Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vehicle registration & smogging
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

lol.gif posted on 1-29-2006 at 01:24 PM
Vehicle registration & smogging

I want to bring my Baja truck (Duke):cool: down to Baja Sur and leave it in storage so that I don't have to continue renting cars! (in the last three months, I could have paid for an entire year of storage just from the rental fees!) I hope to leave it there permanently. What is the process for registration, smogging and paying for US insurance, when it will never be driven in the US again, I hope? I did a search of the old post and did not see this addressed.

Thanks,
DianaMo;D
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 02:22 PM

Smogging?:rolleyes:

Just register it in Arizona and fuggitaboudit. You know of course, that leaving it in Mexico is not exactly "permissable". But, I'm TOLD it has been done.

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

mad.gif posted on 1-29-2006 at 02:36 PM
Smogging!

One of those California test that the vehicle must pass before you can renew registration.

Additional information, I hope to have my fidiecomiso in the next few months, then will apply for my FM3. With the FM3 can I register it in Mexico and then fuggitaboudit?:?:

DianaMo;D
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 02:42 PM

Diana:Try this url for some info. Joanna
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 02:55 PM

You can get an exemption of the smog requirement when renewing your registration. All you have to do is fill out a form for DMV, stating that the vehicle stays in Mexico and will never be driven in Ca. You have to show proof of Mexican insurance and then will also be exempt of having to carry Ca. insurance. Hope this helps.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 08:45 AM

Imperial County in Calif doesn't require periodic smog tests. Only on ownership change. Get a address in Calexico - or if you tell DMV you live in Mex, they don't change the county portion or renewal fees. Or - register in S Dakota by mail. for the details see www.rollybrook.com I have a couple regesterd there.

If you have FM2 or 3, do a Temp Importation, which is good for as long as your FM is valid (including renewals) Temp Importation is not required in Baja, but is allowed and your Temp Import Permit is what makes the vehicle current for registration purposes. Of course, a FMT only gives you 6 months.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 01:33 PM

Lou is correct, no smog in Imperial County (El Centro). I transferred my California Registered Bronco II to this county years ago.

I had been using a mail forwarder in Calexico for a couple years. Last year I went to renew my 1984 Bronco II in El Centro and the DMV said I couldn't claim my mail forwarders address (ah busted). She then said 'where do you live?' I asked if I could be honest, she said 'yes', I said 'San Felipe, Baja'. She put that down on my registration with a California mailing address. I then asked her if I could get a drivers license as my Oregon License was expiring and I didn't want to drive up there for renewal. She said 'Yes, you can live in Mexico and have a California Drivers license'. So I took the test and got a drivers license while there.

The reason for keeping the license plates on my Bronco current is in order for my drivers license insurance to be valid, I have to be driving a legally licensed vehicle. BTW, California DMV will accept a one day insurance policy, for the day you renew, and a company here in San Felipe will write a one day policy on my Bronco for less than $20.

Importing is a whole different ballgame which I don't really understand.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.