Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Bartola
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:22 PM
San Bartola

We just got back from 4 weeks below the border and I will have many more stories to tell.....

I am waiting until we finish unpacking in hopes of finding the camera we somehow misplaced/lost/stolen....

I drove through San Bartola going south to droop my wife and kids at the airport and then back through going north on the return to La Ventana. I have driven through San Bartola at least two other times over the past few years but never took note. This was to be the trip that we stopped to meet JR...

On the way south, you are going downhill and your view looking into the surrounding hills and valleys is limited. Coming from the south, you get a must better view of the area including a few stands of bamboo in the valley below town. There are many apparently spring-fed palm groves in many little valleys surrounding the town.

The place is a charming oasis with groves of palms and lots of beaugenville. It has a bit of that mediterranean hillside town feel. The indoor/outdoor taco place along the main road has some great food as well as a great view.
The town feels as comfortable as it is colorful.
I can see what attracted JR to the place.

Future posts may include;
Stranded offshore in a 10' inflatable with wife and 2 kids
Stuck at El Requeson for 7 Horrible Days
Windiest Wind Ever in La Ventana
Reports; Potrera, El Pabellon, El Padrita, Manfreds .. more
Almost Arrested in Cuidad Constitution
Los Muertos or Fantasy Land ?
Feasting at Pompano's
A Through-the-Bars Chat with Bruce Leech
Ripped Again ! Pemex Santa Rosalia Got Me !
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:29 PM

Tell me I'm seeing things !

I just checked the list to see who was online and it listed jrbaja as currently online. Is he really back or is that Carol keeping in touch ?

I'll assume it's Carol, welcome. It's obvious how large a personality JR had become for many people. This was a home of his.... you know.
He will be remembered and missed for a long time to come.
My kids heard about JR, the "Bamboo Man" as we drove through San Bartola......

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Diver]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 02:53 PM

Diver
Cant wait to hear more tales. Hope that you find that camera.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 03:06 PM

Seven horrible days at Requeson? Never had 7 bad minutes there in a ton of visits. Can't wait for that tale.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 03:25 PM

Hey Diver, welcome back to the forum. It sure sounds like you had a memorable trip down south and back. Can't wait to read your tales...good and bad! Requeson, huh? A very unusual place to be disappointed...must have been a caravan or thieves.

Felipa says Hola to you and your great family.

Drive safe, Rogelio

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 03:45 PM

OK, OK, It wasn't really horrible at El Requeson!
Just all that sun, sand, laying around, eating shrimp, etc. can really get to you after a while !! You'll have to wait for the horrid details !
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 04:15 PM

LOL Well start typing....I need to read about a Baja Trip, I've gotafew more months untilI can go.

San Bartolo, we always it thelaststand before thehill heading south. Great empanadas andfresh fruit.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 10:36 AM

I had great empinadas all over sur. Potato and veggie for breakfast, pork and veggie for lunch....apple or pinapple for desert.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.