Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: la paz in March
msrla
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2003 at 12:16 PM
la paz in March

Is mid March a nice time to be in La Paz? I'm thinking of taking my family down, grandma and kids included! I've been down there several times but not in March. What can I expect weather-wise? Are there whales in the sea of cortez? Is the water warm enough for swimming? Thanks for all your input!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2003 at 11:26 PM
March is a great time of year to go.

The water's still a little nippy, but you get nice warm days and by American standards, the water's still way warmer than at Manhattan Beach on the hottest day of summer. If it's a windier day, just go to some of the warmer, shallower beaches like Balandra or El Tesoro. If your kids are small, they're great beaches anyway. If you like a little depth and don't mind it a little cooler, go out to Tecolote or ride out to San Juan de los Planes or San Jose. In any case, the beaches will be pretty much all yours. Mexicans don't come out of hibernation until semana santa, when the beaches pack up with people who are camping out for a couple of weeks. The comeradery can be nice, but many people bring boom boxes and stay up drinking half the night and throw a lot of trash out. If you can go before that, you get to see La Paz in the cleanest state it will be in all year. Also, if you have a child that chills easily, I highly recommend buying a neoprene "shorty" suit. They can tolerate cool water really easily with them. Cost is about 50 bucks at a dive shop. Although whales do come through, I've never seen one. You kind of have to be at the right place at the right time. All in all, the mornings are cool, but March is one of the best times of the year to be in La Paz. Be sure and keep Saturday evenings or Sunday afternoons open for strolling the Malecon. It's a really good thing to do with the whole family. I'd book those reservations if I had the chance. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 10:19 PM
Correction: OOPS

I meant to say San Juan de La Costa when I said San Jose. Don't know where that slipped out from. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
msrla
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 10:14 AM

thanks for your input Stephanie. We actually have a timeshare at La Concha and have the choice of going down March or April. I thought March would be better because we'd have a better chance of whales...Our little girl will be 2 1/2, so the shallow beach there is perfect for her (one of the reasons we bought there).
I also see a lot of Blue Whale cruises in the sea of cortez around that time...maybe it's way out. Do you think April would be better weather wise? It's hard to decide!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.