Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 07:21 AM

Barry, just saw this timely article on line

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/17266.html

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 09:07 AM

I burned only Premium in my 1997 Dodge V10, from both the old country and Baja, for the first 50,000 miles. For the next 80,000 miles I have burned only regular, again from both the old country and Baja.

I burned a hole in piston #9 at 13,000. The mechanic said the V10 will either grenade or run for hundreds of thousands miles. I don't think running regular has harmed the engine at all. From what I read above, I think I owe that to the onboard electronics making the whole fuel/octane/mixture right. It is a fuel injected engine.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 01:45 PM
Judy-------

-----many thanks for the link to the article on gas station "stings"-------that is so disconcerting, but I guess I am not "that" surprised-------ohhhhh, boyyyyyyy!!! Hope they do this in Baja, soon.

This makes my arguments seem somewhat superficial. :lol:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 01:57 PM

Barry, there was a Nomad who actually did a study on which Pemex pumps were accurate. By now probably useless information but he did mention Cerro Colorado near me and I started using it. If I remember correctly, he took a 5 liter can and had them fill it. Or maybe took a 5 gallon can and knew the liter amount.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What does the owners manuel say? It should give the octane requirement...

My '05 Tacoma with the 4.0 V-6 runs great on 87 octane regular here and Magna in Mexico... no pinging (pre-ignition/ dieseling) which (if happens) is the reason for using a higher octane/ premium fuel.

The owner's manual says 87 (91 research). I just have never known exactly what the pump numbers are. and 87 and 91 generally appear. I do know that non-pinging is the major if not only reason for higher octane.

Thanks.

bill

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 07:40 PM

87 octane is Magna in Mexico and Regular Unleaded in San Diego County.

91 octane is 'Premium' in both places.

Not sure if I understand all of your post/ question. The 'pinging' is the gas detonating BEFORE the spark plug fires because LOW octane fuel detonates (ignites, explodes) EASIER or at a lower temperature than HIGH octane....

So, as the piston is coming back up and compressing the air/fuel mixture, the lower octane gas ignites from the heat and that pinging is the piston shaking because the stroke is still pushing it up to meet the spark plug after the 'pre-ignition' has occured... Also, very hot weather, high compression engines or a carbon particle (glowing, like a diesel glow plug) can also cause pre-ignition/ pinging.

The purpose of HIGHER octane gas is to prevent the pinging... IF your gasoline powered vehicle doesn't ping (or 'diesel' ie. keep running after you turn off thr ignition) on REGULAR GAS ... then there is no reason to buy more expensive PREMIUM (that I am aware of).

I am not a fuel chemist, but have mechanical training and certification and that is what I remember from those college days!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.