BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I'm lazy- somebody plan my baja trip please!
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 02:27 PM
I'm lazy- somebody plan my baja trip please!

Okay, I'm not (that) lazy and can plan my own trip. That said I haven't tried out that many motels and I've not been south of Mulege (yet).

Trip will be me, the wife, and the 3 and 5 year old tots. Main point is to see the whales and enjoy the Baja culture. Two or three weeks. Prefer to keep driving days fairly short. Motel for one-night stands, camp for longer stops. Time will be latter part of March.

So far I'm thinking something like this for a 16 day trip:
Sat Long Beach-Ensenada, 200mi hotel
Sun Ensenada-El Rosario, 153mi motel behind mama's
Mon El Rosario-Guerrero Negro, 222mi something cheaper than malarrimo
Tue Guerrero Negro-Laguna San Ignacio, 125mi Camp Kuyima
Wed - Fri Laguna San Ignacio

Sat Laguna San Ignacio-Santa Rosalia, 80mi Old B&B by the museum up on the hill.
Sun Santa Rosalia-Bahia Concepcion, 75mi Camp
Mon - Wed Bahia Concepcion

Thu Bahia Concepcion-Guerrero Negro, 210mi motel
Fri Guerrero Negro-El Rosario, 222mi motel behind mama's
Sat El Rosario-Rosarito, 209mi ??
Sun Rosarito-home, 135mi Own Bed

What think y'all? Motel suggestion Ensenada or Rosarito? Which place to camp with two little tykes at Bahia Concepcion?

I wanted to bring our folding trailer, but the wife suggested that the miles will go by quicker if we combine motels with tent camping- plus once was enough towing the trailer to Laguna San Ignacio. Driving a Subaru.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 03:02 PM

At El Rosario, stay in the BajaCactus Motel alongside the Pemex station.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 03:51 PM
Well,

when the wife and I do a combo motel/camping trip, we always separate the hotel days with camping days. You are bunching lots of motel days.

Personally, I would not stay in a motel in ER after having stayed in one in Ensenada. The drive between the two is quick, the beach camping area west of ER is beautiful and close.

Some have mentioned MOtel Don Gus as a good inexpensive alternative to the Malarrimo. Or, you could pitch a quick tent in the Malarrimo compound and use their shower facilities for 12.00/night since you are leaving the next day anyway.

Where you gonna stay at Concepcion?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 05:49 PM

IMO, I think you can get to El Rosario the first day. Stay at Baja Cactus. Then go to Bahia de Los Angeles. The road is paved all the way, and it is a nice stop before Guerrero Negro. Spend a couple days there - either tent or motel. Try Camp Gecko - they have kitchenettes - south of town 5 mi. Then on to Guerrero Negro - drive to the whale watching spot, and camp. Next, San Ignacio. 3 nights at Laguna SI? Going out on a boat each day? Might get a little pricey for 4 people - and if you've had friendlies for two days, you might be done with whales there. Spend a night in Mulege - hotel and restaurants. Check out Serenidad and then possibly Las Casitas. If it's a Saturday night, see if the La Serenidad is having a pig roast and go to that. Maybe get a boat to take you a bit north for snorkling. Or stay at Los Naranjos south of Mulege to camp. Then Bahia Conception. I'd skip an overnighter in Santa Rosalia - but have lunch and check out the museum at the hotel on the hill - maybe pick up some groceries there. Next, Bahia Conception. 3 days there isn't too much. You're in Baja time now. Then start heading back - stop at Mission San Borja, and spend the night there, then you can make the rest of the trip all the way back if you want, or stop at one of the wineries in Guadalupe Valley overnight or at the RV park in the general area. There is now a Kumeyaay cultural center a bit beyond the LA Cetto winery which supposedly has camping. Actually, I'm going to check it out this weekend, and I could report back.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:07 PM

Wilderone has a great idea for you... I might add that you check my recently made list of side trips from various Baja destinations here on Nomad General Discussion... click here to see that: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=15032

Mostly listed are side trips in Northern Baja, but several from El Rosario and L.A. Bay you can see easily... Most do not require 4WD.

Baja time means no watches or tight schedules! Have some general ideas what you want to see, but don't leave a good thing for an unknown if you are enjoying yourselves.

The food everywhere is great... Very inexpensive at most places and cheap at the taco stands. Kids will love fish tacos or carne asada tacos. A 'quesa taco' is a carne (beef) taco with chesse... kids love em.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:49 PM
Plan for Mr. Lazy

Drive down South of Rosarito and get a hotel room next to the Nueva York Deli.

Eat breakfast/lunch and purchase cold cuts for dinner.

Repeat for 16 days.

Drive home.

(Leave kids in room.)

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 07:17 PM

JimQPublic,
You would never know that Dave own's the finest deli in Baja California, along the free road to Ensenada... just a stone's throw south of the Puerto Nuevo lobster village entrance, from his post just above... :light::rolleyes::spingrin: right????:saint:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 08:15 PM

We did a trip kind of like yours only with more camping and less motels/hotels. Our children were 2 (birthday #2 was on a beach somwhere south of Mulege) and 6. They loved it. We had no plans, just several weeks of baja time.
DK has made a good point about camping vs rooms-If only for the night a room is much better.
We would usually camp 3 to 5 days for every 1 in a hotel. The exception was several days spent in rooms in the Cabo area.
So my advice would be just go with what is comfortable and make a point to have your list of your must do/see items and make time for them. All to soon it will be time to go and you missed out on the whales/canyon/fishing or area that you wanted to see.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 10:28 PM

http://ignaciosprings.com/

Great place, be sure to feed the fish.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 11:04 PM
Word on the calle is that.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Drive down South of Rosarito and get a hotel room next to the Nueva York Deli.

