Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Good shocks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
David ORW will sell and install them. Like Neal and Lou I think an added leaf is a good way to go. I believe that new trucks are designed for more of a good hwy ride instead of off road use. Another useless item is antilock brakes when off road. At least I can pull a fuse in my Z71.

Wow TW, you may have solved another issue I am having... the ABS system in my '01 worked fine all the time, the '05 doesn't like bumpy roads and when I brake, while bouncing on dirt it 'grawals' at me and the pedal feels like metal to metal! Very uncomfortable feeling, if you are not used to it.

The fellows at my dealership says that is normal ABS on dirt roads and there is plenty of brake pad still, so it wasn't metal to metal. I wonder why my '01 didn't do any of that? Is the Toyota as easy to disable the ABS system when I am off road, as the Chevy?

Thanks Glenn and Roberto for the kudos on the spring shop.. If Deaver is in Santa Ana, I will probably need to go to ORW in Escondido to keep it close... But, I will check them both out!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:03 AM

And here I was so excited about my new shocks and now you all have given me more to worry about.....What is all this about Anti lock brakes and leafs? What do I need to be concerned about? :?:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:27 AM

Debra, maybe nothing...

The only two issues I am having with my heavier 4 door Tacoma is the front brakes and the rear suspension...

The front brakes (when bouncing on dirt roads) act strangely compared to my previous Toyota in that they make a grawling noise and my pedar depresses all the way down...

I am told that is the ABS (Anti Lock Brakes), is working fine... IE since you are on a dirt road, the tires will always slide when they are braked... unlike on pavement... The ABS doesn't let tires lock up, so they try and not let you brake so hard as to cause the truck to slide.. Normally this is good on paved roads... On dirt, you get the sensation of the brakes failing, as you mash the pedal, and the tires still don't lock up.

Now, it feels strange in the foot pedal and the ABS 'motor' grawls when you brake suddonly on dirt... But, I never failed to stop.

The only other brake issue was the occaisional squeel or whistle coming from the front right brake area at highway speed... Seems some 'plate' got bent and created it... it rarely squeels anymore... But that was something Toyota didn't know how to fix. It began at 8,000 miles... maybe a rock hit something.

As for the suspension... This '05 is a bigger overall size truck than previous Tacomas, plus the double cab... and I have bottomed out the rear suspension a couple times... and not with a cargo load... just 4 people and a baby inside. I suspect it is the same suspension as the previous smaller Tacomas, and the additional weight plus my 'not so slow' driving will require an additional leaf, per Neal and others.

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:55 AM

Thank you David,

I'm breathing a bit easier now with your explaintion.......I should have thought about it before I got myself worked up and worried......David K. v Debra driving (and Mike H.) I get it!!!! :biggrin:

(Debra gets to know any new rig, equipment, how it behaves, then goes for it......David, Mike.....:no: :biggrin:) Just GOOOOOOOOOO!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 12:40 PM
Short of airing the tires down......

....has ANYONE found a shock that helps smooth out the sections of freeway that are laid in sections?

I have an F350 4WD ext cab diesel and when I take my Lance off, it is unbearable. Right now I'm using Rancho 9000s set at the softest setting. These are older ones that only have 5 settings.

I am not that concerned with having shocks that will perform well on dirt. I dont really do any hard-core driving on dirt. I want a pavement solution.

Naturally, I am full leaf front and back.

Roberto, anyone, what are you running and what have you heard?
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 03:42 PM

PJ,

I am running custom springs on my truck - from Deaver Spring. I have lost some carrying capacity (not much) but have bought compliance. One of the things Jeff Deaver did was to elminate the top leaf and replace it with a custom made spring curved down instead of up. What this does is not bring that leaf into play at all unless I am loaded down. My DRW is now a SRW, and I'm running 37" Mud-Terrains and Bilstein 7100 shocks. Huge difference off-road - the thing is just unbelievable on washboard. On I-5, I still feel the expansion joints, but I can get up on plane and eliminate them almost completely - I just have to go fast enough :O. (actually about 75). The fact that you feel it so much more sans camper should tell you that the problem is in the stiffness of the springs (it is a one-ton truck, after all), and not the shocks.

