boat license. One stop shopping!

The insurance is ADA-Vis Global.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 01:52 AM

What is the difference in the coverage? IF it's the same all the way round, I'll take a look at The Vags policy next year.

Bedman
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 08:54 AM

Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience with the relative strengh of the carriers or their claims responsiveness?

bill
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 09:13 AM
Insurance thread

There was a long thread on Freds board a year or so ago and maybe on this board too. In one, Lewis & Lewis came through after some time. In another thread a company I don't remember totaled a mans $40,000+ diesel PU because he had only paid for $10,000 coverage and they repaired and sold it at a proffit. I do remember that on the case on Freds board Wild Bill Widerhold, one of the moderators on the board went down and got the guy out of jail.
Just remember you must report accidents from Mexico before leaving the country.....
Some research in the archives will give you some info.

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 06:13 PM

Had incidences wilth both companies - (albeit Lewis and Lewis was many years ago when I rolled a truck on our annual Animas trip) - The Contact person in San Quintin listed on the policy had been dead for 3 years. They were only a broker and had no knowledge of who to contact to expeditie the process - It took 7 months for payments on a brand new, yet completely totaled truck ( no injuries). As you can imagine the frustration paying your $375 per month on a totaled vehicle. Using Discover Baja insurance, we unfortunately rolled a truck in 2002 - totaled - and everything was taken care of in a quick, timely manner. The staff are in close contact with the carrier - Lewis and Lewis is still in business so pehaps things have changed - hope this helps - Marv (P.S. - don't expect to get more than low blue book..)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2005 at 07:40 PM

Thanks Marv... I have Discover Baja (GE) insurance and it is comforting to know things were taken care of... Hugh (Discover Baja owner) was excited when they switched to GE as all repairs can be done in America he said.

The company they used before GE had a phone contact line that didn't work, as Baja Ken discovered when he tried to call them... that company is no longer used by Discover Baja!

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 07:02 PM

I have found you can do just as well by using the computer and ordering direct from the San Diego based offices. Also, there is a waiting period with Vegabundos del Mar. With your computer and printer you can print up your policy and be on your way. Mexico has become so tourist friendly, I wonder about the value of these travel clubs.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 07:15 PM

Hey Capt.
Can you also get your FMT, fishing, and boat license on-line? I can, through my travel club! Like I say, one-stop shopping.

Also the Vags throw some awesome parties, both in the US and Baja. They are a club founded by and for fishermen, boat owners, campers and RV'ers.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 08:35 PM

BajaBound.com is great for online daily policies (GE) and are the lowest priced, and I have used them often... But for annual policies they are not competitive as the membership required companies.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.