BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ZeeWhatAnejo...(fun spelling)
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 03:20 PM
ZeeWhatAnejo...(fun spelling)

Greetings Pomp; >>>>> Spent some days on the beach of small village called Papanoa south of Zihuatanejo Christmas of 1956.. The ocean floor there was paved with giant abalone.. Dive site about half mile off shore with a few of the many sharks there longer than I am tall and very curious.. Had to swim out.. Two old auto tyre inner tubes with gunny sack centers full of abs.. What a haul!! White sand beaches in both directions as far as the eye sees.. Chased armadillos at night with flashlights with the natives but didn't catch any.. Local ladies went bare breasted (no hoesemfrmflopim).. Best beach scene ever! >>>>>>> Kindest Regards,sq.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 07:04 PM
Zihuatanejo...a great place in fifties and sixties...

Hey, sq...thanks for bringing back some good memories of another time and place.

"Greetings Pomp; >>>>> Spent some days on the beach of small village called Papanoa south of Zihuatanejo Christmas of 1956.. The ocean floor there was paved with giant abalone.. Dive site about half mile off shore with a few of the many sharks there longer than I am tall and very curious.. Had to swim out.."

I loved that place too. Went there the first time in 1963. Three of us from Acapulco in an open-air Jeep on a rugged old-time trail, mostly dried-up riverbed. We were guided and scuba-instructed by Alfonso Arnold, a champion Mexican diver of his day we had met and hired in Acapulco.

We were shot at by 'Acapulco Gold' pot-growers in the mountains, had great times on a place called Frenchman's Island, swam and dove the bay with giant manta rays and clouds of fish. First time towed by a sea-turtle, were guests of a crazy Englishman doing an archeaological 'dig', and had a thoroughly great hoot of a trip.

Alfonso took us out a little ways to an underwater mountain he knew about and down we went. He got down quicker and by the time I got to the bottom he had ahold of a large saw-tooth shark and was being towed away...I wish I had had a great underwater camera with me that day. I would have some photos like Ken brought back from Kilme Bay.

Fun times...but like most places on the mainland, best left to memories. We flew back much later when there were high-rise hotels, etc. I am glad you and I were there when it was real. Most people will never know what it was really like...something like Baja, I fear.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 06:39 PM

Been there back then.

Wife and I stayed in a Casa de Huespedes in town, slept on canvas cots. The lady of the house had a framed picture of a brick neocolonial house with green lawn like a million other homes throughout suburbia USA. Nothing to me, it was her ideal of paradise, living in a thatch-roofed paradise. WTF?

Went to Los Gatos, snorkeled and had a lobster dinner (wasn't allergic yet) The lady chef sent her son to swim out to a floating trap they maintained to retrieve dinner., Gold was 100p/kilo then.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-20-2006 at 09:00 PM
The squarecircle, Oso, soulpatch and all...Old Days in Acapulco

This photo was taken the same year we went up to Zihuatanejo with Alfonso. Caught this sailfish on my first charter out of Acapulco..plus some dorado right in the bay. Jumped off the boat with a deckhand and got a ride on a turtle. Caleta Beach...El Mirador...Rebecca's...the bullfights..oh yeah. What times they were..some long days and nights, but we were young and invincible.

Glad we found Baja. Acapulco/Zihautanejo, .....like the past, is nothing but a bucket of ashes. (Finally...I have ALWAYS wanted to use that quote somewhere!)

[Edited on 3-21-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 01:48 AM

Greetings all: >>>>>> Was lucky enough to have lived in D.F. (3yrs.) way back then experiencing many far out life scenes that were, to many a listener, unbelievable.. Always wanted to relive those great times, but I now know better.. Memory still somewhat intact and not just a bucket of ashes --- YET.. Without these memories --- Are we just dust in the wind?? >>>>> Best Regards. sq.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.