BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insurance questions, por favor
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:54 PM
Insurance questions, por favor

Seeking mexico auto insurance advice. Google results in heaps of sources, I suppose there are good and bad, expensive and cheap, and cheap doesn't need to mean bad and vice versa.

Vehicle is an older F350, camper, boat trailer and boat. I want the legally required liability for truck and traielr first, and perhaps coverage for camper and boat depending on $$. Period will be for Feb and March. I'd like to purchase online or locally in AZ (Phoenix, Tucson, or Nogales).

Any particular recommendations or caveats will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 09:02 PM

can't beat lewis and lewis!!! online purchase and they will even let you get your rig repaired in the US (if it can drive or be towed across the border).:wow:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 09:39 PM

Had a friend yesterday on hold for 25 min then the message no one available to take your call when she tried to get Lewis & Lewis.

:rolleyes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 10:12 PM
I would hold out for Lewis and Lewis

Even if you couldn't get a policy until the last moment they will fax you a binder to take with you. You will probably find that buying a year's coverage will be less expensive than 60 individual days. I haven't had a claim, thank the Ford, but they have been very easy to deal with for years. My F-250 (87), with an older eight foot Lance I valued at $5500. I think my last annual premium was $167.00 with the "Parts Service" added in. When I needed the parts service I found that it was basically useless, I won't buy it next time.

Have fun, but more importantly, drive thoughtfully.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 10:38 PM

I've had Lewis and Lewis for 3 years and they have always been willing to take my money! Haven't filed a claim yet so can't personally vouch for pay out on damages. Of course they are a U.S. based insurance agent for a Mexican insurance company. Have heard good about accident response for claimants.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:32 AM

FeoSombrerro: make sure you get legal also (not required but very important). Lewis and Lewis represents Qualitas and their policies include legal coverage; I'm not sure of others. Do a search through this board back a few years and you'll see reports of people who had s and their experiences.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:49 AM

There are only two people in the office at Lewis & Lewis, sometimes they are hard to reach on the phone, just e-mail, they will get back to you, leave a fax #.

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:10 AM

I have Lewis and Lewis also, no claim yet, but the service and price have been quite good.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:33 AM

Uglyhat

On our Lewis & Lewis policy, the camper and utility trailers are listed under "trailers/other special accessories". I'm not sure you can "cover" your camper without getting comprehensive coverage for your truck too.

You can get your truck value from kelly blue book and then estimate the camper value, and see how their comprehensive coverage rates work out. Even if your truck is old, but you want to cover your camper, the cost might not be that different since they set the values in ranges:
Less than $5,000 Premium ..........$142
$5,001 - $9,999 Premium ..........$192
$10,000-$14,999 Premium ..........$220
$15,000-$19,999 Premium ..........$247
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:40 AM

I've used ADA-Vis Global (through Vagabundos Travel Club) and ACE-Seguros (Through Discover Baja travel club). Both are reputable companies and offer a variety of policies and options.

The Vags will give you a quote and fax you a binder but you can't get the policy on-line.

The Discover Baja website will give you an on-line estimate and you can buy the insurance on-line and print out the policy.

If you want to deal with a U.S. insurance broker that will actually answer the phone, then call Miller Insurance at 800-622-6347. They specialize in RV-Boat-Trailer-Travel type stuff and will research all the companies and give you the cheapest or whatever you are looking for.

[Edited on 1-22-2006 by turtleandtoad]

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:45 AM

I've used ADA-Vis Global for about 9 years (no claims) and been quite satisfied with the "getting the policy/binder" part.

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Uglyhat

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 10:49 AM

Lots of excellent advice folks, thank you very much. I perused the L&L website and think we'll try them first for the whole package.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 11:03 AM

You can do everything at their web-site. You don't have to wait on hold.

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Debra]
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 02:03 PM
insurance

i have always used oscar padilla and i am very happy with them. i had some problems with lewis & lewis.
http://www.mexicaninsurance.com/quoteMIQ.asp?wVehicleType=au...

Want what you have
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
You can do everything at their web-site. You don't have to wait on hold.

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Debra]

Kind of hard to get to the website from a phone booth without a computer.

No Bad Days

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.