Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Book Signing in San Felipe
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 02:04 PM
Book Signing in San Felipe

Just talked to Cat, owner of the San Felipe Title Company, a bookstore in San Felipe and was informed Mike Humfreville will be here next Saturday, Jan 28 at 2pm to sign copies of his new book. Anyone Nomads in the area, stop by and meet Mike.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 05:11 PM

Lou,
I just read the last line in your signature.

"And I obviously don't have a TV so I can be online all the time."

I still live north. I have all the trick stuff, Elect power, Natural gas, telephone, internet connection. and TV reception.

I like the idea that you are online most all the time. I have so many questions and you always have answers or know where to send me to get the answers.

I will gladly bring you all my TV's. I very seldom watch what the people that run the stations are trying to feed the general public!!!

Let me know??

Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 07:27 PM

Thanks for the offer Corky, but I'll decline your generosity - I actually do have a 13" TV but no satellite feeds so haven't turned it on since 2003. The VCR I got didn't like modified sine wave so haven' tried that since 1999. I went to my first movie in about 8 years last fall - Dust to Glory in El Centro. My computer will play DVDs but don't have any (or want any).

Guess I'll just stay online with the Telnor DSL and GoogleEarth and my maping programs. Oh, yes, and maybe a run thru the desert from time to time.

Come on down anytime Corky, be good to see you again.

:cool:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 08:30 AM

Well as planned Jan 28th came and went and Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville were in San felipe and attended the book signing for "In the Shadow of the Volcano".

To show how small a world Nomads travel in, Mike and I were talking about San Felipe and he realized he had been to my place several years ago with El Camote.

:o

No Bad Days

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 08:41 AM

Cool...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 11:08 AM
whats the easiest...

way to get a hold a copy of Mikes book?

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 08:54 AM

In San Felipe - stop at the San Felipe Title Company - great bookstore. It's upstairs next to Baja Java coffee shop and the Blue Roadrunner internet place the one way block of Chetemal between Mar De Cortez and the Malecon. Big selection of Baja related books as well as a lot of other types of books - new and used.

No Bad Days

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 09:54 AM

I have to comment here.....

Grab yourself a copy anyway you can, "beg, borrow or steal!" Great read, perhaps I'm a bit biased? (don't think so)

But, I do have to put out a disclaimer. Knowing the author as well as I feel I do, spending time with him and his family on Baja trips as well as his opening his Northern (and Baja) home to Brendan and I as a B & B, bailing myself and my children out of ugly situations on more than one occasion, and Mary Ann being my 'sester' (we had a Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell sing along on the way back from my northern home)......He had me from page one, even as he writes about Mike and Kevin as young boys, I see them as the young men they are today, amazing how little they have changed in their personalities, I really have to say, I felt I was somehow with them on their early trips. Kudos Mike!

Anyway, someone asked where is the best place to buy the book. Unless you aren't financally challenged like me.....I'd find a book store to avoid the $8 shipping fee that I was charged. :O
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:14 AM

I just bought Mike's book from Amazon. Here is their review:

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
In the early 1970s, Michael Humfreville and his wife left their surburban home and their jobs at NASA?s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and headed to Baja California?s Bahia de los Angeles. Living in a tiny hut they constructed on a remote beach, they bonded with each and the special place they?d found. In 1985 they did it again, taking their boys, aged 6 and 8, and living in another beachside hut on the shore of the bay. The family?s experiences are related in simple but evocative prose by the author, who had spent years traveling in Baja California, and reads like a modern-day castaway story?full of adventure and struggle, but with the warmth and humor of a loving family working together on a shared dream.

From the Inside Flap
Fascinating and inspiring, In The Shadow of the Volcano will appeal to anyone who has ever dreamed of removing themselves and their loved ones from the pressures and routines of modern life and returning to a simpler and more elemental existence, an existence that the wilds of Baja California provides in glorious abundance? Graham Mackintosh, Baja Expert, Author, and Lecturer
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:43 AM

Sunbelt is the publisher, and they have a web site to buy their books directly... It has been in my web site, linked under Baja Book Authors...

http://www.sunbeltbooks.com

Here is the link to Mike's book: http://www.sunbeltbooks.com/store_article.cfm?articleid=1455...

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 11:03 AM

$8USD for shipping.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 11:05 AM

Buy more books and the shipping is free, no?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.