Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Don't laugh JR
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 08:39 PM
Don't laugh JR

Well my friends I am here to ask you to put your money where your mouths are.
Most of you remember that I told JR that I was going to write a story about him for my next book and that he made one of his usual pointed remarks about it being about JR as seen by Baja Bernie. I guess that is true because he is in no position to correct anything that I write.
I am hoping that most of your regulars will provide me with wee little stories of your interaction with JR or story?s that you have heard about him. Even you lurkers can chime in on what you thought of the guy and how he may have impacted you in reading his posts.
JR and I shared more things than those minor things we argued about but we are/were proud men so when we disagreed it was a head thumping disagreement. I know a bunch of you had some rather harsh things to say to him before he left to joust with the angels or did he end up trying to put out the fires down there. After we realized that he was gone then we suddenly realized just how much we wanted him here!
That does not really matter because we all took a bunch of steps back and re-evaluated what JR had to say, what he meant, and how he impacted each of us. I even ask the ?chicken coopers? whoever they may be to come forward with their take on this guy.
If you make comment realize that I may be using what you say in a book and that I really wish to paint a true picture of a guy who worked very hard to never give any of us a real photograph of himself.
I have no interest in making anyone look the fool, except, perhaps me. So rest easy and let the words flow.
Someone asked if there would be another JR and I think that I can tell you?Not as JR would have said?but collectively we can draw a pretty good bead on what he really did in life and what he ?tried? to accomplish in his last years.

Here is my basic take on JR and it is taken from one of the pictures that he posted?someplace. It was a shot by him looking out of a cave and over a very lush valley with a river wandering down below. No people to mess up the scene and the perspective was perfect as were most of his pictures?perhaps the same may never be said of his take on life.
Please send your comments or stories to bernie@mibaja.com
Gracias! For all of the Baja folks who will follow us.
Tu Amigo,
Bernie

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 10:59 PM

Nice idea Bernie... You are welcome to the photos I have taken of JR...

Every time we were together in person, it was always pleasant and he expressed a sincere love for Baja and the people who lived off the beaten track on the peninsula.

Behind a keyboard, JR was often a very different person... But, he sure loved BajaNomad.com and didn't hesitate to express himself here!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:18 AM
David

Thank you and I will take you up on your offer to use the pictures.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:20 AM

Bernie, next time I am in your neigborhood let's get togther (Mimi's Cafe?)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:59 AM
DAvid

Just give me a jingle.

Bajagrande

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 06:30 PM

In Memory of JR , A return to Adams Family Values.

Remember when we all first started to see these images, always well placed, I miss you Amigo.

Salutos.

Rene D

DDurrell

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:55 PM

Bernie. I just sent you an email with a few stories. enjoy
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 11:07 AM
JR Encounter

I havent posted here in a long time because being as young as I am (23), I have been away from my home of San Diego in Hawaii. About 1 year ago i asiisted in a few posts concerning ************ plee to make me purchase one of their own fishing liscenses while fishing with them when I already had my own year long mexican fishing liscene. JR was right there by my side but I had never met him. Another series of posts was to conserve the capture of grouper that **** was letting his customers shoot while spearfishing in the enchanted isles. Jr was right by my side once again. Both posts made an impact on certain decisions ********************* and I was happy that this man, who I had never met and everyone seemed to have a problem with, was so helpful.
Last june while visiting Rancho leonero, I decided to head into Los barilles to the kareoke bar for a drink. The place was packed and I decided to head to the bar to get a drink. As i approached the crowded bar, A man with a Ranchers hat who reminded me of the Narrator from The Big Lebowski film said to me, "Hey man, theres some room right here to get a drink". I spoke to him about his Bamboo Farm in the mountains and his beautiful wife who was in Rosarito and how he missed her. Soon we realized who we were on the bajanomad messageboard. JR bought me a shot of tequila and a Pacifico and explained that my dream of building a home on the east cape some day was completely possible and that all I had to do was be patient and work hard. Jr kindly invited me to come check out his bamboo farm and I left.
That was the one and only encounter I has with JR but he showed me that I can be and do anything I want to, and his kindness and generosity made me love Baja even more.

Thanks JR, I cant imagine how incredible the Baja God created in heaven for you is!

Ethan S.

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by BajaNomad]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 11:50 PM
OK, I'll chime in

I forget exactly what exchange I had going with JR,
but, when I referred to myself as a "former hottie", he replied, "Once a hottie, always a hottie."

In my opinion, he should have a memorial somewhere overlooking the ocean, with a complement of guardians; two or more Baja surfer types holding their surfboards at attention and, along with that, a representation of the three graces, holding hands in a circle and dancing.

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 12:35 AM
I'm not much of a dancer but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
and, along with that, a representation of the three graces, holding hands in a circle and dancing.

If you can find two girls named Grace I'll volunteer to fill out the circle.

(E mail pictures) :biggrin:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 08:14 AM

My name isn't grace but I'll dance in my purple tennies. JR liked to kid me about those.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 12:14 PM

What a photo op. Gypsy Jan, Lera and Dave in drag.
Three Graces indeed.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.