Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "La Chifladora"
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 07:57 AM
"La Chifladora"

What does this nickname mean?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:26 AM

The whistler?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:33 AM

Yah, when I had a Baja chat room a few years ago, Whistler (Glenn) used that handle...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 10:18 AM

...also means a few ants short of a picnic, off the deepend in love, and various other forms of craziness.

chiflar-- the verb-- is to hiss, boo, or catcall. Silbar is to whistle a tune.

What (or who) is it the nickname of? If that isn't a too-personal question,of course

;);)
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
...also means a few ants short of a picnic, off the deepend in love, and various other forms of craziness.

chiflar-- the verb-- is to hiss, boo, or catcall. Silbar is to whistle a tune.

What (or who) is it the nickname of? If that isn't a too-personal question,of course

;);)

I believe it can also be used as a ... well, "chifles a tu mauser" does not mean whistle at/on your gun :lol::lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 12:25 PM
La Chifladora?....Then THIS good-humored fellow is one!

Nice memories from an older Baja.

Many years ago, we used to beach camp at Coyote Bay...not the current camping beach, but a little further north where the houses are today. A very tranquil spot that we looked eagerly looked forward to every year. While camped we were treated each morning to a merry whistler who came walking over to our camps from Rancho El Coyote which is just across the road. He was Manuel Diaz, son of oldtimer, Bonafacio Diaz (Bony was himself an old legendary character). We had met him and had become friends from a previous trip.

Manuel was the best diver and fisherman in these parts back then..and also was an invaluable assistant in a couple of Earl Stanley Gardener expeditions. He did a lot of cooking too, and could make anything delicious.

La Chifladora?....for sure. He had a very infectous smile and was always whistling or singing and in a happy mood. A thoroughly charming man who became a fast friend of many decades now.

I guess he would qualify as a good example of a "Chifladora". Manuel is on the left in the photo below.

BTW..my Dad was a champion 'chifladora', too.

[Edited on 3-13-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 12:42 PM

Great story and picture, Pompano! I feel like I understand the word now.

I can almost hear the music... Ojala que yo pueda de veras!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 01:07 PM
A younger chifladora...Manuel.

Grande grouper, amigo! He dove for this one right in front of where we camped years later in Coyote Bay.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 06:22 PM
Thanks to all--from my next book

Excerpt from Fishing Down Don Jimmy?s Way

Anyway, there I sat nursing my fourth rum and coke while I waited for my friend to wander off his favorite fishing boat the ?Suzie T.? I had listened to Ed extol the experience of it?s skipper, Eduardo or ?Bola? for at least 400 of the almost 900 miles we drove to get to this fishing paradise. Me? Heck! I don?t fish or eat fish and I sure don?t get on one of those little boats because once I do all I end up doing is chumming for fish.

What was Mr. Mac drinking? Why anything I was willing to buy. He started telling a tale about a couple of lady fisherpersons and I told him to order anything he wanted and that I would appreciate if he would start over and to speak a bit clearer. So here is his story???????.

We came upon a string of make-shift buoys and the Mario swung over to the and the bleeding mackerel went off. I grabbed the rod, set the hook and passed it off to the ?Whistler.? The mate, Miguel, pulled the jigs and I threw out a bait. The bait was hit several times but, no cigar. Miguel had another bait in the water with the same problem?small fish?again. Whistler was gaining on her fish now, a nice one, and I told the deck hand to pull his line, cut up some of the chorras into stripes and then help the whistler with her fish. I baited up with a fresh cut strip and tossed it toward the buoy. I hooked up and passed the rod to Lucy. Whistler was in the chair and her fish was close now and looked to be at least 20 pounds. Lucy didn?t want to land the fish standing up, so I kept a tight line on it until Whistler got her fish in?about 30 pounds?and got out of the chair. Lucy climbed in and took the other rod. Miguel baited up with a fresh strip and hooked up a few minutes later. Most of the fish were running 10-12 pounds now. We continued this scenario until we ran outta bait. Final fish count was 20 dorado and one lost marlin. The girls were exhausted but they had a ball.

On the way in, Whistler insisted that the crew put up 20 flags. When they only put up 18, she wanted to know where the other two were. The Captain told her that they didn?t have anymore flags. With that she pulled off her bikini and threw it up to Miguel and hollered,
?fly these two and that will make 20.?

Thus the nickname---La Chifloadora

Thanks and stay tuned

[Edited on 3-14-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.