BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good Tequilas - stores?
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 01:40 PM
Good Tequilas - stores?

Hi folks

Does anyone know of a place in Mexicali or San Felipe (or vicinity) to get a decent availability on some good tequila? Perhaps Don Julio Anejo or El Tesoro Anejo at a minimum, or Case Noble or Asombroso... but these are just examples. How about Walmart or Costco in Mexicali? Anyone been there lately? I have been to the Walmart in Hermosillo this year and they had some good deals, but not the greatest selection.

Thanks.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 05:34 PM

Baja Taco,

I went through Sonoyita on the way to Puerto Penasco in Sonora, and that was a well-stocked Tequila store. I was able to pick up several varieties of Charanda from Michoacan. The place (I can't remember its name) was on the main road from Lukeville, AZ and billed itself as 'The largest Tequila store in the world' for attracting gringos heading north. You're in AZ, so check it out!

-Ken

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 06:44 PM

Yessir Ken, if it is the place on the left side as you head south I have been there many times. That place must be a little gold mine. :yes: Funny, I can't recall the name either. "Largest tequila store"? Hmmm... I wonder if it is the same place. They had a fair amount of tequila, but hardly the largest in the world :lol: this is the place with all of the pottery and curios too, right? Really big place? I think that's the one.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 07:11 PM
We haven't stopped at the Mexicali Costco for a couple of years...

...however, we did stop at the new Costco in Ensenada last month.

Costco has the popular brands, but the prices didn't appear to me to be any real special deal. The thing that bugs me about buying Tequila in Mexico, is that the distillers cut it to a weaker Proof, IE, 38% - 35% Alc (76-70 Proof) Most all Tequila available here in the US is 40% Alc. (80 Proof)...I guess it's not all that big a deal, and it would probably be hard to detect the difference in Proof in a mixed drink, but it's irritating to see that it's been 'watered down' below the border - in addition, it's just another way for the distillers to 'cut' their product and make more money from it's customers!

I don't remember the brand, but a few years ago, you used to be able to get 100 Proof Tequila in Mexico...I used to cut it on my own down to 80 Proof with distilled water to make it go farther without changing the taste and 'effect' on the users!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 07:28 PM
Not in Mexico, but.....

.....the Rite Aid drug stores are having a sale this week on 750ml bottles of Hornitos for 18.99. That's really pretty close to what I pay in Mexico at the Calimaxs or the Gigantes.

Anyway, Taco, I have found that the larger Calimax and Gigantes have pretty good selections and the prices are tough to beat. Maybe only the Comercial Mexicano stores beat them.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 08:32 PM

Mexray, I hadn't noticed that. I just checked the last 2 bottles I purchased in Mexico and they are both 38%. One of which is Hornitos, but I don't have any locally bought bottles to compare with. (aren't the US bottles 38 too?) Thanks for the tip - I will keep an eye out!

Hook, thank you as well. I appreciate that. I'm good on Hornitos for now, but will check the two stores you mentioned for others.

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2005 at 09:41 PM

In San felipe at Licores San Felipe Mar De Cortez Y Puerto Penasco has a fair selection, they seem to specalize in minatures for collectors but at times have rare labels on sale.
Rite-Aid had Cazadores on sale two weeks ago with a fancy glass for $22.95 with a card, I wanted the glass for my collection, the tequila is 40%- 80 proof.

The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 10:27 PM

Greetings all you Baja Nomads; >>>>> Enjoy poisoning yourself and others with high octane adult beverages, especially tequilas & rums?? I bring good news for any forth comming mind numbing occasion.. On the corner of SIXTH & MADERO in downtoon T.J., there is what I call a DISCOUNT LIQUOR STORE!!! I think the name of this fueling station is "CACTUS". They move lots of poisons here at a lesser price found elsewhere. One example would be HAVANA CLUB rum.. A 7 year aged rum for about 10 dollars less per bottle than most other places and this golden liquid is best used for sipping only.. Works great around a special Baja campfire.. It's a product of "Castro Land" and not available in the U.S. This is a very very good ron IHHO.. I have done some comps.. The store also carries a large selection of TEQUILAS and other poisons.. Check it out.. I think you will like the choice of products here and especially the prices.. >>>>> Kindest Regards, sq.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 12:24 PM
SQ...thanks for the heads up...

...will have to check out the place...Many Cuban Ron's I've checked out are great. Just about any rum that's be aged a few years is highly 'drinkable'...watch out for those 'cheapo' rums that have been 'aged' about 7 hours, though!

A few years ago, Trader Joes had an unadvertised rum for sale @$3.99 a bottle! I bought one and tried it out - yummy...went back for more and they only had a couple of cases left - bought em' both! I think it was Jamaican, as I remember, or maybe Puerto Rican...several amigo's received rum for Christmas presents, that year!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2005 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
In San felipe at Licores San Felipe Mar De Cortez Y Puerto Penasco has a fair selection, they seem to specalize in minatures for collectors but at times have rare labels on sale.
Rite-Aid had Cazadores on sale two weeks ago with a fancy glass for $22.95 with a card, I wanted the glass for my collection, the tequila is 40%- 80 proof.

Thanks mcgyver, I have been here before. I didn't see too much, but maybe I'll get lucky this time! I am thinking I may just give in and get something I really want on-line before the trip instead of chancing it. I can always bring something back if I do come across a good one.

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:51 PM

Well, I ended up actually buying a bottle of Casa Noble to take on the trip before we crossed the border. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot more good tequila offerings in San Felipe these days! Some of the prices were pretty inflated (a store right on the malecon comes to mind) but some were on par with US prices, and a few maybe a bit less. I did buy a bottle of Don Julio anejo for a backup since we would be meeting & camping with quite a few friends along the way.

It was fun!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 11:41 PM
You mentioned Asombroso

in your earlier post.

I dont believe it's available in Mexico; only for export.

I was at Chat Noir Restaurant in SoCal about a year ago; sipping some tequila at happy hour. A guy next to me offered to buy me a shot that the barkeep said ran 15.00. It was delish! Turns out the guy and his partner claim to have contracted for the production and importation of Asombroso and that's why he was willing to comp me the shot. Very good, but I felt just a TAD overpriced.

Haven't seen it available anywhere up here except Hi Times in Costa Mesa. 175.00-200.00 for the anejos. 750ml.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
in your earlier post.

I dont believe it's available in Mexico; only for export.

I was at Chat Noir Restaurant in SoCal about a year ago; sipping some tequila at happy hour. A guy next to me offered to buy me a shot that the barkeep said ran 15.00. It was delish! Turns out the guy and his partner claim to have contracted for the production and importation of Asombroso and that's why he was willing to comp me the shot. Very good, but I felt just a TAD overpriced.

Haven't seen it available anywhere up here except Hi Times in Costa Mesa. 175.00-200.00 for the anejos. 750ml.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I haven't tried it myself, but hope to. On this trip, I decided that I like the Casa Noble reposado much more than the Don Julio anejo. The flavor of the CN is incredible. :bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.