Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Info on the new Soriana's Department store in La Paz
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2002 at 10:34 PM
Info on the new Soriana's Department store in La Paz

It even has a 15plex movie theatre. I bet the locals are jumping for joy. The downtown theatre is one of the skankiest movie houses I've ever been in and the only other theatre in town only has two screens. If any of you think the McDonalds is a threat to Paceno culture, hold on to your britches!-Stephanie

http://www.gringogazette.com/southern/november18_2002/page11...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-20-2002 at 04:28 PM
New Mall & Sorianas

I heard a friend of a friend tried to go to Soriana's last Sunday and it was too much of a zoo to park, etc., too crowded so they didn't bother. It will be interesting to see, but I think I won't attempt to go until after Christmas and never on a Sunday!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2002 at 10:00 PM

Good thinking. In the Gazette article it said the parking is insane right now, but there's hope. They're in the process of building a parking garage. If it gets completed according to schedule, it'll be ready in 2 months.

I've had emails from 3 friends with news that Soriana's is in town. This is definitely the biggest thing to hit La Paz in a while as far as the locals are concerned. Maybe they'll at least be able to find a decent quality set of bed sheets there now without having to hop a plane to San Diego!-Stephanie
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2002 at 12:40 AM
Re

Jeff,

Maybe you should run for the hills, we have 5 multiplexes already, and they all sell Junior mints, capuchinos, and candy popcorn.

Take care:)

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-21-2002 at 08:47 AM
location of Soriana's for Jeff10370

Jeff, you asked the location of the new mall and theater complex. It's Forjadores and Colossio (which now is a major arterial-it didn't go all the way thru from Abasolo to Forjadores in 1995, so it's WAY different!) This is out where Mex 1 goes to Cabo and the cutoff for Los Planes.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2002 at 09:26 AM

More specifally, it is on the site of the former police academy near the end of the old runway. I wondered why two Pemex stations were constructed within a block of each other across the street. Now I know!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2002 at 10:54 AM

Oh, cool. I thought it was in Fidepaz. But Forjadores and Colosio is a much more accessible location. - Stephanie
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2002 at 09:16 PM
I just shopped there, my report

The parking lot is huge and lots of cars go whizzing around you. But, they have hired "parking attendants" in sombreros to help you find a space, get parked, and later, get backed out while others are doing the dance to get into the space you are vacating. The inside is huge ,also. About the floor sf size of say 2 CostCos put together. The first thing that dulls your senses is the extreme high volume of the 14 stereos blasting at you from all sides. Each department has one going full blast , trying to out blast the other dept. Cheese dept vs meat dept. Really hard to concentrate, think what you are in there for, read your shopping list, etc. Your first reaction is to say, "let's get the hell outta here". But we didn't. There prices are a little cheaper than Ley, the last store to open. Not a place to find the popular American items you can find in other stores. The crowds, pushing, parking in the aisles, blatant rudeness, grab and take, were all present, and will be until the "newness" wears off. They have 50 check out counters, but only about 1/3 was open, even for this huge crowd. They take the VISA card, and their electronics work instantly. My last comment as we were leaving was, "if it is this crowded with shoppers, could the other stores in town, also be crowded??". Well, we then went over to Ley's and they were almost empty!! Then we went to our long time favorite CCC on Isabel Catolica, and also this store was also almost empty!! What a nice time shopping at CCC w/o any normal bumping, going around parked carts where 2 senoras were talking and blocking the aisle, which is the norm. Also CCC's prices are not much more than a few pesos a shopping cart full vs the other stores. And they have TURKEY, where the others didn't.
So, that's my analysis. I do think that the competition will also make the other stores keep pricing lower. I do think that once the "newness", wears off, that Soriana's will have a really tough time paying for all the employees that I saw working. Only time will tell, and I will shop there again, maybe.

Saludos, mc
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-22-2002 at 09:29 PM

Mr Chuck is right, this is a great time to shop CCC and Ley (Ley always had the best veggie dept anyway). The competion is great and I am sure it will lower prices for everyone everywhere. It's about time that the two majior supermarket dept store families are ousted from their monopoly. La Paz is a great city..... probably the greatest metropolitain area on the baja penninsula. Enjoy it while it lasts.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
roadtrekgal

[*] posted on 12-12-2002 at 03:18 PM
New Dept Store in La Paz

And you think La Paz has changed in a few years....
Try my last visit in 1961. Took the kids to the old movie house and saw Tarzan in Spanish.
Took lessons and went Scba Diving off Dick Adc-cks converted landing craft out by the islands....Then my husband went Marlin Fishing and caught a huge one...
I am going to drive a camping van down there next year... will I ever be blown away. talk about dept stores and Parking lots..... It will be quite a strange feeling. La Paz was just a sleepy little town.: :o

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.