Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Il Duce, Tripui & Puerto Escondido
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

cool.gif posted on 12-20-2005 at 05:24 PM
Il Duce, Tripui & Puerto Escondido

About 10 years ago we rented a palapa trailer space in Tripui (south of Loreto) which came with a boat and a very poorly running Jeep Cherokee.

We met an older Italian man who must have been in his 80s. We met him as he was taking his boat out of the water at Puerto Escondido. He was used to fishing alone and his wife wanted us to go with him the next day so that there would be someone with him. He had a 14 foot or so fiberglass boat with a fairly flat bottom and a fairly large motor. Went with him.

While we were out fishing near Isla Carmen he showed us his picture when he was in the Italian Army fighting in Ethiopia. He kept telling us that Benito Mussolini got a bad rap and that he was great for Italy. So here we are miles off shore and we start to worry.

The sea starts getting rough, we have no fish and later find out that we were fishing in 600 feet of water, no wonder we never hit bottom. We head back, petal to the metal. We hit the back of a couple of swells and my friend and I go flying forward but are not hurt, but he does not slow down.

The sea settles down and we have smooth sailing. He then blurts out "Where's the port?" I think he is joking, but he repeats himself. Here we are, first timers to Loreto, giving directions, no wonder his wife wanted someone to go with him. I point to behind us to the northwest and point out the hidden port, he whips the boat around, we nearly fall out, but are at least headed in the right direction.

I can't remember his name, so we just referred to him as Il Duce.

Anyone remember that man? He claimed to be the California record holder for a marlin he caught off Catalina in the 60s.:D:D

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2005 at 06:43 PM

Good story. Did you go out with him again? At 80 I'm sure he just had a slight memory lapse coming back in, probably why his wife wanted you along.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 08:53 AM
no, I only went once

but now I know why it's called Puerto Escondido:D

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 08:40 PM

' the hidden port '

martin

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.