Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road query for David K
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 02:14 PM
Road query for David K

Some time ago you indicated on one of your posts that the main Baja road was no longer called Highway One. I didn't know a change had been made--what's the new number?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 07:49 PM

That's news to me Lera... Please post my mistake unless it was some confusion of terms.

Mexico Highway #1 is the Baja Transpeninsular Highway from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas... and I would consider it the 'main Baja road'.

It was also to be named after Benito Juarez, but I never saw much in print about that after 1974.

[Edited on 3-14-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:32 PM

I must have misunderstood you--it was in your reply to my post about the wacky reversed road sign for Santa Maria and Guerrero Negro. Glad I was wrong, Highway 1 has a nice ring to it.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 09:09 AM

Oh, this?:

posted on 3-6-2006 at 06:56 PM

"Yes, I got a laugh out of that!

Big new overhead sign for south bound traffic where the former Highway 1 route rejoins the newer detour route... This is the south paved access to Cielito Lindo in the area known as Santa Maria."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Highway 1 ROUTE is correct...

Highway 1 originally went straight south from San Quintin/ Lazaro Card##as and at the junction to Cielito Lindo was the first Parador (remember those?)... then the highway passed through Santa Maria and turned to the southeast and went past Pabellon's road (at Nuevo Odesia).

After repeated washouts north of the parador at the river crossing, they MOVED Highway one inland, up that hill (where the liquor store sits) then curves south over the big bridge, past Los Pinos plant (at the Cielito Lindo/ La Pinta extended driveway)...

... the newer Highway 1 route rejoins the former where that new overhead sign (that points the wrong way) is located.

Does this help make my post clear?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 04:39 PM

Thank you, DK, it does. What you meant as former route, I interpreted as former name--probably because I wasn't aware the road had been moved inland.

Whatever, I'm glad they haven't changed the name, and that the Benito Juarez Ruta Memorial--or whatever that alternate was--has apparently been forgotten. That would have been quite a mouthful.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 05:36 PM

10-4 Lera!

Mexicans don't seem to mind long names, however! Take, for example, the little town on Hwy. 3 between Ensenada and San Felipe called EJIDO DE LOS HEROES DE LA INDEPENDENCIA...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.