Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Letter to the Editor S.D. Union Tribune
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 11:00 AM
Letter to the Editor S.D. Union Tribune

Ruben Navarrette Jr.

I normally look forward to your opinions and find them to be, in most cases, fairly objective and informative. But in your piece ?Where Americans behave badly? you have distressed me greatly.

I have been a guest of the Mexican People in their beautiful country since 1964, I believe before you were born, and when you refer to the ?purists' in Mexico by saying that when people come to a foreign country, they ought to make an effort to blend in, speak the language and respect cultural norms they are acting as hypocrites.

No where in Mexico can an American go and be allowed to seek medical treatment for free. Nor will they be released from the clinic or hospital until they pay their bill in full. Nor may they go to a government agency and expect anyone to speak English when they are seeking help from their hosts?most refuse to do even if they speak our language. Mordida does seem to help but I have never seen it change government documents into English nor have I seen them provide interpreters for those facing Mexican courts. Nor will their children be taught in Mexican schools in English--nor should they! Nor may we work without special permission and we sure can't collect unemployment payments.

It was interesting to me that you harked back to the bad behavior of the United States invading Mexico over 160 years ago. I basically agree that it probably should not have happened but it is about time that the Mexican people realize that it is ancient history and quit using it as an excuse for everything that is wrong between our countries.

Yes, Mexicans should try to fit in when they come to live as unwelcome guests in America. They should learn to speak the language and they should respect the cultural norms. They should be forced to pay their medical bills before they are released from the hospitals as happens to Americans. I have never heard of a rich American seeking medical treatment in Mexico and then refusing to pay as have many wealthy Mexicans do after they travel to America to receive treatment. It seems that they believe that free medical treatment in America is one of their basic rights?they know that is not so at home.

No! I was not an illegal alien in Mexico. I followed the laws, paid for my FM-3?s and got by very well with my poor Spanish because the common Mexican is one of the most friendly and understanding person in the world?just like the average American is when the rich politicians and the media hypes do not enter into the conversation.

After 50 years of watching Mexican politics I can assure that I could go on and on but for what purpose?

Let?s just work to enjoy each others strong suits and forgive the minor faults on both sides. Both peoples have so much to offer each other.

Bernie Swaim

bernie@mibaja.com

Somehow, I doubt that they will print this.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 12:02 PM

Reference:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/op-ed/navarrette/20060108...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.