Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The "Gas Gap"
marcos-el-malo

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 04:40 PM
The "Gas Gap"

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning on riding my motorcycle thru Baja this March, maybe as far as Todos Santos. I've got a Suzi GZ 250 (250 cc) which is a small cruiser style. I'll be sticking to the main roads, and only going around 200 miles a day since it's such a small bike. (I've ridden it from L.A. to S.F and back, no problem, but 400 miles on it were very tiring.)

My cruising range on a full tank of gas is about 150 miles (3.2 gallons, 48 mpg roughly). I've been told that I need to carry a gas can for a certain stretch that has no gas stations (the "gas gap"), but I'm not sure where this gas gap is located.

Any information, tips, or advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Marcos El Malo
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 05:08 PM

I have driven my Vulcan many times through what you call the 'gas gap'...never had any fuel problems myself. But maybe I am going faster and can coast a lot further!!;)

Fill it when you can and you should have no problems whatsoever. I see lots of similar bikes making the trip without gas cans. If you happen to indeed run out...just stand there holding up an empty can or whatever. Someone will give you gas. Been there...done that.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 05:50 PM

The gas at Catavena is non existent at this time - as of Tuesday it looked like they were putting in new tanks - the whole area was all dug up - gas was still available in 5 gal cans here and at punta prieta -
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 07:04 PM

At Catavina the "official" gas pumps are generally 'cerrado'
The guy across the street at the old, closed Pemex generally has gas out of cans, about a buck per gallon more, but worth it.
(The restaurant right there on the East side of the highway is really good!)
If both are out then ask around, the motel just a few steps North has gas in cans.
The LABay turnoff usually has gas in cans. The Llantera at Laguna Chapala probably would sell you enough for your bike.
And yes, when all else fails, a ranch house or a passing motorist will always be good for a couple of gallons.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:24 PM

For some milage details as you don't really know where these places are at:

Border to El Rosario: 225 miles Many gas stations along this stretch with the final top off at El Rosario. Motel next door to station 'Baja Cactus' is excellent and cheap (ask for new/remodeled room).

El Rosario to next gas (Catavi?a) is 76 miles. Sold by independant dealer on left side of highway... his name is Alfonso and he hauls cans of gas from El Rosario to sell here for the needs of travelers.

The next gas is 64 miles from Catavi?a (140 from El Rosario) at the junction with the 41 miles good paved highway to Bahia de los Angeles (highly recommend you pop in there)... Sold by 1 or 2 independant vendors on the right side of highway, just past the Y to Bahia de L.A.

There is a new gas station in Bahia de L.A. open during the day except from 2-4pm (siesta).

South of the Bahia de L.A. junction about 60 miles is Villa Jesus Maria with a gas station... and even better, Carmalita's tamales... sold out of her van parked there... YUM!

22 miles from Jesus Maria is the state border (note tall eagle monument you have been seeing for many miles, wondering what that is). A gas station is there and again another in the nearby town of Guerrero Negro about 2 miles south and 2 miles west from the border (where you show your Tourist Card you got at the border in Tijuana.

From the Eagle Monument south, gas is no problem... but top off in Ciudad Constitucion for the long lonely run to La Paz... 130 miles away.

Do not pass up a chance to buy gas if you are below half a tank... as the next place may be closed!

Get the AAA Baja map... milages and gas stations shown Available from many online sources like bajabooksandmaps.com, mapworld.com, discoverbaja.com...

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marcos-el-malo

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:24 PM

Thank you all!
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 10:19 PM

If you get gas at Santa Rosalia, watch for a crooked pump. They'll have 25 liters in before you even get the tank open. I'd fill up at San Ignacio and then head for Mulege.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 12:04 AM

His tank only holds 3.2 gallons... but the Santa Rosalia pump will probably get 4 gallons into it before it is full!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Good point Marcos el Malo, The station in Santa Rosalia is notorious for being way out of calibration and mis-counting change... Good idea to get pesos for Baja... less chance of rip offs and getting the most for your money.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 12:41 AM

We topped off from the barrels in Catavina on the way to Gonzaga Bay last Thanksgiving. Three dollars a gallon, full serve and some pleasant conversation to go with it. Try getting that from Arco.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT
We topped off from the barrels in Catavina on the way to Gonzaga Bay last Thanksgiving. Three dollars a gallon, full serve and some pleasant conversation to go with it. Try getting that from Arco.

if you buy from the independents you need to have some way to filter the Gas. some of the barrels are very rusty inside. a funnel with a peace of finely woven cloth will save you lots of headaches latter.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.