BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo San Quintin
chickensoup

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 02:45 PM
Cabo San Quintin

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever driven out to the tip of Cabo San Quintin?

Can it be done?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 04:06 PM

yes. the beach on the west side of the peninsula is your path until you get near the end. there is a BIG sand hill that will require 4x4 to get over onto the bay side.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 06:47 PM

Pretty cool drive out there..bad road after the sand dune..surf spot is iffy depending on the sand buildup...
there used to be a guy "Fransisco" who would set traps at low tide and come trade lobbies for whatever...He used to pull up in this old blue mazda b2000 with no hood and an old outboard gas tank on the roof....he would yell "adelante adelante" to his wife in the passenger seat and she would sqeeze the little rubber ball on the gas line that went straight to the engine. Thats how they got out to the point every day to check his traps..

Lots of bugs in the spring/early summer
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 01:09 PM
to the point

I drive out there almost everytime we go the SanQuintin
you take the dirt road by the Military base out to just before the ocean then take a left behind the houses
a road will take you on to a beach there is a high road in the sand need 4x4 to take it
then the road goes up and around some dunes and comes out on some rocks there are some houses there and a serf camp after that the road comes out on to a long beach
drive all the way to the end and up the hill to the left, cant miss the road up its the only one.
once you get to the top there are a few different roads you can take pick one that looks like its going to where you want to end up. we continue over to the bay side at the tip and kayak fish there

[Edited on 2-21-2006 by BajaDanD]

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 01:20 PM
out house

on the way out just after you pass the fish camp, on your left you will see this
It works, you have to use a bucket of salt water to flush it

Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:05 PM

Been there quite a few times. Last was in Oct. on the way home from Conoas. It seems as though the road out to the beach from town had been graded, not to much washboard. I've never got the surf good out there but neat to check out.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:22 PM
serf

After you turn behind the houses and drive along the first streach of beach then go over the hill there is a house with a bunch of chicken coops. It's a realy nice house above a cliff. Right out in front of that house is one of the best places to serf. The serf camp is just a little south just before you come to this bus. After the Toilet you are on a long beach maybe 2-3 miles long that ends at some rocks just before that you can see the road that goes up and over the hill to your left. you can also drive around by going straight, the road goes along the rocks but you need a rock crawling type vehicle and big BALLS to go that way I have seen it done but I aint gonna try it.

Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:31 PM

Ya, Ive surfed all those spots, Just haven't seen it big out at the point
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:47 PM
point

Yeah! Ive only seen it big at the point while I was out fishing in a panga we were on our way in and stopped off a ways and watched there were two guys serfing but it looked way too big. All the other times I have been out there it was no big deal. Ive seen bigger and better breakers on the sand bar near the mouth of the bay. But like anywhere else you need the right conditions for it to be big and serfable. I'm looking for small serf or no serf at all so I can launch my kayak through it to go fishing. Too old and too beat up to try to tackle big serf. We were in San Quintin yesterday on our way back from San Ignacio we were going to stop for one day there but it was too windy
DanD

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.