Eat breakfast/lunch and purchase cold cuts for dinner.

Repeat for 16 days.

Drive home.

(Leave kids in room.)

in Obrador's first day in office, he plans on nationalizing all the P-nche gringo delis in Mexico.

So, get there soon........

[Edited on 1-11-2006 by Hook]
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 08:26 AM

I would do the whale watching at Guerrero Negro rather than Laguna San Ignacio. The road out to Laguna SI is 36 miles, most of it 10 mph or less due to the washboard. I doubt it would be pleasant for the children, not to mention the wear & tear on your vehicle.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
in Obrador's first day in office, he plans on nationalizing all the P-nche gringo delis in Mexico.

So, get there soon........

By the time Obrador is elected I will no longer be a P-nche gringo.

I'll be a P-nche Pocho Mexicano. ;)

jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 02:10 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Itenerary and side trips have to appeal to the wife and tots as well as me. Wife likes motels with hot showers. I provide hot showers camping but she still prefers motels. Kids don't like museums and other BORING stuff so that sort gets spread out. DVD player in the car helps with long drives. Good point about three days motelling in a row. If I can get everybody out of bed at home very early then I like the idea of making at least San Quintin instead of Ensenada.

I understand the comments about the road to Laguna San Ignacio. We towed a brand new camping trailer there in 2002 and between that road and the potholes on the LA Bay road we had: Trailer body separated from frame; 3-way fridge sealed unit cracked and vented all ammonia; Both leaf springs on trailer broke. Hence we're tent camping this time and bringing the old car, not the new one.

Anyway- Laguna San Ignacio. It's just too beautiful to miss. The kids will love wandering out on the tidal flats. I love the birds & whales - see and hear them from shore. I'm thinking we'll all go out whale watching once or twice.

Hotel Frances was the place I'm thinking about in Santa Rosalia.

Camping at Bahia Concepcion. Where do you folks suggest? Good beach for 3 and 5 year olds. Taco shack nearby. Not wall-to-wall RV's but on the other hand I want to be able to leave camp for day trips and not have stuff all swiped while we're out. I certainly don't mind company, it's just when we're tent camping we prefer not feeling like we're in an RV lot. Also I'm quite willing to tip someone to watch my stuff. The Subaru can navigate soft and/or bumpy terrain pretty well considering it is just a car.

Even if the itenerary is planned for two weeks I will schedule three weeks off work. I want time cushion in the trip just in case it's windy or we find something not to be missed or it's just too hard climbing out of the hammock to drive home.

All your ideas are appreciated.

Jim

[Edited on 1-11-2006 by jimqpublic]

Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 02:29 PM

I second the motion with David T
http://ignaciosprings.com/
if you will be staying in San Ignacio, stay in a yurt! It is very cool!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 02:43 PM
Hotel Frances

I have never stayed there but I thought the rooms overpriced, very small, and musty smelling. I looked at two. But I wouldn't hesitate have a cool beverage there and walking the grounds and looking at the stuff on the walls.

Other options are Brenda's Casitas (very nice, around 60/night and the further south El Morro (about 40/night).

DEFINITELY hit Playas Negras Restaurant on the water in S.R. It's on the transpeninsular hwy. across the street from the large auto parts place. Very close to the original Pemex in town.

Check out Playa Perla along Concepcion, for the tent-friendly, not-so-RV-friendly beach. I expect that Santispac and Coyote will be thick with snowbirds in diesel pushers.

Get the kids going the first day and drive all the way to Gypsy's Beach Camp near the Cielito Lindo, just south of San Quintin. You could actually pitch the tent in the dunes and use the facilities or just stay in their compound. GREAT BEACH!! If the sun is shining, stay an extra day and enjoy the beach. Good shower complex at Gypsy's and cheap eats at the Wet Buzzard.
OMAR.V

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 04:13 PM

If you're planning to come to Baja late March please avoid the "good Friday" weekend or if possible the entire week (I'm not sure if that is how it's called in english).
That is the single time where all of us mexican people take our bags and go on vacation at the same time. All popular places like Bahia concepcion and BOLA will be hell, I've been there during that time and hated it. There will be loud music all night long even on the Concepcion beaches so forget about camping and all hotels will be full.
The peace that you probably are looking for it's just gone, no Baja charm.

I just don't want you to have a bad experience in a place where you should fall in love in your first visit.

Have a great trip.

[Edited on 1-11-2006 by OMAR.V]
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 04:41 PM

Thanks Omar. Definitely not my first trip, but they haven't been often enough (6 in 10 years) or long enough. Plus the prospect of camping alongside other families with small kids almost makes me want to be there during the local school holidays. I have checked though and it looks like March 20-21 and April 10-21 are school holidays. We'll be home by the end of March.

When it all comes down to it, after the first day the plan usually goes out the window anyways.

[Edited on 1-11-2006 by jimqpublic]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:23 PM

Good thing you've planned a cusion of time there as I always want/need/use it.

Went to Cabo once - 3 days down (from San Felipe) 7 days in timeshare with friends and 13 days back - "What do you think Honey, one more day?"

Took a weeks buggy trip to Malarimo Beach/Baiha Totruga and got home on the 14th day.

That's Baja

:rolleyes: :saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.