Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Just back from Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 07:34 PM

Sharky;
Do you remember that the Old Cathouse that was built in Loreto to service the Road Workers was burned down by the locals shortly after the road was completed. The last time I was there the concrete Slab was still there just above Salvuts Place. When I left it was still being used as a Local sunday place to have a Beer and BS.

Yee opened the present Location shortly thereafter with Weekly Doctors checks of all the Girls
Skeet/Loreto
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 08:40 PM

I believe that was in 1971, Skeet. Beto is a nice fellow. I work with one of his son's who is an attorney in town. However, as you and I know, a weekly check of the girls is no assurance that one won't get a STD. I checked a couple of weeks ago with a local physician and found the there is still only one case of suspected SIDA or Aids in town....most likely contacted through a homosexual encounter. However, as more and more Americans and Canadians show up in Loreto, I would guess that number will go up. Beto's hard and fast rule is that one is to put on a raincoat before taking a shower. As far as I know, that rule in unbreakable. Look at Subic Bay in the Phillipines, aids is more the rule there than the exception. Also in Bankok. More foreign visitors equals more Aids. As for the old Penthouse, alas, it is being torn down little by little for the materials. Its as though a landmark was taken away. When I think of all the comings and goings of that old house, it makes me kinda sad. Again, this is all heresay, as I only visit the place in the daytime when it is closed and only to take photos of friends when they come down. Incidentally, the El Ranchito, in La Paz, has fallen on hard times too. Several new places with fresh young horses have opened up nearby and El Ranchito has been stuck with the old plowhorses---from what I have been told. One last thing....off the subject. Loreto Bay is now planning on getting water from La Parisima---so they say. What ever happened to the promise to build a desalination plant in Nopolo? They have broken so many promises and Mexican laws and yet, Fonatur just looks the other way. I always refer to your question....yes, but where will the water come from. Happy trails.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 08:55 PM

i was only making mention thaT THE PENTHOUSE WAS OUT OF TOWN BEFORE NOT IN TOWN WHERE IS IT NOW IS IT NOW I WAS TOLD THAT THE WEMAN OF TOWN KEPT IT OUT THERE?? HAVE A GOOD ONE JERRY oops the caps

jerry and judi
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 09:14 PM
Jerry

It is not in town but accross the highway (Baja 1) and near the new, so-called, industrial zone. However, Mira Mar is creeping down that way and it could be on the fringe of Mira Mar soon. Do you know where the prison is? Its south of the prison about one klick. You are right about wemon in general in Mexico. They are starting to flex their muscles and are going for equal rights. Good on 'em mate.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 01:32 PM
OK I'll post some of the "old" photos

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
Pam, I don't have any aerial photos from that time period. I was always doing the "drive down thing". Maybe someone else has some photos of Loreto before that time period they could share.

Pam, can you post some of your old photos? They would be great to view!

I'll have to scan them in first. Will scan at the shop manana and post when I can. Busy, busy, busy in town right now!
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 03:10 PM
Loreto Main Street

David, this photo of Loreto's main street from a couple of weeks ago using the "Paint" method you suggested...

Pam, I'm sure the board would love to see some of the old photos when you get around to it!
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 03:21 PM
Loreto Harbor

Fooling around with the "Paint" program works, but I'd like to make them larger with I upload. I saw a post a few weeks ago, where someone had put some beautiful photos on the board that were much larger than I'm able to do. Any more suggestions?
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 06:21 PM

1) In "Paint", under "Image", select "Stretch/Skew;

2) Increase the "Horizontal" and Vertical" from 100% to 150%;

3) Select "Attributes"; Set attributes to "Pixels" if it's not already selected.

4) Check size in pixels, what you're shooting for is 600 pixels width.

If not the correct size, go back to step 1 and try again. ALWAYS change the vertical and horizontal by the same amount.

Unfortunately, because of the small file size of this picture, it gets grainy when you blow it up.

You should always size the picture (in pixels or inches) before changing the file size. Something you can't do in "Paint". At least I haven't been able to find a method of only changing one or the other.

I use Adobe Elements and ArcSoft PhotoStudio (among others). They give you full control of almost all photo parameters.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.