BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good camping Playas past Loreto?
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 09:57 AM
Good camping Playas past Loreto?

Hey everybody,

Although my posts are limited I have been monitoring this forum for quite some time. My bond with Baja has started around 15 years ago, and from then on I have been traveling there couple times a year to several places, mostly on the Sea of Cortez side.

I have spent my last two 'New years' in bahia Concepcion, camping out. This year I plan do drive down a little further as far as Loreto. I always take my kayak, windsurf, fishing pole, and dive gear.

As I am not familiar with Loreto and surrounding beaches, could anybody provide any good insight to some good places to stay (camp) that are not fully yet populated with restaurants, running water and high prices. I have a 4x4 vehicle so I can get to some remote spots.

Basically my goal is to find a spot that is within 1 hour of Loreto (to get supplies and fill my tanks), be an OK dive spot, fairly remote, no RV's, so one can enjoy the scenery and get away from stereos and off-road buggies.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. THanks.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 12-19-2005 at 10:13 AM
Ligui

Cymeryss try Playa Ligui,20 miles or so below Loreto
a few isla,s near bye,should be good diving around isla Danzante I know the fishing is.
Baitcast
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 10:40 AM

That is an excellent suggestion. Sometimes there are a lot of rv's but if you look around you can probably find an isolated spot.
There is a small hill in the middle of the beaches and we have found that facing the water to the right of that hill is usually quieter.
FYI it is pronounced lee wee...just in case you have to ask directions although there are signs on the highway.

[Edited on 12-19-2005 by bajajudy]

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 10:45 AM

You can take a look at Juncalito also,20 miles south of Loreto.Small fishing village with some Gringo palapas and houses to the north side of the bay.On the south side is a nice beach, great for swimming and full of Choclate clams, if you dive.(Ligui is south of Juncalito).

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 10:55 AM

Ligui is nice. It is part of the National Park now so it is much cleaner than the first time I went in there. I'm not sure if they charge to stay there. Out of Ligui, there is nice kayaking and several small islands. I have kayaked around Isla Danzante and stopped and snorkeled on the east side...Really nice! There is no one over there. I have also kayaked from Puerto Escondido, out to Danzante, down the east side and then island hopped down to Ligui. You need to do a shuttle for that one however.
Also, check out the beach at El Juncalito. there are more big rigs in there but it has been a free beach. It is just north of Puerto Escondido. There is an old airplane wreck somewhere off that beach.
Rattlesnake beach is a free beach just south of Tripui, the trailer park at Puerto Escondido. It is accessed from a dirt road that is right near the trailer park. Maybe sombody else has better directions. I have never been in there.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 11:04 AM

I vote for Agua Verde...I'll be there over Christmas. It's a bit further south than you mentioned..I'd guess half hour on pavement and two hours of dirt...I don't exactly recall...and I stop often as the drive down is awesome. AV beaches are almost always deserted, the scenery is incredible, and there is good kayaking and diving. The only downside is if the winds pick up, there's little protection.

Have fun-

Zac

cymeryss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 11:39 AM
They all sound good!!

Man, thanks for the great tips. Aqua Verde does seem appealing but it might be a little far, since we do have to fill up on air every so often. Bajaboy, we might see you there, with a gray 4runner.

Ligui sounds good, so we will probably try them all. Any more input on some good dive sites? Does anybody have detailed info on how to get to that airplane wreck?

Keep it coming, thanks.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 03:17 PM

I've heard about the wreck, we even had a discussion on this board some time ago about it, but have never seen it. If you have a chance to hire a panga for a few hours, there is a sunken boat right off shore on Isla Carmen, just south of Punta Lobos, very good diving there, but can have some strong currents.Ask the locals, they will tell you where the best diving is for the time of year you will be there .BTW agua Verde is very easily accesable by boat, if you do hire a panga, from Juncalito. The Torres Family is there in the village . So if you don't want to chance the drive into A.V. you can take a half hour boat ride to get there (depending on the wind and sea condition).

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2005 at 09:03 PM

Luigi (lee-we) is nice. The beach is called Playa Ensenada Blanca. Juncalito is okay, but certainly a busy place. Playa Salinitas--just south of Col. Zaragosa in Loreto is pretty cool and there are lots of great places to stay on the beach under palapas left over from Easter week.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-20-2005 at 11:41 AM

