BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: panaderia carmen
seth

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:32 AM
panaderia carmen

when we went down in dec and back up in jan Panaderia Carmen was closed, he was getting old, did he pass on?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 10:42 AM

Might help us all if we knew where it is.:tumble:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 10:51 AM

Is that the P. Carmen up around Colonet or Santo Tomas? Blue building that sits a bit above the road on the west side? I always notice it, and have wondered if it is good, but have never stopped. Please tell us more about it , Seth. :)
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:35 AM

Paula; the Blue or Purple Bakery just as yougo into Colonet has been ther for many years. It is reported that Miller, who wrote theBaja Guide had something to do with it being opened many years ago. Seems as if there was no place to get Pan after leaving Ensenada, so Miller talked the owner ito opening the Balery. It is listed in one of the Books about drving the Baja road..

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:38 AM

Skeet, I found a reference to that place in 'Eating your way through Baja', by Miller. I wish there were more like it along the Baja Road. The La Baguette in Ensenada has gone downhill these last couple of years.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 12:08 PM

You Know Pomp; those Miller people where 'Good people".
I had been going to Cabo Pulmo in my Cessna 170b, diving on the Reef, then sleeping in the plane for a couple of years, when one time I flew in and they were just completeing their Ramada. Gave me the old Texas Treatment. Real Nice peple@

Skeet
seth

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 12:30 PM

jeez, i thought everyone knew about it, so didn't need to say where it was. punta colonet area.

we've stopped there many many times, originally cause it was mentioned in the Baja Book, but the guy really was the best. tiny little place, he took a ton of pride in his work.

the panaderia in el rosario is very good and the baker there seems to have quite a bit of soul, too, but we missed Carmen.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 12:38 PM
I stopped an P. Carmen once.....

...with high expectations.

I was disappointed. Most everything was day-old (at best) and we were there in the morning. Bolillos were just shy of rock hard.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 01:38 PM

Do any of you stop in Santa Rosa lita at the Bakery for the good Boletas.
It is about 4 blocks off the hwy on the Main Street. if you go in the Back you can still see them mixing dough with large Tubs. I have not been by in years.

Skeet
seth

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 02:11 PM

that place is epic. the fancy bakery in tecate is sweet as well. but there's something about the small ones -- dropping 10$ and having breakfast for many days...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 02:37 PM

Based upon Miller's comments on the place in The Baja Book series, I'd stopped there quite a few times.

The bolillos would be baked in the middle of the day and in a fabric-covered container by the door.

I always enjoyed my stops there. It's been a few years since I did make a stop, and am uncertain as to the current situation.

The gentleman there was always very gracious.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:44 PM

The connection with Tom Miller was more about the the business generated by Tom's writing about it... having over taxed the baker with increased business to change the building color from Purple to Green... (to hide it from gringos looking for the famous purple panaderia)!!!

Purple Panaderia sounded better than Green Panaderia... so the color was changed again... This was back in the mid-seventies.

Note to Skeet... Yes, Tom and Shirley Miller had a palapa get-a-way at Cabo Pulmo... The Hurricane Kathlene (?) about '76 did it in...
I last communicated with Shirley about a year ago... she was in Washington state. Tom died from cancer over ten years ago...

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 10:29 AM

I stopped there about 2 years ago and my friends were intrigued with his operation. The baker was very kind and spent some time with us showing us the beehive style, woodburning oven. He said you have to be careful to make the fire just so, so that it will heat and cook evenly. He said he gets up at 3 am, and is finished with all his baking by 6:30. He makes all the usual Mexican varieties of pastries himself.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 01:57 PM

Thanks for the infor David. When I first started going down in my Plane there would always show up in a very leaking wood boat operated by a guy name Jose. He insisted on charging $5 to take you out to the Reef and back. The first time out we had to swim back pulling the Boat. From then on I told him I would pay him to watch my Plane and I would swim out.

The Millers-- Fine People!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.