I would drive to Santa Ana and talk to Jeff Deaver and see what he comes up with - at least give him a call. I believe they have a website now.

Here are two pictures of my baby as it looks now.

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by Roberto]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 05:04 PM
That's wild!

I never knew that losing two wheels was an option on a DRW truck.

Deaver has been the word up here forever. thanks for the tip.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 05:12 PM

In San Diego I used Frame & Axle in El Cajon.

First I put Bilstiens, dual mounts up front , singles in the back.

Then I took my F-250 down to Frame & Axle empty, they measured all the clearances and such, then I took it back with camper mounted and loaded and they re-measured then they set up truck so that it rides level with or without the camper mounted. Nice people and good work.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 06:53 PM

David,

If you add a leaf to your rear springpack, will your shock absorbers then become too short? Perhaps you need to let whoever does the work know that you are looking for 0"-1" of spring lift. By keeping the lift as short as possible with that add a leaf, you will also keep those Bilsteins within their optimum range of stroke...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 07:01 PM

Ken I know Bilstein and Rancho shocks are good for a 0-2 inch lift. But is good to check anyway.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 07:28 PM

David, I'm not familiar with the Toyota ABS as far as disconnecting it. I would guess there is a fuse that can be pulled. Check with your friendly service department. With the GM trucks there are two fuses. A 10 amp on the drivers side panel and it disconnects everything including the proportioning valve. The normal method is to pull the 60 amp in the engine compartment as this leaves the proportioning in service. If your not driving fast the 10 amp will do. What ever you do be careful at first to make sure your brakes work OK.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:11 PM

Having used RS5000's, RS9000's, TrailMaster's and Pro Comp's MX6 Adjustables (they make a MX6 that is not adjustable) for me the winner is RS9000's hands down. RS5000's are not worth the money at all. I am completely disappointed in the MX6s that I have and will probably pull the RS9000s off my other jeep to replace them on my TJ. For me there is not enough range in the adjustment and the valving seems off.

Every rig is different and so are driving conditions so remember everyone says (Insert Name Here) shocks are awesome and (again, insert name) shocks sucks.

Rancho used to offer a trail period on the RS9000s. You buy, you try. Don't like they will give a refund and I think some of the cost of the labor if you had a shop install them. While it may take a few weeks to get your money back it might be worth it to try them.
roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:15 PM

Not to put any brands down, but all brands mentioned are sub-par to the Fox. Yes, you'll spend a bit more but worth every cent. Depending on budget and what you do while you're driving will dictate which model of Fox. Otherwise, get the Old Man Emu. It's a brand out of Australia and catching on. It's similar in price to the nicer brands mentioned and in my opinion a better product. Plus, they build suspensions for most off-road worthy trucks and SUVs. Now if you're rich don't even think about it.... Kings.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:04 PM

Enjoyed you web site R'Dude!

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I wonder why my '01 didn't do any of that? Is the Toyota as easy to disable the ABS system when I am off road, as the Chevy?

Myabe it was broken in your '01 ;D

As far ar diabling it in your '05, all you should have to do if pull the ABS fuse. You may get a CEL or an ABS light, but that will go away after you reconnect the fuse back on the pavement after a few drive cycles.

-----

Back on topic,
I really like my Rancho 9000 (mounted on a 1996 Tacoma)
I can set them "softer" for driving around town with no load, or "harder" when I have a load, or am off road.

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Taco de Baja]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 09:04 AM

Great!!!

Thanks ... :bounce:

The ABS did work in my '01 (at least I never skidded when panic breaking on pavement... The pedal just never went to the floor and grawled at me like the '05 does, on dirt roads!

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by David K]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.