Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TJ Boarder crossing
bajanow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 11:22 AM
TJ Boarder crossing

Several new experiences at the TJ boarder crossing this month. First, upon entry, we were questioned by the Federales(?) and then directed to the side to purchase a tourist card, $20.50. Next, the road was re-routed right turn directly to the boarder fence road and new on-ramp to head south. (There were several military check points, even on on the back road to the beach, the longest and grumpiest, perhaps were fit the profile of drug smugglers)

But the real adventure was upon returning. Missed the new on ramp, but luckly could still do the traditional U-turn on the freeway. Things looked familiar again, made the mistake of relaxing and some how were routed to Otay Mesa crossing. Signage has improved, and after one sketchy drive down an industrial/warehouse road (?) by the baseball diamond we found the crossing. No line waiting to cross, but a very grumpy US Boarder officer. What, after a week of camping and no showers nor shaving, we don't look respectable?

When did the route change throughh TJ and has anyone else had trouble finding the San Yisidro crossing?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

puzzled.gif posted on 2-14-2006 at 01:10 PM
I got south last year with no problem, but

on the way back I lost it and wound up, after asking directions, at Otay Mesa. Were the signs changed then? Generally not too bad, but just North of the line a construction backhoe was parked on the shoulder so traffic was STOP and go most of the way to I-5.:no:

Dr. Drip, how about posting a map for us "once a year" guys.

San Ysidro to Maneadero is the most stressful part of my 1372 mile trip.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 03:11 PM

http://mulege.org/TJ/TJCrossing.htm

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 03:29 PM

For your sanity and peace of mind, you should try the Tecate crossing. A little out of the way but probably faster in the long run.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 05:38 PM

Quote:

San Ysidro to Maneadero is the most stressful part of my 1372 mile trip.

Amen....
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 08:26 PM
San Ysidro - TJ cha cha cha

Going south, and if you want to get on the toll road, as you go through the border, merge with traffic and stay mostly to the right. As you go up the bridge look for the sign that says "Ensenada, Scenic, Cuota, etc." The turn for the toll road is a hard right at the first offramp at the top of the bridge. All this happens in less than 1/2 mile from the border, but the traffic is always slow and congested due to several merging lanes, where drivers from the right lanes want to go left. Relax and go with the flow. The signage has been greatly improved over the last few years, but if you are crossing at night, they aren't well lighted.

If you want to take the free road, go over the bridge and drift over to the far right. Go south on Ninos Heroes Blvd. through the first traffic circle and turn right at the sign two blocks farther that says "Ensenada".

Seriously, I feel far less stressed about driving after crossing the border into TJ - there is a certain amount of caution and courtesy on the road there once you can tap into it.

If there's interest, I'll post on going north back to the U.S. through TJ. :>;)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 09:43 PM

Please, dear God, for a map or good and current directions to Otay Mesa from our beloved Baja to cross back to the US!
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 10:46 PM
Otay Mesa cross.

Otay Mesa is the best way to go when SY has 140 on the right side and some 200 on the left side Otay has 40 to 50, If you stay on the far left side (west) the lane turns in to three lanes about 60 ft from the customs booth. less stress to go across this border crossing and inspectors seem to bee more friendly and don't check as much.. so good luck all your border hoopers..:lol::lol:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 07:48 AM

About 4 yrs. ago I messed up and ended up at Otay Mesa (it was dark) wish I could do that again! :lol:

And when that map is posted (someone offered) please show me how to get into the carpool lane at TJ SY crossing :o I'll even go for Tecate! Thanks.......

I should add, I don't know if anyone else has the same problem as I, but, each time I've screwed up (twice), before the new easier loop to the right going south, I've ended up in a shopping parking lot that I have had to PAY to get out of, then driving around the nice green park..... for a dang hour!!!! :mad: Both times I've flaged over a TJ cop and asked for directions, and both time they have been very helpful (wish I could remember those back streets they showed me to get back toward ES, but of course I'll NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! yeah, right!) and I was off, back on track!

[Edited on 2-15-2006 by Debra]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 08:24 PM
Otay?

Well, go to the Cuahoatemoc circle and head east, uphill towards the airport.

I've never found that route easier or shorter on a time basis.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 08:50 PM

I second that GYPSY...went there once when cops had road closed for TJ...long lines and a LONG drive there and back to 805.....also VERY few signs to help you find border....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.