Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extensive (6 month) Baja 4WD Journal
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 06:38 PM
Extensive (6 month) Baja 4WD Journal

Mexico 05': A journal of Heidi & Tom?s South of the Border Jeep Adventures 2005?

This link is pretty extensive with lots of photography. Very interesting reading...:bounce:

Mexico 05': A journal of Heidi & Tom?s South of the Border Jeep Adventures 2005?

Oops... Here's the link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215776

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Ken Cooke]

Pablo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2006 at 07:24 PM

Nice photos. Enjoyed village scenes.

Pablo
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 07:23 AM

great link, thanks
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 10:44 AM

Incredible... I love all your pics and adventures. I Hope one day a can do

that. Thanks for sharing your really awesome adventure,

Im breathless

Cannt wait to show everyone I know these killer pics and storys.:bounce:
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 02:51 AM
Mexico Trip

Very good article. I must have been in Todos Santos the same time as they were. I didn't make it to the Baja this year, but I can't wait to get down there next year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 07:45 AM

A good natured question... Why do 'almost always' Canadians call Baja California 'The Baja', instead of just 'Baja', for short?

I actually know some people that are bugged by that, I find it fun... like an accent!:spingrin:

In the 70's that was my CB handle... and then when personalized plates went up to 7 letters in California...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:18 PM

Good question David. I never thought about it, and in 20 years of going to "Baja", no one has ever bought it up. I believe your right, it should be just Baja. Old habits die hard, but if I can remember, I'll change and just call Baja California "Baja".
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 07:40 PM

I'm not entirely sure why it bugs me, but it does. I understand that Ukrainians insist that the name of their country is "Ukraine" and get similarly upset about foreigners calling it "The Ukraine". I believe "The Argentine" is archaic. I'm not sure how the "Che's feel about that now. I think it has something to do with the implication of a place as a "region" rather than a sovereign state or nation and thus diminishing its stature.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 09:01 AM

Funny, but Antonio of Baja Cactus... a Baja Californio tells me that The Baja is correct... although he calls it La Baja in Spanish! I questioned him about this at the Mexico Expo, because in one of his handouts, it has The Baja and La Baja on it.

I have heard other Mexicans in Baja California refer to their land as 'The Baja' when speaking English... As in 'How do you like The Baja', etc...

Maybe in their mind it isn't 'The Lower'... 'Baja' is a maybe new word, a state of mind, paradise, etc...!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:02 AM

It Bugs me! It is a sales pitch. Using the term " The Baja" instead of just saying Baja is sensationalism. I find it to be a term used by newer Baja travelers who speak as though they are well seasoned but are not. A term used by a fast talking baja travel magazine sales person who has owned a time share in Cabo for 5 years. They catch you at the palapa bar and try to get you to buy them a margarita as they try to sell you the magazine. It is a common term used by the dreaded time share salesperson.

I have found when the term is used is is usually by someone, who is not Mexican, trying to sell me something I don?t want or need in Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pangamadness
It Bugs me! It is a sales pitch. Using the term " The Baja" instead of just saying Baja is sensationalism. I find it to be a term used by newer Baja travelers who speak as though they are well seasoned but are not. A term used by a fast talking baja travel magazine sales person who has owned a time share in Cabo for 5 years. They catch you at the palapa bar and try to get you to buy them a margarita as they try to sell you the magazine. It is a common term used by the dreaded time share salesperson.

I have found when the term is used is is usually by someone, who is not Mexican, trying to sell me something I don?t want or need in Baja.

Well, Cabo itself bugs me... it is the one place in Baja that is very much not like Baja!

I think you would get bugged by hearing 'The Baja' if you hung around Cabo subjecting yourself to that kind of abuse!:lol:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:55 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, "The Baja"

As a kid in San Diego in the 50's we always referred to Baja California as "the Baja". I think we were being macho, actually, because in those days Baja CA was considered a real wild and wooley frontier, and only the most adventurous went beyond Ensenada. The fact that we did go beyond Ensenada sorta made us (in our own minds) the intrepid "explorers", and we wanted all the non-baja folks to think we were something special. So, we created this mistique about "the Baja" as a huge place beyond the normal: a very special place that most people can only dream about, but that you had to be a little nuts to actually go there. Yeah, it was a macho thing (NO girls EVER would go with us). And you know, I think we were right!!

I still sorta feel that way, but to a much less degree now that the pavement is in, and the "hoards" have found it.
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 05:44 PM

After reading the comments in this post and giving it a little thought, I'm going to continue calling the Baja "The Baja". If someone doesn't like it, who cares? David is right, I have heard Mexicans call it "the Baja". If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 08:57 PM
I think we should call it...

....'The Canada' when one travels north of latitude 49 across 'that' border...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

I guess I should have expected a comment like this from someone with a avatar like yours.

"The Places":
the British Isles
the Yukon
the USSR
the Hawaiian Islands
the United States of America
the Baja, or as they say in Spanish: la Baja
etc.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

I guess I should have expected a comment like this from someone with a avatar like yours.

"The Places":
the British Isles
the Yukon
the USSR
the Hawaiian Islands
the United States of America
the Baja, or as they say in Spanish: la Baja
etc.

Well, not exactly:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=the

the1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th before a vowel; th before a consonant)
def.art.

a) Used before singular or plural nouns and noun phrases that denote particular, specified persons or things: the baby; the dress I wore.
b) Used before a noun, and generally stressed, to emphasize one of a group or type as the most outstanding or prominent: considered Lake Shore Drive to be the neighborhood to live in these days.
c) Used to indicate uniqueness: the Prince of Wales; the moon.
d) Used before nouns that designate natural phenomena or points of the compass: the weather; a wind from the south.
e) Used as the equivalent of a possessive adjective before names of some parts of the body: grab him by the neck; an infection of the hand.
f) Used before a noun specifying a field of endeavor: the law; the film industry; the stage.
g) Used before a proper name, as of a monument or ship: the Alamo; the Titanic.
h) Used before the plural form of a numeral denoting a specific decade of a century or of a life span: rural life in the Thirties.
Used before a singular noun indicating that the noun is generic: The wolf is an endangered species.

a) Used before an adjective extending it to signify a class and giving it the function of a noun: the rich; the dead; the homeless.
b) Used before an absolute adjective: the best we can offer.
Used before a present participle, signifying the action in the abstract: the weaving of rugs.
Used before a noun with the force of per: cherries at $1.50 the box.

I don't see how "the Baja" works in any of these rules except for maybe rule c. I suppose, though, that you could say The Baja States of Mexico.

zac

[Edited on 3-4-2006 by Bajaboy]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 06:41 PM
and bouncing off that long deffinition-----

---------def. 1 c. "used to designate uniqueness"

I think that Baja California qualifies under this deffinition. (but even if it didn't, I would say it anyway) :lol:
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 07:05 PM

Bajaboy, you might want to send that definition to the "World Traveller's Atlas" and to the "Readers Digest Great World Atlas". They are the source of where I obtained "The Places" from.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.