BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: AAA Insurance in Baja???
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 11:29 AM

In 1988 my son rolled his 1 month old Toyota pickup near San Luis. The insurance was purchased from Padilla in Calexico. I did all the leg work and got all the papers signed, sealed and delivered with the excellent help from a lady named Lucy at the insurance office in Mexicali. Insurance paid the full value of the truck minus $100. They paid $8,000. Everyone was easy to deal with except the Federales. Both the one in San Luis, he acted like it was a rub to do it. The head of the Federales in Mexicali required $220 to expedite the paper work. $200 for him and $20 for his assistant, Paco. I paid the the $220 and Paco typed up the document in about 5-10 minutes and I was on my way. The head of the Federales would only discuss the matter in spanish so I had a friend of mine with me to speak to him.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-24-2005 at 01:41 PM

That's where the Legal coverage comes in to play. They supply a "lawyer" that speaks spanish and knows the system.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2005 at 09:17 AM

We have all our vehicles insured in the U.S. A. through AAA. They informed me that we are covered all over Mexico except for liability, so we just purchase liability coverage when we go south of the border.
Bob H
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2005 at 12:09 PM

In 1995 I was involved in a wreck at La Rumorosa. Two young couples from Mexicali ran off the hwy into the snow at the top of the grade across from the toll gate, this was when the down side was still two ways. Anyway he goes off then comes back on and overshoots, I quickly whip to my right to keep from getting hit but he slides all along my left side. Hwy patrol there in no time. The kids in the car came running up to see if we were OK which we were, so nobody was hurt. I had insurance thru Discover Baja and everything was covered. Whether their insurance paid or not I don't know, that was handled by the insurance company. My only regret is that I let the insurance company handle it, but I should have insisted that I have City Chevrolet do the repairs. I moved to Texas when I got the truck back and later a lot of things had to be redone at my expense. At the time I asked about City doing it and they said if City was higher than their estimate ($6500) I would have to pay the difference, which I should have. By the way it was repaired in San Diego at a shop off the 15 south of I8, Tony's Autobody or something like that.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2005 at 12:11 PM

Bob that's a good point. I have Allstate and at the time I think they would have probably paid the difference. Oh well live and learn.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-25-2005 at 12:39 PM

Had friend here in La Paz get into an accident Fri. night, with Mexican vehicle put 3 of them into hosp. friend OK except in the jail, Had been drinking they gave him a Breathalyzer test flunked, had insurance when insurance co. found out that he had been drinking no help whatsoever, had to come up with his own bail money considerable amount. will post when know I more. Had to pay $17,000 us dollar that he will not get back, he was hit in the side by 2 teen age boys driving 2006 Murano. one still in Hosp.

[Edited on 12-25-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2005 at 12:40 PM
Insurance

Had Fxxxxx's in the early 90's and was assured that my coverage was fine in all of Baja. Officially it was only supposed to be good for 75 miles below the border, but the agent said not to worry, they would cover the whole peninsula.

Got rear ended in SJC and called the agent. He said that he was real sorry to hear I'd had an accident. That's all the help I ever got.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.