Weny & I & my brother and our cousin camped on Rattlesnake for about ten years in our r.v.'s. Entrance in is just before you get to Tripui r.v. park, turn right off the pavement down onto a dirt road that heads to the beach and you come to an abandoned dirt airfield. Follow to the left dirt road tracks. Go about a mile & you'll come to the beach. If that is full, turn back & catch the turn off that goes south along the beach. Camping is behind a berm (great wind protector) and maybe fifteen camping sites now. In Nov. we drove it to see if any of our friends were returning, & found John & Leslie from Oregon were there. (though they were in town at the time) Road had been punched out probably another ten camping sites since we
have been there last. Mostly older folks, so gets quiet after dark.
Still a free beach. And only about 20 minutes to town. Plus at the junction to Puerto Escondido, there is a grocery store just to the left after turning off. Also does laundry. Name is Willy. WE recommend his store over the other one further towards the marina.
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2005 at 12:18 PM
Any more info about diving sites around Isla Danzante

Thanks for all of the input. I am excited, and getting ready to drive down on monday. I will probably stop somewhere along the way, since I don't want to drive all the way to loreto in one day (did that before). Questions for which I would still appreciate some info and answers

1. Good place to camp half-way from San Diego to Loreto (around Catavina, or Guerrero Negro)? Has anybody gone to the Calamajue site (mission?) which is before the road fork to Bahia LA? This looks like an interesting spot for a side tour and a hike, camp? There is also San Borja from Rosario which looks interesting.

2. Also, any more good diving spots around isla Danzante? I will have a little pontoon with a small outboard motor for our diving needs, so just tell me where to set ancor !!!

Thank you all for all the great info....
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 07:15 PM
Rattlesnake

had a camper at every spot as of yesterday. I counted around 15 groups from the point going south.

No deep pit toilets, it is going to get ripe there this season.

Danzante, south side point is noted for diving, honeymoon cove and other spots too. Info is free and available in town.

Pontoon boat in December - March? Pick your days carefully. It gets a bit windy, more often than naught this time of year.

Good place to camp halfway: Santa Ines. Hike east from there along the arroyo. Nice palm canyon, although right now the desert in the central part of BCN is dry and mostly dormant. The desert around Loreto is just a little greener, not much.

Good trip tp you!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2005 at 11:48 PM

cymeryss , I have made dives at each of the 4 or so point on the east side (this being our preferred side because of sun placement in the mornings)(( morning diving most advisable because the wind comes up around noon mostly & dayly) also have dove all the way around "Submarine Rock" ( you see it - it explains its name) souther end of Isla.
Anchoring have at least 45 ft. of line on anchor as bottom slopes fast.and you want enought safety incase wind shifts and boat moves toward shore. We anchor in one of the little coves around each point (down wind).
.Pontoon small?? how small ? Ordinary dayly wind waves( Baja Chop) run 2.5 ft to 5 ft. and comes from the North, North East. If you are camp at Juncilito and return in the wind its a 60 to 70 degree into the wind from North end of Isla Danzante. If trying to return from south end it's better to run North on lee side (usually East side) then cross. I do it in a 13 ft. Achillies and it can get bouncy. If staying at or launching from Rattelsnake when you return from N. end Isla you will be running nearly parallel(oh hell SP) with them much more enjoyable ride. One note, last I was there, Rattelsnake shore is wave rolled up rock not sand!!! In waves it can knock you around a lot with real poor footing.
Next a sour note Dec. eary Jan. is when the coral blooms-spawns and vis.is 40 to 25 at Isla.. From rattelsnake south there is a LARGE stone structure (never used water storage tank) straight out East from it is a sunken ship (man made reef) we got the GPS cordinates and couldn't find it (vis. that day/there was barely 6 ft.
Also talk to both good dive shop they will help both speak very good english and interesting fellows. Last I was there the one south had to take their tank over to Dolphin Dive Center to get them filled (their the best(DDC)) have filled tank at the dive/fish trip outfit on the corner 'kitty corner' and S of the bank ( their real holders with "C - S - ta") (ate a lot of 'pollo' waiting till 3 or 4 for them to reopen) but that Mexico don't fight it ENJOY IT.
WOW what an essay. (sp?)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 10:23 AM

Here is the view from Ensenada Blanca... breathtaking!

At the village of Ligui (on Mex. 1 just before the highway climbs the mountain towards Insugentes, south of Puerto Escondido), you head east... there is a major road going right, in a short distance. If you continue ahead (east) you end up on Playa Ligui.

If you turn right (south) you end up at Ensenada Blanca.

Just after turning right you cross an arroyo... If you walk down (east) the arroyo a short ways, you may see some old mason work (see second photo)...

This (brick in morter) is a tiny remaining part of the 3rd Jesuit mission in Baja 'San Juan Bautista de Ligui y Malibat' that was pretty well destroyed by flash floods which widened the arroyo about 5 years ago.

The locals blamed the highway construction, however this 300 year old site was near this large arroyo and the erosion finally reached the mission ruins, of which only a floor and foundation could be seen previously. A tree had been growing out of the floor, as seen in earlier photos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.