Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: RV Caravans
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 02:34 PM

I talked to one of the caravaners the other day at Ray's Santispac cafe. He had a tow vehicle I was interested in and we also talked at some length about his experience with the caravan. He said the cost was $450 from San Diego to Cabo..all camp spots included and other goodies. He and his wife were fairly typical of this group of 15. First time to Baja and thought the money was well spent to get to know the customs, road conditions, laws, and best areas. He was a retired 49ner who had hauled 30 years for Consolidated Freightways...a 'corn flakes' if any know the trucker terminology. He said that after the group gets to Cabo, they will go off on their own. I know from others that this is the norm rather than the exception. While certainly some are afraid of the Hollywood hype about Baja and Mexico, I really don't think the majority of people who drive these rigs require a sense of security. It is not a job for timid people and the ones I have met have been solid, self-confident ladies and gentlemen. The very act of wanting to get off on an adventure seems to me to make them Nomads in a very real hands-on way. Makes me very eager to get out and RV this coming spring-summer.

We have met caravaners in groups from a half dozen to 100. Plus one camper rally numbering over 5000 in Manitoba a few years ago for Airstreamers. We had an Airstreamer then for camping/fishing in the beautiful lake areas of Manitoba and all these trailers were whizzing by, calling us on the CB to come join them! We were on a quest to the wilderness, though and passed up the invitation. We have also seen large caravaner groups in the Australia outback. They all seem to have a ball.

Some of the custom coaches run to a half-million dollars or more, so they are usually pretty well maintained. The bulletproof, fulltime plush 5th Wheels are $100K plus with new powerful tow vehicles. Makes them a little safer than most trucks plying the Baja Road today..and certainly much, much safer than the old cattle-killing trucks of yesteryear.

YO ho-ho..the wind blows free....OH, for the life on the open sea!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 07:09 AM

Pompano: Santispac is one of the places they use for overnight (the cove on the esturary south) funny though, their "wagon master" forgot to check the full moon and one morning they woke up to 1 to 2 feet of water under their rigs. :O :lol: They all had a sense of humor about it though. RV's are really a great bunch of people.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 07:27 AM

That has happened to us all at one time or another, I reckon. I recall a few of us campers pulling onto the flatlands late one night near the rio at Magdalena Bay and waking up to a lake under us...it was actually kind of cool. Like being on a cruise. We splashed around and enjoyed the moment.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.