Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Those darn tamales
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 01:56 PM
Those darn tamales

Sure are good. I certainly have had my share. In past years I have been reluctant to sample just anyones, tamale. I suppose it may be the luck of the draw when it comes to not getting sick or some kinda bug when sampling prepared food on the side of the road. A food handlers methodology becomes paramount when serving prepared high protein foods.
Chicken is notorius for harboring bacteria and disease. Salmonella , campo and a host of others. The problem may well lie in the cooking process. Chicken must be cooked to a min 165 F. Because chicken (meat) cooks rapidly it's probable that the meat next to the bones never got to temp.
With that in mind, remember that hot foods must be held at 140F and above. Faliure to do this may lead to serious illness. ALL perishables with the exception of produce should be kept at 40F or below. Refrigeration immediately after cooking is standard procedure in the U.S. but hardly at a clam soup table in San Quintin.
Beef on the other hand usually does not harbor salmomella and the minimum high temp is lower at 145F-155F depending on the cut. Cooking old beef properly usually kills harmful organisms but the meat may taste fowl:lol:
Fish cooks the fastest and is safer in my book. This is because when fish goes "off" everyone knows it. Not always evident with chicken although many folks will cook smelly chicken anyway.

Dk got sick from bad clams. This could be some of the worst food borne poisoning events common in mexico. Clams will appear ok in some circumstances but beware if the shell remains closed upon cooking.
Typically, all shellfish will open when heated but not always.The clam goes bad fast with out life. Same with shrimp but their color and associated ammonia odor will alert you fast.
Poisons are not neutralized by reheating, meaning that just because a prepared food is hot doesn't mean it's free of harmful bacteria.

Normally food poisoniong occurs two to six hours after ingestion. Seek medical attention or be prepared with medication. Selecting a busy place to eat normally assures a fresher product. Do be careful please. It CAN kill you.

So I agree, watch the shellfish and chicken. Watch rural vegetables also. Wash thoroughly with a light bleach 3-5% solution and rinse prior to eating raw produce if in doubt. Safer produce has a skin to remove. Lettuce is the biggest threat in Baja.

[Edited on 1-15-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 01:59 PM

Lettuce and cabbage

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 02:02 PM

excellent post sharks...

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 05:03 PM

As for me... I stopped eating ANYTHING that I didn't bring with me....and do not worry about these things anymore.....:)
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 07:42 PM
the food...

is one of the things I love about baja,especially the seafood...but I dont frequent too many roadside taco stands, I have to say the few I have tried have been very good especially that little place next to the tienda in puertecitos...I think some of the best tacos I have ever eaten have come out of there and the cooks pretty friendly too

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2006 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Lettuce is the biggest threat in Baja.

Well, it's certainly close to the top of the list. :lol:

The biggest 'threat' is the total lack of education in and enforcement of food handling.

Although I'd welcome one, I've never seen an inspector nor have I ever heard of any of my fellow restaurateurs being inspected. (And this is for legal licensed operators, most roadside stands aren't.)

But it extends even further:

Purveyors delivering or stores that carry past dated product; spoiled eggs, soured milk, rotten produce, rancid meats, resealed containers of mayo, etc. I used to see it all the time so I assume someone's buying this stuff.

Although it's a crapshoot, I occasionally eat at the stands. Two reasons I haven't gotten sick are pure luck and a strong constitution. :biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
is one of the things I love about baja,especially the seafood...but I dont frequent too many roadside taco stands, I have to say the few I have tried have been very good especially that little place next to the tienda in puertecitos...I think some of the best tacos I have ever eaten have come out of there and the cooks pretty friendly too

He has really good beef birria too... That's where Baja Angel had her first birria a year ago. Notice the Viva Baja sticker on the inside of his door? I gave that to him a year earlier when my kids and I ate there, on our way to Gonzaga or L.A. Bay.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

postman

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 01:00 PM

What is the use of traveling if you don't sample the local foods? just take care.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Sure are good. I certainly have had my share. In past years I have been reluctant to sample just anyones, tamale. I suppose it may be the luck of the draw when it comes to not getting sick or some kinda bug when sampling prepared food on the side of the road.

For what it's worth, I consider the tamal about the safest street food one can buy. It's cooked right in the wrapper, the undisturbed wrapper is a pretty good seal, and it peels off leaving the (hopefully) sterilized contents ready to eat. I'm leery of pork tamales from unknown vendors, but otherwise it's a handy and sanitary meal to go. :>

--Larry

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.